Limbo Dancer Fun Fly

GeoffS

I've been searching for a Limbo Dancer fun fly simulation but haven't been able to find it (there's a lot of aeroplanes but no search function :) ) I found a thread started by Technoid in 2016 but no link to the simulation itself.

I have (or, more accurately 'had' - now I have just the wing) a model I built from plans a few years back and thought it would be an enjoyable model to play with on RF. I'm going to have to build another. Does anyone have an idea where I might find the model? I searched through the RF7 Aircraft unsuccessfully.

pic1.JPG

This is the first one I built - taken about 20 years ago - I look younger now :)

I've been searching for a Limbo Dancer fun fly simulation but haven't been able to find it (there's a lot of aeroplanes but no search function :) ) I found a thread started by Technoid in 2016 but no link to the simulation itself.

I have (or, more accurately 'had' - now I have just the wing) a model I built from plans a few years back and thought it would be an enjoyable model to play with on RF. I'm going to have to build another. Does anyone have an idea where I might find the model? I searched through the RF7 Aircraft unsuccessfully.

This is the first one I built - taken about 20 years ago - I look younger now :)

Here's two links one to a glow powered Limbo Dancer and one to an electric powered Modeltech Magic. You'll find most of the time I model planes larger than they are in real life so you can see them well in RealFlight so give them a try and see if they work for you.

If I remember right the Limbo Dancer is an 84 inch wingspan but the Modeltech Magic is 52 inch wingspan.

Limbo Dancer - Glow
https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/limbo-dancer_ea.22447/

Modeltech Magic - Electric
https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/modeltech-magic-ep_ea.22484/

Thanks Technoid. That's a great help.

The 'real' Limbo Dancer' is 50" ws so I assume it's your sim that's 82". The one in the picture was powered with an MDS 38, probably one of the few MDS engines that were reasonable. I replaced it eventually with a Super Tigre 34 which was better and the second I scratch built from the kit plan (after an oopsie!) ended up on 4S LiPo.

They're flown competitively in the UK and there's a national championship. There are varied exercises like number of limbos in a fixed time, number of T&G, climb and glide to a spot landing etc. I just flew mine for fun. With restricted control throws you could use one as a trainer.

I think all that's left of the original is the undercarriage which usually survives :) but the wing mostly survived the last crash. They're a quick build - a week if, like me, you're retired and you get your finger out.

Geoff

PS Just downloaded both Modeltech Magics and the Limbo and had some exciting flights for a few minutes. They're fairly docile on low rates but realistically hairy on full. On the actual model it was (is?) common to couple ailerons (as flaps) with elevator as a switchable mix for insanely tight loops and bunts but these are quite tight on full rates without. I rarely bothered to switch it in anyway.

Good job on both!

Last edited:
Thanks Technoid. That's a great help.

The 'real' Limbo Dancer' is 50" ws so I assume it's your sim that's 82". The one in the picture was powered with an MDS 38, probably one of the few MDS engines that were reasonable. I replaced it eventually with a Super Tigre 34 which was better and the second I scratch built from the kit plan (after an oopsie!) ended up on 4S LiPo.

They're flown competitively in the UK and there's a national championship. There are varied exercises like number of limbos in a fixed time, number of T&G, climb and glide to a spot landing etc. I just flew mine for fun. With restricted control throws you could use one as a trainer.

I think all that's left of the original is the undercarriage which usually survives :) but the wing mostly survived the last crash. They're a quick build - a week if, like me, you're retired and you get your finger out.

Geoff

PS Just downloaded both Modeltech Magics and the Limbo and had some exciting flights for a few minutes. They're fairly docile on low rates but realistically hairy on full. On the actual model it was (is?) common to couple ailerons (as flaps) with elevator as a switchable mix for insanely tight loops and bunts but these are quite tight on full rates without. I rarely bothered to switch it in anyway.

Good job on both!
Thanks !

Back