Maj. Numbskully's Request A CS

worked all day on the CS about 3 hours ago my girlfriends dad popped a electric breaker in the kitchen then proceeded to reset every breaker .... can we say AHHrrrrHHHhrrrG !

so I spent another 3 hours redoing everything I previously did fun day anyhow ...heres one Tat, I had the other one done with the font you wanted..... but its just a memory now..also worked on drop shadows ,trim stripes etc ...this is not the final position of the wing Tatoo

Attachments

• ScreenShot1387068070.jpg
    ScreenShot1387068070.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 10
Nice work Maj looks much better than the original tat...dang ! this is going to be something else when finished.

The A-7 Corsair is a great looking model that flies great with RF 6. There are no CS's that have panel lines on them. Would this be possible to do with the way the .tga is laid out?

Attachments

• ScreenShot1387297179.jpg
    ScreenShot1387297179.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 5
  • ScreenShot1387385884.jpg
    ScreenShot1387385884.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 9
  • A-7 Panel lines.gif
    A-7 Panel lines.gif
    37.5 KB · Views: 7
  • A7_004_A3.jpg
    A7_004_A3.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I'll have to see if I can get ricky to send me a template..I'll need to know where the parts edges are or it'll be a PITA
Its an old g3x file hope he still has it stored somewhere

Attachments

• ScreenShots411.jpg
    ScreenShots411.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2
Don't know which corsair ?......... Ricky Deltons?
https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/2187
I did this one for Rickys in G4 ...it sure would benefit from with some lines rivets etc .
I'll take alook at the map if you had another A-7 in mind post a link ...or ?

Thanks Maj., This model is Ricky Deltons A-7 and I enjoy flying it with RF6.5. This A-7 would look awesome with panel lines, rivets, weathering , etc. I would experiment with rivets and weathering, but the panel lines,...

I can show you how if interested , its not hard just time consuming
there really is no difference between making a line of rivets and a panel line
just the brush used and different spacing settings that's all

I make one psd layer for the rivets and another layer for the lines

the reason I need a template is to see if it is possible in the first place and then to see where a line transitions from one part to the next part so the line is strait and correctly aligned not staggered

If I can get the template ,we'll need some better references
If I'm going to do them I prefer ...insist really
to make them accurately as to placement scale etc. I've even been known to count rivets :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'll have to see if I can get ricky to send me a template..I'll need to know where the parts edges are or it'll be a PITA
Its an old g3x file hope he still has it stored somewhere

I think I understand PITA, but as for layers I need to learn to use them.I can provide some references for you.Other than pics what type of references are most accurate?

It varies I have used photos ,drawings even some 3-views
but prefer photos as both of the other type are open to interpretation and therefore possible inaccuracies

Next time you start a CS
The first thing to do is to increase the image size to 4096x4096(this is optional but highly
recomended)

Then I close the tga....saying yes to the changes , doing this locks the new size of the tga
You could just save as a psd ...but if you do you will have to again resize the tga to 4096

Then I reopen the .tga and immediately "SAVE AS" a .psd , , I leave the name the same as the CS

Now you have a 4096 psd "master file" (that's what I call 'em) everything you will do on the psd gets transferred to the tgs(s) used by the sim ....in due time

A psd file is a file that when saved , will retain all of the layers separately
a tga or jpeg can not ...think of a psd as a book and tgas and jpegs as single sided pages

How do you make new layers ?
There are several ways, the easiest is to paste something to the psd , every time you do it will create a separate layer
you can make a duplicate (copy)of a layer
you can create a blank layer as clear as glass with out anything on it until you put something on it ..so it can be used as a canvas to drawn on ... for things like rivets and panel lines !

What kind of things can do with layers?

Layers are a way of keeping each part of the file separated from each other
and you can ONLY make changes to one layer at a time ,you just highlight the layer you want to change and do whatever you need to do on that layer
meaning you can make corrections to One part of the CS while leaving the surrounding areas untouched ...eliminating the need to fix the area a sticker was in before you decided to move it you JUST move the sticker and only the sticker want the sticker bigger or smaller .no problem just resize it, need the same sticker on the other side of the plane ..fine copy that layer and reposition the sticker using the new layer on the other side and its already the correct size to boot

A Layers visibility can be turned on and off ...now you see it ....now you don't
say you decide you don't like the sticker later on ....just turn off that layer and it will not be a part of the CS ...best part is if you again decide to use it ..just turn it back on... no need to go find it ,open it ,select or separate the part you need ,copy it , paste it again, re size it ,reposition it
but With it saved on a layer.. its back ready to go with just one mouse click

