Kaos

oneeyejack said:
You once said that my modeling is very crisp and clean. Now you "beat me"! ;)

Great work!

Thanks just having fun with renders. By the way I just noticed the UMX extra 300 was done. Renders look great. I haven't flown it yet, but it looks like the real thing.

Boof69 said:
... I'm having fun with the CS...
... I'm going to play with spec and normals to see if I can make it look a bit more realistic.
BTW ... I like the color of the spinner. It almost seems chromate. What kind of material you used?

Attachments

• ScreenShot1313383132.jpg
    ScreenShot1313383132.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 35
Boof69 said:
Thanks just having fun with renders. By the way I just noticed the UMX extra 300 was done. Renders look great. I haven't flown it yet, but it looks like the real thing.
I'm not an owner of UMX Extra 300 3D. I hope it flies real enough in comparison with the real model. Sorry!

I like it too. I was going for a platinum look.
Material is baked in in max.
Shader:Blinn
R:150
G:150
B:150
Ambient and Diffuse are locked
Specular Level: 330
Glossiness:50
Soften:.1

After flying it for a few my first impressions are that it flys very close to the real thing. Very light fluffy feel. It floats like the real thing. I like that you put a C-mesh on the foam wheel pants. Those things tore off in the first few flights on my real bird. I like it.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1313416858.jpg
    ScreenShot1313416858.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 20
Just tossing an observation in here:

The original shiny Monokote looked real good. The new transluscent covering you are experimenting with looks nothing like Monokote to me, and looks more like a silk finish which would not be real shiny but more like a semi-gloss.

So in essence, I think you have two different covering materials showing, one is Monokote and the other is silk fabric.

I preferred the shiny Monokote, FWIW.

:)

Ok so... After a bunch of fiddling I realized that the burgundy monokote needed to be darkened to adjust for bringing the opacity down and adding spec. Also the balsa texture needed to be richened up to show better so not as much transparency was needed. Plus the spec was never set so the sine was never right until I got the other stuff figured out. I added some seams to the balsa for a bit more realism. I'm happy with it. @Norton what do you think?

Attachments

• ScreenShot1313528190.jpg
    ScreenShot1313528190.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 35
  • ScreenShot1313528212.jpg
    ScreenShot1313528212.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 34
  • ScreenShot1313528310.jpg
    ScreenShot1313528310.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 33
Traduzir para Português:
You can't download it anywhere yet. I'm still working on it.

Last edited:
The wood grain showing through the Monokote looks real, good, even though there was no translucent coverings in those days, other than Silk.

I guess I was just thinking that planes get recovered, and maybe you like a trim scheme but want to do it with modern materials. Such as translucent monokote.

I wish there would have been electrict, EPP foamies, and Gigaherts, back in the 50s when I was flying home built controll line models on a dirt lot next to my house, while hopping around with one leg in a cast, from breaking it. Those were the days!

You got me beat! I started when I was an early teen with RC cars in the 80's. "The Doberman" was my first. I got super hooked and have done almost every area of RC since barring RC boats. I got my RC wings in 1999 but had flew planes before that. Throughout I at least had MHz FM.

Hey thanks for posting the renderings I like to use RC models for my desktop wallpaper. Is that the LA 25 engine off the parts page? I love seeing it used on great projects.

Ye ya I started with a Tamiya Frog, the Tamiya Monster Beetle ( best RC ever ) and an Avante RC 4WD racing buggy

Yeah that engine is from the repository. I will be giving credit as always on the swaps.
Did you ever own an RC-10?

Ya when the RC-10 came out it changes the Racing game so much and so fast it force all the older guys to get one or get lost. I moved a year later and never found a place that had paves tracks for racing. I pretty much got out of RC until I retired out of the Air Force 6 years ago.

Back