Lockheed Starliner Build thread

Nice work legoman the plane looks great. But an honest comment, an electric motor for a connie.

yeah I looked through a lot of different gas burners; radials 3, 5, 7, and 9 cylinders, 2 strokes singles inlines and flat twins. I even trien some V-twins. and nothing would fit and turn a scale propeller without a reduction and reductions pushed the engine back in the cowl really far or did not exist which means some custom parts with questionable reliablity. Plus I did not like the look of the gear box in the cowl.

so I put the electric motors in so you could but a nice set of speakers to play engine sounds

yeah I looked through a lot of different gas burners; radials 3, 5, 7, and 9 cylinders, 2 strokes singles inlines and flat twins. I even trien some V-twins. and nothing would fit and turn a scale propeller without a reduction and reductions pushed the engine back in the cowl really far or did not exist which means some custom parts with questionable reliablity. Plus I did not like the look of the gear box in the cowl.

so I put the electric motors in so you could but a nice set of speakers to play engine sounds
I'm confused you mean a Moki 5 cylinder radial won't turn a scale sized prop? You see custom built planes in Germany all the time with Moki radials from twins to four engine bombers so why can't it be done for a connie? I would imagine this would be a scratch built plane so you can make it any size you want. I guess you're saying you'll use a radial sound from a built-in sound system and pretend it's a radial, which of course can be done but why when this plane begs for the real thing and could have been designed any way you want. You did a beautiful job on it and I'm not trying to take anything away from that but the plane begs for a real engine, not a motor. I'm sorry I've just seen too many planes ruined but an electric motor when nothing sounds right but an engine. And a gas engine is cheap to run so it's not like trying to put a glow engine in it. But of course it's your plane and as I said you did a great job on it and the cabin detail is very nice.

I'm confused you mean a Moki 5 cylinder radial won't turn a scale sized prop? You see custom built planes in Germany all the time with Moki radials from twins to four engine bombers so why can't it be done for a connie? I would imagine this would be a scratch built plane so you can make it any size you want. I guess you're saying you'll use a radial sound from a built-in sound system and pretend it's a radial, which of course can be done but why when this plane begs for the real thing and could have been designed any way you want. You did a beautiful job on it and I'm not trying to take anything away from that but the plane begs for a real engine, not a motor. I'm sorry I've just seen too many planes ruined but an electric motor when nothing sounds right but an engine. And a gas engine is cheap to run so it's not like trying to put a glow engine in it. But of course it's your plane and as I said you did a great job on it and the cabin detail is very nice.

the moki 180 will fit in a 1/6th scale but it would need to turn a 33 inch prop which is a bit of a stretch if not imposible. a moki 215/250/250-7 would turn a 33 inch prop but the valve train would barely fit in the cowl and may not fit in real life. the diameter of the engine compaired to diameter of the prop it can drive is not even close the Wright R-3350 4:1 prop to engine diameter ratio. The best mokis have a hard time getting past 3:1 and other manufactures struggle at 2.5:1. at one sixth scale the engine would need to be <9.3 inches diameter and at 1/8 scale the engine would need to be <7 inches in diameter. and still turn a 33 and 25 inch prop respectively.

if you are concerned about the engine sound have a look at my skyraider engine sound I am using a slightly modded version.

the moki 180 will fit in a 1/6th scale but it would need to turn a 33 inch prop which is a bit of a stretch if not imposible. a moki 215/250/250-7 would turn a 33 inch prop but the valve train would barely fit in the cowl and may not fit in real life. the diameter of the engine compaired to diameter of the prop it can drive is not even close the Wright R-3350 4:1 prop to engine diameter ratio. The best mokis have a hard time getting past 3:1 and other manufactures struggle at 2.5:1. at one sixth scale the engine would need to be <9.3 inches diameter and at 1/8 scale the engine would need to be <7 inches in diameter. and still turn a 33 and 25 inch prop respectively.

if you are concerned about the engine sound have a look at my skyraider engine sound I am using a slightly modded version.
Thanks for discussing this with me I appreciate that I just don't agree with being so picky about breaking scale in areas that need it to work for an rc plane. You could have created the engine bay large enough to fit the engine and then put a prop on it that works for the engine. I'm sure the moki would fly the plane but break scale a little but no one is going to take out a ruler and measure your plane. It's just silly to use a radial sound on an electric motor. But it's your plane and I'll quit bothering you about it. My comments were not meant to be overly critical I just wanted you to understand my feelings about it. It is a beautiful plane I'll give you that much.

Legoman … what a beautiful rendition of the Conny :oops:… err … I mean connie :sneaky: … and such detail.
I can conceive that someone would construct an electric version of this plane.
The great thing about RF is, whatever version posted, I can construct a personal AV.
I plan on constructing a personal electric version with my Engine Start/Stop feature (my "thing"), adding a R-3350 sound file I have. Each engine starting independently. Should sound awesome!
Looking forward to your finished masterpiece!

Last edited:
Legoman … what a beautiful rendition of the Conny … and such detail.
I can conceive that someone would construct an electric version of this plane.
The great thing about RF is, whatever version posted, I can construct a personal AV.
I plan on constructing a personal electric version with my Engine Start/Stop feature (my "thing"), adding a R-3350 sound file I have. Each engine starting independently. Should sound awesome!
Looking forward to your finished masterpiece!
Be sure to share that I want to hear it too.

I was having a conversation with the op why don't you BUTT OUT.
My My Fox, a little touchy are we, I meant it in humorous way. The truth of the matter is, we all should be happy we`re getting a "connie" in the first place.

Last edited:
My My Fox, a little touchy are we, I meant in it humorous way. The truth of the matter is, we all should be happy we`re getting a "connie" in the first place.
Oh yeah ... I spelled that funny didn't I.:oops:
Oh yeah ... I agree with you ! ?
Editing here: What I agree on is … being happy we are getting a "Connie" … I sure am!

Last edited:
My My Fox, a little touchy are we, I meant in it humorous way. The truth of the matter is, we all should be happy we`re getting a "connie" in the first place.
Not another one of them, they get called out for sticking their nose where it didn't belong and they're always kidding. At least have the courage to own up to what you said.

Please leave me alone I'd like to be able to post here without your interference. Please !

I'm sorry legoman to dump in your thread I thought I was speaking to you, not HIM. Ugh!

A beautiful plane legoman and it sounds very good. I'm a little surprised how at full throttle it climbs after take-off at an unrealistic angle but if you control the throttle it's fine and it fly's really well. So thanks for a great job.

Back