Formal address to KE concerning the ratings

I know they will continue working on RF, but I've been a user since before G2 and the beta has always been what we end up getting. They should have addressed the ratings issue by now? Its so easy to do isn't it??

Many times, as I said in my previous post, they release a public version that was not released as a beta. Even the last RF 6 version went that way. The beta version was .052, and the public version was .054. The same was true with the previous public version. It was never released as a beta either.

At any rate, I see chatter in this thread as a good thing.

Yup and I hope Ryan pays attention to so we can get the little bug out of the way that is affecting the Syncro and other similiar planes, before the final shipping release.

Ratings bad:(

I've been watching this unfold for a while, and for what it is worth, I totally support the modellers. The rating system IS broken and has been for quite a while.

I follow the builds and know which modellers produce quality content. I will always look out for these models.

If I am after anything in particular, I will do a search, download the content if it looks ok, and try it. If I don't like it, it is no big loss. (The search could be tweaked though).

There ARE too many kids making a mockery of ratings and it SHOULD be removed.

Otherwise, keep up the excellent work (this is both to the quality modellers mentioned in other posts and KE)...thank you.

While we are in the mood for getting rid of stuff, like the ratings, let's get rid of post counts also. :D

Please respect the request in the first post to direct all discussion to the linked thread.

I believe that the ratings system affects both modelers and downloaders. You can set your calendar by regular threads complaining about the ratings system. People rate files low just to try to retaliate against specific people. Relying on the low rating, a potential downloader may avoid a file that he would actually like. Swap files are free. There is no need to gauge (by way of ratings) how good a file might be. A user need only download and import the file, and try it. If he likes it, great. If not, no money lost. It was free anyway.

That's just one part of the problem. Another part is that the ratings system has driven away several modelers over time, resulting (obviously) in less models posted to the swaps.

Jeffpn,
Now I totally agree with you. Also add, why the system allows assign files with its comments to another user?
This causes what boof69 discussed as well he said, The system as-is is flawed and allows for maliciousness and vandalizing of files.
I hope yoy sametime belive that Moregas1 is a victim.

We, the customers providing the quality free content to the swap pages, request to have the ratings system abolished. There is no need or benefit for one customer to leave a rating or opinion of another customer's freely available file. These files are made and provided without compensation using the modeler's own free time. It is not necessary to know how good or popular a model might be to decide whether to try it. These models are available to the entire community without cost. If a model is not liked by another customer, he need only to delete it. If customers are expected to purchase models for Real Flight (like the Expansion Packs) without the benefit of seeing individual model ratings by other customers, then they can certainly try free swap page models without needing to review others' opinions of them. If Real Flight's own stock or Expansion Pack models, which must be purchased, are not subject to ratings, freely available models shouldn't be subject to ratings either.

We've been talking internally about the problems with the swap page ratings and have bounced around a few different ideas.

Unfortunately this isn't a very good time for us to make any fixes, because we're very involved writing new software for all of you to enjoy.

However, I do want to promise you officially that we are going to work on improving this as soon as we are able. Realistically you should not expect to see anything until late October at the earliest.

Thanks for your continued patience.

Jim

Hi everyone,

We've been working very hard on 6.5, but we're starting to come up for air. We thought you would like to know that we've begun looking into the swap pages issues.

Please bear in mind what Jim originally posted as far as a timeframe. We're in the very early stages of this work, and we expect it to take some time. We will keep you posted.

- Ryan

I'm in no rush. I hope that you guys do request our input. I know the software and the site are yours, but I do believe that some of us who are passionate about your product and spend a lot of free time building files and helping others with the use of the software ought to have some input in the discussion. The ratings don't affect KE. They do affect modelers. Many contributors have been driven away because of the ratings. The ratings have been a sore spot of discussion for years now.

As well as modelers, average users such as my self are affected when the modelers
stop posting new planes, because of some unappreciative individual.

Thanks for the word on what's happening at the top of the hill. Like Jeff I really hope that KE will consider it's forum members in this decision before it's final. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with. I'm surprised to hear making these modifications will be a long process. KE must be thinking bigger than we have.:)

As well as modelers, average users such as my self are affected when the modelers
stop posting new planes, because of some unappreciative individual.

You are just so clueless man! Is that what all this is about? AN unappreciative individual?

In brields defense ............
He said SOME not AN unappreciative indivdual .....................but he did leave out the "S" at the end of individual
his bad , but I got what he meant

yes, hes correct
there were Individuals that were unappreciative and rated maliciously ....thats what started this and every other rating rant thread and strike......As I recall

And yes the community at large IS suffering without new content ....Isn't that the point of the strike in the first place ???
so folks will complain about no new models , so KE will abolish the ratings ....thats what I thought ...actually brields statement is EXACTLY what us strikers need ..............
forum members and RF users complaining !!! .....IMO

Last edited:
This issue started when the ratings system started as far as I've been told. It continues to be a problem for other reasons as well.

His statement was meant to diminish this effort. "Some unappreciative individual". As if one person made us all unhappy with the rating system suddenly. He is referring to johnathan. That guy had nothing to do with it. This is a long standing problem. You know that.
By the way it's kind of odd giving Brields the benefit of the doubt about his post given his track record.

Last edited:
Back