I'm actually going to do it this time!

vict0rzamora

I'm modelling a Sig Wonder. I just built the actual kit (I'm monokoting it now, actually) and I decided that I wanted one for the simulator. I've got a couple problems though. I'm working on Autodesk Inventor, if it's worth anything.

Anyway, I made the wing, the fuse, the horizontal and vertical stabs and all of them match what I've done. I decided against the cowling because I've heard that they're prone to breaking, and I want to model MY Sig Wonder. Anyway, I can't remember (from the little work I've done in the past) if I'm supposed to mold the elevator and ailerons to the hstab/wing or if I can add them on later and cut them out when it comes time for hinging. I've already made everything without the control surfaces, so I'd much rather not have to go back and add them right now. I'm also not sure how y'all do it, but I made the parts individually and am going to "assemble" them right now.

I'd like to go step-by-step so I don't get ahead of myself. First question: do I need to add control surfaces as PART of the wing/hstab, or can I add separate ailerons and elevator right now and hinge them later, or do i add AND hinge them later? I appreciate the help!

control surfaces

You can make them any time you want. You can make a solid wing and cut the ailerons out of the wing, or make the wings and the make a separate aileron for it. They just need to be separate objects when your ready to export it You can even add them later but then you need to re export again and again

quick Example pic..

Attachments

• TESTCH01.JPG
    TESTCH01.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Alright, I've been Uber busy recently...so I haven't accomplished much. I just centered all the components and am going to get the ACTUAL dimensions of the Vertical Stab tonight (hopefully). This whole thing has been eyeballed, so let me know what y'all think. The elevator, ailerons, and vertical stabs I am using are the ones I used in real life. Also, I don't have wingtips or a cowling on my real one.

Three questions: 1. How do I proceed? I'm guessing adding hinge points, but I may be way off. Give me as much info (or a link) as you can (programs, file formats, etc). 2. Also, do y'all make the planes in one big piece or as a whole bunch of little ones and "assemble" them? 3. Also, does anyone have a 2-stroke glow engine they can send me for this project? Preferrably an Evo (36 in best case scenario because that's what I'm actually using)....but I can scale down any 2S engine if y'all don't mind.

Attachments

• wonder1.jpg
    wonder1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 28
  • wonder2.jpg
    wonder2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 16
What to do next Hummmm

Looks like you need two cut you wings in half so you can name them left and right main wing.
~CS_LMW and ~CS_RMW. Your Elevator should be in two pieces too,. Even if the real RC only has one , in RF you'll just have them both moving together. Look like you need a Tours so RF sill know where to spawn the prop. This is the Ring you see on some picture in some threads. And it's name is ~CS_ENGINE.

As for as your other question. I'm not sure what you need to do next until I know what Program your using to model and have access to. I'll point you some links when you let me know what your using.

In that picture above, that test model was modeled, pushed, pulled and shaped out of one cube, then the parts where cut off as needed. But sense all main parts are to separated in the end, you can make them one at a time. What you are shooting for is a ####.3DS ( file format ) with all the parts separated and named right, UV Mapped, Hierarchy set, and Pivots points in place.

As for the engine I used in my last projects, they where form Rcplanefubar and PPlace, if you ask them they might let you have one.

Attachments

• HERC05.JPG
    HERC05.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 44
I'll send pplace and rcplanefubar a pm asking for one. I'll also go ahead and split the wing...though I'm very against it because I don't know how to do it ;) . I'll try anyway. I'll also add a torus once I get the engine.

I'm using Autodesk Inventor right now....but I'm not against downloading other (free) software. Notice the free, because I'm very broke (college kid).

Wondering, and not meaning to thread jack, if anyone is willing to share a "training plane" set of files for 3ds max (9), that newbies like myself can play around with to try and learn that software. I'm thinking of how I can shortcut the learning curve a bit. I have all kinds of examples/samples, but nothing related to creating plane models. Not even sure what files would be created, but I'm sure there are 'multiple'...lol

Anyway, anyone interested in being a Modeling Mentor???

PS I love these forums!

The KEMax plugin comes with several sample models: Nexstar, P-51, Helicopter, etc....

Plug in

The Plug in, is used to convert the #####.3DS file you are working on to a #####.KEX file, for importing in to RF 3 or 4. Go to this and read it. then select download and pick the plug-in oyu need ( 9 ) is the thrid one down from the top.

Humm inventor ??

Sense no one making models has said they made one using AD Inventor Version you really might be on your own to figure out if it can be done.

Being an Autodesk product I'm sure it can set the pivot points, and place in a Hierarchy structure. It probably can be use to make a UV Map. There is no Plug-in for it, Unless on for the Autodesk 3dMax plug-in will work, so you'll have to run the Command line 3ds2kex ( .3DS file to .Kex file ) converter to get a file in the format to import in to RF

if you looking for Free go with Wings 3D or Blender

I believe there is a Tutorial on this forum that walks you through making a plane for both of those shareware software packs.

I have no idea how to get my .iam file in Autodesk Inventor to be useable in any of my other programs (Wings 3D, Blender). Do you have any idea how to do it?

exproting out of Inventor

Quick google on Autodesk Inventor Export found this.

Http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?p=188990

Not sure what it cost. Or if it will export the Hierarchy and pivots location in its exported ###.3DS but there is a option.

Is your #.iam file of that model above in this post. I'd like to take a look at it plz . PM me and I shoot you an E-mail addy you can usee to send me the model. I'll see if Deep exp will open it right. If it can open it, then your half way there to flying it :)

Last edited:
Wonder combat model

Check your E-mail

I got a more stable EA of that if you want it. and if we get this one finished you can try to Kill Mine in the Sky at Dawn..

Attachments

• WONDER.JPG
    WONDER.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 28
  • COMBAT3.JPG
    COMBAT3.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Engine for your plane

ok started work on the OS's LA-15 and LA-25 for the combat plane

Quick pic

Attachments

• Vic-11.jpg
    Vic-11.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 27
That looks great, Junkboy! I can't wait to see it completed.....and on that wonder (hint hint). You're really coming along with that engine!

By the way, the majority of my poly's are from me creating fillets around all of the control surfaces and what not. But boy that weird groove on the back of the elevator made no sense to me!

Engine update

Ok Vic

Just about finished with the engine. I 'll us it in the WRCC Combat model and in your wonder. I'll knock your model down in poly count a bit, just trying to get this engine and your model under 8 k. I got tow other project in work now so I try not to drag it out to long.

Engine update

Attachments

• LA-25-2.JPG
    LA-25-2.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 39
allmost

Ok engine is finished.

I got it on both the models. I'm working one the linkages. Boy they takes a long time to setup, but they look great moving.

Attachments

• LA-25-4.JPG
    LA-25-4.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Back