Flying Dragon R-3D

Not only have I not had that problem before but I can't find any answers online about this issue. I would think after restarting max it may no longer be a problem.

Outside is done except the tail gear.

Here's a quick render.

Attachments

• FD 1.jpg
    FD 1.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 19
Wing ribs are started, and mirror seems to be working again. It's amazing how many polys a detailed set of bones eats up. Ribs alone for one wing are around 2500, not including any formers between them. Pics to come later.

Wing ribs are started, and mirror seems to be working again. It's amazing how many polys a detailed set of bones eats up. Ribs alone for one wing are around 2500, not including any formers between them. Pics to come later.

Yeah, I would have loved to actually do the ribs on my RAF FE2b and now on the Bristol F2b. But it is just so expensive, especially if the wing has many of them. Say you add lines for the rib itself, and then two lines close by to each side. That allows the rib to stick up and then then relax down to the original level. I think the new polygon count is (3x + 1) * y where x is the number of ribs and y is the original number of polygons for the wing section without the ribs.

So say a wing had 500 polys to start with and 10 new ribs. The new poly count is roughly (3x10 + 1) * 500 = 15,500 polys.

Executive summary: Your wings better have very few polys to start with if you are going to manually add ribs.

Yeah, I would have loved to actually do the ribs on my RAF FE2b and now on the Bristol F2b. But it is just so expensive, especially if the wing has many of them. Say you add lines for the rib itself, and then two lines close by to each side. That allows the rib to stick up and then then relax down to the original level. I think the new polygon count is (3x + 1) * y where x is the number of ribs and y is the original number of polygons for the wing section without the ribs.

So say a wing had 500 polys to start with and 10 new ribs. The new poly count is roughly (3x10 + 1) * 500 = 15,500 polys.

Executive summary: Your wings better have very few polys to start with if you are going to manually add ribs.

Im not sure we are talking about the same thing here. Im doing actual structure to accommodate the transparent covering.

Attachments

• NS2.jpg
    NS2.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 14
Im not sure we are talking about the same thing here. Im doing actual structure to accommodate the transparent covering.

You are right. I was talking about the trick you did on your Pitts where you did the ribs sticking up without bump mapping.

But bones would be real expensive too.

Yup. And I've got the entire model to attempt. Everywhere I have shaded red in my render is transparent. The entire bottom is transparent, so there's no shortcuts either.

Hmmmmm.............Max doesnt like rendering through transparent materials, huh. Makes my ribs look trashy:eek:

Attachments

• NS2.jpg
    NS2.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 12
  • new start.jpg
    new start.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 9
Why is it it's always Max's fault? :) You need to lower the reflectivity and set up the lighting.

This is not even the best render I've seen Max do.

Attachments

• FINAL_IMAGE_BIG.jpg
    FINAL_IMAGE_BIG.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 16
Bottom shot of a little lunch time progress. Front spar and tip spar done.

Attachments

• new start.jpg
    new start.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 14
Back