Formal address to KE concerning the ratings

I said nothing about just joining. Your support is as valuable as anyone else's.

As to your second point, I think the contrary is true. I believe that 100 new members joining the forum specifically to show support for our concern would speak volumes to KE.

Sorry, my reply was actually in reaction to the post above yours, but I hit reply on your post.

Scott.
I recommend that anybody who is serious about getting the attention of Great Planes and RealFlight boycott future products until they figure it out.

!

Guess you missed this ...
Speaking for my self and I THINK everyone else
No one here who has agreed to withhold swap page content ,in doing so ,
have never nor will ever
advocate not buying RF products .....I think it safe to say we'd like to see MORE people purchase RF
The "strike" is an attempt by content creators to change the ratings system...nothing more
go back to post 38 or so and read the rest of the thread ........all of the custom content creators have stated we DON'T ADVOCATE OR WANT A BOYCOTT

Last edited:
Scott.

Guess you missed this ...
go back to post 38 or so and read the rest of the thread ........all of the custom content creators have stated we DON'T ADVOCATE OR WANT A BOYCOTT

Seems you are right, so I guess the only people that are the inconvenienced here are the parasites like myself that love to use the models and scenes created by the geniuses but can't (or have not taken the time to learn how) make their own.

Strange situation. KE has a policy that the talented folks don't care for, so they cut off the consumers of their work in an effort to influence KE -- but they don't want the consumers to do anything to influence KE.

I guess I have not been around long enough to understand that logic.

There is something you can do, and in a way, you've done it. You can express your support in our action. We feel like the more people we can get behind us, the better the chance of eliminating the ratings system that we the modelers don't care for. It has been such a source of stress since its inception.

We value your support ................
But we have influenced KE !
If you'd read the WHOLE thread you'd know that
Jim ( KE's head honcho , Senior Sargent and resident big cheese),told us that they are very busy getting RF6.5 Ready for its release some time next moth or so and then they will do something ... which is total understandable... After all it sounds like they're working their collective butts off to GIVE us all a new and improved Sim

Jims word that something will be done afterward is good enough for us to wait and see whats done...

No need to boycott RF...then who would fly our creations ?
That would be would be counter productive

Last edited:
The good people at KE have always done what they could to support their customers, up to and including, changes to the forums/swaps, added features to the software (grapple hook), ability to import custom sounds, etc., etc, etc.

Sometimes things don't go as quickly as some of the population would like, but this is still niche software for a niche market and their resources are assigned where needed most based on order of priority. I enjoy RF a lot as well as a few other sims on the market. There is no reason to boycott this product.

Agreed... Also no new purchases or downoads until the modelers are satisfied. That's all a user can do. If you are not treated right but keep modeling but not posting models, then I will continue to use my sim but no downloads or upgrades until resolution. I think it is fair to not download if you do not upload? It's all we sim vampires can do. I hope you understand that point, even though you seem to resist it.

Last edited:
Again, we do not advocate not buying RF or related products. All we are asking non-modelers to do is to state that you support our effort, if you agree with our line of thought. That is all we need to convince KE that the ratings system is meaningless and detrimental to the swap pages.

We designers and users must agree to disagree. Of coarse everyone is free to make there own decisions on this matter. I think what we designers want to get across is that our intention with this "strike" is to have something changed that only really affects us, the ratings system. We Accept the support of anyone sympathetic with this cause here in this thread, but never wished for a boycott of any kind. While we can't stop you from taking that kind of action, we do hope you reconsider this and just pledge your support with a simple "agreed". We do have KEs attention and have a promise to make changes after they release RF6.5 some time after October. We do hold firm with this "strike" until this promise is fulfilled. However we will download and enjoy the next version of our favorite RC flight sim and urge everyone to do the same. Thanks for the unexpected but appreciated support.

Again, we do not advocate not buying RF or related products. All we are asking non-modelers to do is to state that you support our effort, if you agree with our line of thought. That is all we need to convince KE that the ratings system is meaningless and detrimental to the swap pages.

i agree , drop the rating system , not RF and related products .

I believe that the ratings system affects both modelers and downloaders. You can set your calendar by regular threads complaining about the ratings system. People rate files low just to try to retaliate against specific people. Relying on the low rating, a potential downloader may avoid a file that he would actually like. Swap files are free. There is no need to gauge (by way of ratings) how good a file might be. A user need only download and import the file, and try it. If he likes it, great. If not, no money lost. It was free anyway.

That's just one part of the problem. Another part is that the ratings system has driven away several modelers over time, resulting (obviously) in less models posted to the swaps.

I support this strike completely.
I hope that this issue is solved to your satisfaction and motivation so when RF 6.5 comes out you people will be working overtime for all of us!;)

Claus

I believe that the ratings system affects both modelers and downloaders. You can set your calendar by regular threads complaining about the ratings system. People rate files low just to try to retaliate against specific people. Relying on the low rating, a potential downloader may avoid a file that he would actually like. Swap files are free. There is no need to gauge (by way of ratings) how good a file might be. A user need only download and import the file, and try it. If he likes it, great. If not, no money lost. It was free anyway.

That's just one part of the problem. Another part is that the ratings system has driven away several modelers over time, resulting (obviously) in less models posted to the swaps.

I have been watching this thread unfold for a while now and have sit back and have just taken it all in, But i think Jeff has nailed it here, This rating system is and has been broke for a long time and is hurting the knife edge community as a whole. All the drama and fighting this has caused over the last few years must come to a end. It should be a known fact that the people here that model,av and cs, must enjoy what they do for free in their spare time so the whole community can have extra content to add the Realflight experience, otherwise the swap area would empty.

This thread in no way promotes stop using or buying Knife edge software, only the
cause that is listed, nothing more...I have not been active in any new models in sometime but feel i still have a voice in this matter, and you have my total support.

Thanks,

Brentg

They may work out a couple issues and then do a public release under another number. But even when they do go public with whatever version, they'll continue working on RF. it's either that, or call it quits, you know? They'll never be done.

Back