Install Issues RF 9.5 on MSI laptop

Maturecruiser

After a few installation issues and a couple of attempts, I believe that it is now on my hard drive. I am running 9.50.015 and have not done the updates. However the programme fails to load past the picture of an aeroplane on a runway with all the options along the top of the screen greyed and inoperative.
Via this forum I may have established that DirectX is possibly the issue. I ran Dxdiag and it indicates I have version 12. But no setup parameters. Its getting close (actually past) my PC knowledge limit.
The other issue could be (again from this forum) display adaptors. I have disabled the intel and tried the NVIDIA but again no luck. I may not be savvy enough to sort this so any assistance would be appreciated.

What CPU do you have? is it a 12th or 13th generation Intel?
Just a quick test to determine if your PC is running on the Intel IGPU, with RF9,5 loaded, try pressing the "Esc" key or double clicking the Esc key, does that activate the menu bar?
Next tap the space bar to get the model flying.
If that works, then you are running on the Intel IGPU and not the Nvidia GPU.

Follow the instructions on this Thread to assign the Nvidia adapter to RF9

Thanks for the info. The CPU is 12th Gen Intel i7 12700. The Esc key and space bar are both unresponsive.
Do I proceed to the mentioned thread or are there other items to test? Thanks

Open the "Device Manager", right click on the Windows Start icon, select Device manager from the list, click the small arrow next to "Display Adapters", you should see two adapters listed, (the Intel and the Nvidia), double click on the Nvidia name, or right click and select "Propeties" that will bring up the Nvidia Properties screen, does the "Device Status" say "This device is working properly"?
Click the Okay button to close the Properties screen, click the X in the top right corner to exit the Device Manager.

Yes I have done as suggested. I opened up the manual and noted that the install should be with the controller attached. Deleted and reinstalled with controller in. No difference. I then read the programme should be installed with anti virus off. I havent tried that yet. So still nothing working.

I hope reinstalling RF9 with the controller connected and anti-virus off works okay, you mentioned 9.50.015 as the version installed, I assume that is the DVD and not the Steam version?

Hi asj NO Im afraid Im crying!!!!. Yesterday as a final effort to install I did the windows compatability. No avail, I guess it was a previous windows mode and it started in very large font and looks like 4:3 not widescreen. So deleted all.
Reinstalled with controller in and antivirus off. Yes I have the 2 disc pack. Kept all crossed.
Bugger, this install has kept some remnants of yesterday's different Win version. Once I have the "plane" visible it has stayed in the box (4:3) and now top items file,help etc will highlight with mouse but nothing.
To make me more annoyed I found a 15 years old laptop and it installed and runs seemingly quite OK. Graphics a bit ordinary but it works!!!!!
Suggestions please as to where to go. I dont want to return the item, as I need to improve my heli skills but I want it to work with my current laptop and screen.

Let's try the DXVK fix, I have attached a d3d9.zip file, download and open the d3d9.zip file, copy and paste the "d3d9.dll" file (that is in the zip folder) into the C:/ProgramFiles (x86)/Realflight9 folder, make sure RF9 is not running during the copy/paste procedure.
Restart RF9 and check for improvements.
I have another suggestion if RF9 does not work for you, but it should work with the Nvidia adapter on your laptop, what is the MSI model name or model number of the laptop? what Nvidia adapter do you have, RTXxxxx?

Click on the "d3d9.zip name" and the download should start automatically. when the download completes, double click on the d3d9 folder to open it.

Attachments

• d3d9.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Thanks asj. What I want to do first is try to delete the programme completely. It is now obvious to me that deleting is taking about 2 seconds BUT it is not clearing everyhting. Hence when the latest reinstall still had the old version corrupting the programme. I might contact MSI and see if they will help. The laptop is still under warranty. Its worth a try and they have helped me before.

The DXVK fix works perfect on RF7, RF8 and RF Evo (before the RFE DX11 beta) on my PC, I have had limited success with it in RF9, but others have reported good results with it, it is worth a try and will only take a few seconds. The zip file came from this forum thread that was posted by Ryan Douglas (Realflight Development Team Member) and has been used by quite a few forum members. (See post number 5 in the thread).

Download and install the DirectX Runtimes from this Microsoft web site, it may fix the issue you are having, if it is DX9 related.

@Maturecruiser Just some encouragement. If you have an Nvidia graphics card in your MSI Laptop (and it is using it to run RF) you should be able to run the RF9 DVD version. I'm running the RF9 DVD version on an Nvidia 1080 which is a pretty old graphics card now. What model number Nvidia card does your laptop have in it, I didn't see it posted so forgive me if I missed it. @asj5547 is one of the best guys to direct you to success so keep following what he says and he'll get you there.

Oh. There is also a DirectX directory on your RF9 DVD that has the necessary DX9 install files in it. You can also run the DXSETUP.exe file in the DirectX directory to install the necessary DX9 files for RealFlight.

Hi Guys. I am at the end of my tether with this. I really cant believe that it doesnt work out of the box. I have "buggered" something by running windows compatability. Have tried to repair that but whilst I thought I had restore point I dont. Did a fairly major windows reinstall and that has not helped. Im going to contact RealFlight and have a bloody whinge. I can see too many 1 star ratings that seem similar to mine. I will come back to your help when i calm down. It is really appreciated.

The only thing I've done in the past is run the standard uninstall. I generally go back and look and delete any directories the uninstall didn't to make sure everything is gone. @asj5547 will probably have more advice. Oh. Make sure any of the "extra" files you copied into any of the RealFlight directories is deleted to make sure you have a clean uninstall.

I've never seen what model Nvidia card you have in your MSI Laptop? It must be working correctly and enabled for the realflight.exe file for RF to work on your computer.

RF9 should absolutely work on a laptop with Nvidia graphics adapter, don't give up just yet.
I have sent you a PM, click on the small envelope icon on the menu bar at the top of the screen.

I'm having the same issue but with a different graphics system. I have been running R9 on my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 for years. I recently purchased a new Surface Pro 9 and installed RealFlight and now I'm having the same issue with all the menus grayed out and the controller does nothing with the plane sitting on the runway. Everything is fully up to date and I'm running a 12th gen Intel I7 processor and Intel Iris XE graphics. R9 worked fine out of the box on my old Surface, so not sure what is the difference. I also upgraded to the latest version of 9.5. I did a compatibility check of my system for R9 and it said it met the requirements. Maybe RealFlight doesn't work with the latest hardware out there? Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue but with a different graphics system. I have been running R9 on my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 for years. I recently purchased a new Surface Pro 9 and installed RealFlight and now I'm having the same issue with all the menus grayed out and the controller does nothing with the plane sitting on the runway. Everything is fully up to date and I'm running a 12th gen Intel I7 processor. Of course it has integrated graphics, just like my old Surface. R9 worked fine out of the box on my old Surface, so not sure what is the difference. I also upgraded to the latest version of 9.5. Maybe RealFlight doesn't work with the latest hardware out there? Any help would be much appreciated.
Intel dropped DirectX 9 support for the graphics drivers in their latest processors and since all the older versions of RealFlight used DirectX 9, they don't work for the latest Intel processors built-in graphics. To me your best choice is upgrade to RealFlight Evoultion, the lastest version of it has moved to DirectX 11 and works fine with the new Intel proessors.

Thanks, I guess that's my only choice then.
I don't know if a Surface Pro can upgrade the graphics card but if it can a new Nvidia Graphics card should work too. But you have to make sure the Nvidia Graphics card is enabled for the RealFlight.exe. I use a desktop so I'm not up on doing that. But there's others here I'm sure can.

Back