Layers can have their opacity (clearness. Transparency) changed , it can be solid color or semi opaque ( see through) btw....panel lines look more realistic when not completely opaque (solid)

layers are stacked on top of each other and the order that they are in can be changed any way you wish at any time you wish this helps keep thing in natural order ....paint on the bottom with a sticker on top and a fuel stain on top of the sticker and even a bird crap on top of the fuel stain if you wish for example ...Just put the layers in the correct order ...even if they were not put down that way in the first place

The base layer at the bottom of the pile and foundation of a psd is known as the "Background" layer every time you add a layer it is placed directly above the layer you were working when you hit paste

Remember probably sooner than later you will have to make a panel line on the side of the fuse that has to meet the top or bottom of the fuse ....and those areas may be on the other side of the tga ..
meaning that you have to move one of them slightly to get a nice clean line going around the entire fuse and not have a jag or jog ,zig or zag to the line where the meet but a nice clean line that goes all the way around the fuse (if that's whats called for)

what do you do if that panel line has a sticker or some other kind of graphic that's supposed to be in the same place and you need to move the line ...if you are not using a psd you will destroy the graphic moving the line ...with a psd you just move the line only the line ..putting a panel line on a layer also enables you to actually put the panel line UNDER the graphic ...just like in Real life
you will need to have a partially visible panel line on the classic tga and you will need to have the lines in the same exact spot on the _n.tga file ... with a psd layer its simple because you can use the SAME layer for both !

layers can later be combined into a single layer or
they can later be combined into a single layer and still leave the layers that you combined as separate layers if you wish
layers can even be moved to another .psd or another file ...like a tga
there are many other uses for layers ,, I've just scratched the surface

I encourage you to start using psds
after you start to use them
I guarantee you will begin to appreciate the time saved and how much faster you work flow can be and how you can eliminate the frustration at having to fix things over and over again... lol... its like CS Preparation H for that PITA CS you may have never finished out of frustration in getting it right

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining the layers to me, can't wait to try it out. Sounds like a great tool and time saver for sure. I have to work all day today but will try it out tonight.I am also finding a few close-up pics I will send you later also.

NP..
If I were asked what is the most useful tip I could give to anyone who's interested in making CSs
it would be use a psd
btw ....I just noticed what your avatar is ,don't know why I've never really looked at it closely before
did you make that hybrid heli-hemi?............very creative , fits perfectly

Here are some pics of A-7 I found looking on internet, some which show some detail. I have a lot more and can e-mail or private message and post more here. The avatar I have I found on the internet from a Mopar chat room. The name Helihemi is the name of a Super Stock drag racer's car. I just put the name with the avatar, because yes, it fits.

Attachments

• A7D_23dFG_ghost.jpg
    A7D_23dFG_ghost.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 455498159_8942ef5ad7_z.jpg
    455498159_8942ef5ad7_z.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 4
  • ltv-a7-corsairii_14.jpg
    ltv-a7-corsairii_14.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 4
  • ling_corsair.gif
    ling_corsair.gif
    53.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 3_48_a2.jpg
    3_48_a2.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 6
Some more

Attachments

• 3575652672_fb36da2c56_b.jpg
    3575652672_fb36da2c56_b.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Airshow-USAF-2.jpg
    Airshow-USAF-2.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 4
  • thU6NZYFQB.jpg
    thU6NZYFQB.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Kris and kmot..I haven't forgot you guys ,been taking a break and will get back to both CSs shortly ....hope you had a nice holiday

Helihemi..its not looking to good at this point neither andy nor I have got a response from the gib/oneder/delton

Id really need a template if I would like to have some hair on my head.... I may try to see if I can find the part outlines but if you look at the cs texture you'll see it was done in a rather unorthodox way so I'm not putting much stock in that idea

Last edited:
Same here Maj. , thanks for checking on it anyway. Also thanks for the info about layers and psd. Been messing around a little with that. Where do you keep your psd after you make one, do you make a folder, place it on your desktop and just paste your work to it? I am using GIMP by the way. I can't wait for a couple of days off work so I can really mess with GIMp some more, but not sure when that is gonna happen.

I think I need a vacation. I did make a psd and added it to my desktop, but I just opened GIMP and there was also a psd there as well. I also see where I can create a new layer and add it to the psd I assume by pasting it.

Back