Mamba 120cc

Doesn't look like much, but these flared areas like at the base of the Vstab tend to give me fits. I always seem to end up with some sort of shading issue or just can't get the flow right. I'm pretty happy with the outcome though. After getting that to my liking, I cut the rudder out and shaped the leading edge of the V stab for a smoother look. Also started shaping the wing tips. It looks odd at the moment, but I'll touch those up next time as I'm just getting started on that.

Attachments

• mamba.png
    mamba.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • Mamba2.png
    Mamba2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Doesn't look like much, but these flared areas like at the base of the Vstab tend to give me fits. I always seem to end up with some sort of shading issue or just can't get the flow right. I'm pretty happy with the outcome though. After getting that to my liking, I cut the rudder out and shaped the leading edge of the V stab for a smoother look. Also started shaping the wing tips. It looks odd at the moment, but I'll touch those up next time as I'm just getting started on that.
Looking great so far!

wheels are looking excellent ,( like all your builds ) i still fly your Stampe bip love that build i may put my CS on it to matcxh my Davie Systems Stampe

The past few days have been really late nights and early mornings in my world, so modeling has slowed down some. Tonight I'm pretty tired, so instead of going much further on the model and risking a mistake, I decided to just bring in a couple parts from the NG and play with the renders a bit. I did do a quick map job and added the image I followed to create this, but I really don't like the outcome. I knew it was a low resolution image, but sheesh it looks horrible on the plane. It does add a little color to it though so there is a small plus to my efforts. Anyway, here's tonights renders. Hopefully next time, I'll have better progress to show.

Attachments

• Mamba3.png
    Mamba3.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • Mamba2.png
    Mamba2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • tail gear.png
    tail gear.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
The tail gear looks great in the render. It's too bad it won't look that good in RealFlight.

Are you doing these renders in Blender? And how long did the tail gear render take?

The tail gear looks great in the render. It's too bad it won't look that good in RealFlight.

Are you doing these renders in Blender? And how long did the tail gear render take?
Yes these are in blender using the cycles engine. That particular render of the tail gear took 2-3 minutes, but I’ve also got a dinosaur laptop. I’m sure a newer pc with a good graphics card would be just seconds. Now the ones where I have it sitting on a plane for a floor take quite a bit longer. Some of those take 10-15 minutes depending on my settings and how much reflection I have. One thing that really helps is blender will actually show you a very close representation of what the tender will look like while you’re still in the modeling viewport so you can fine tune while modeling. I only use this feature when setting up lights though because it shows things way down due to it basically speed renders every time you make a mouse click.

Last edited:
As I sit here at work with no power and nothing to do, I find myself wondering just how far I should take this model for RF? Basic model, good CS, and release? Or add things such as servos, linkages, and other things like that?

That being said, I myself rarely even use RF. If I download a model, I look at the details, fly it maybe 10-15 minutes, and go about my day. I do what I do just for the build experience. In fact, the only models I’ve created that are in my aircraft list are the ones I’ve built and imported into RF8 to start physics, and that’s only one or two. Might be one reason I’ve got so many unfinished files. So my question to you is, just how important are things like servos and other parts you’ll never see while flying? Would time be better spent on moving forward and wrapping up what I’ve got after I finish the main visuals? I do still plan on going all out on this model, but all the extras (hidden parts, wires, and other stuff inside the fuselage) won’t be on the final release. I just want to do that for personal experience and render purposes. So let me know what you think.

I'd add the servos and linkage because they really stand out when you look at the plane in the editor.
See, I’m that way as well. But then again, most of my time spent in RF is in the editor so that’s why I asked. I’ve got a nice setup I can easily add that will go well with this one that I made for the NG and didn’t use (at least not yet anyway 🤣).

See, I’m that way as well. But then again, most of my time spent in RF is in the editor so that’s why I asked. I’ve got a nice setup I can easily add that will go well with this one that I made for the NG and didn’t use (at least not yet anyway 🤣).
Yes I remember the servos and linkage you made for the NG, they looked great. They made me want to improve my standard servos and linkage I use on all my planes. But they look good enough so I haven't worked on them yet. I might at some point.

As I sit here at work with no power and nothing to do, I find myself wondering just how far I should take this model for RF? Basic model, good CS, and release? Or add things such as servos, linkages, and other things like that?

That being said, I myself rarely even use RF. If I download a model, I look at the details, fly it maybe 10-15 minutes, and go about my day. I do what I do just for the build experience. In fact, the only models I’ve created that are in my aircraft list are the ones I’ve built and imported into RF8 to start physics, and that’s only one or two. Might be one reason I’ve got so many unfinished files. So my question to you is, just how important are things like servos and other parts you’ll never see while flying? Would time be better spent on moving forward and wrapping up what I’ve got after I finish the main visuals? I do still plan on going all out on this model, but all the extras (hidden parts, wires, and other stuff inside the fuselage) won’t be on the final release. I just want to do that for personal experience and render purposes. So let me know what you think.
For myself, (and I guess I speak for others ??) I love all the details, I love walking up to the planes and looking at them, despite the fact they can`t be seen while flying. I suppose the same applies too real word scale RC planes as well, people detail the hell out of them, only for their efforts to be admired while the plane sits in the pits and not in the air. Of coarse the parts that can`t be seen what so ever aren`t important, but servos, horns, linkage etc., and a nice cockpit are always welcome touches. In the end of coarse, it`s always your choice in regards as to what you want to release.

Tonights progress. I fit the DA 120 into the cowling, and added wheel pants, center struts, and started on the servos. I'm about to call the main modeling done on this one. Once I finish the servo placement, I'll start to refine what I have now. There's a lot of adjustments that needs done in certain areas such as the wing tips and the bottom scoop on the cowling.

Attachments

• mamba.png
    mamba.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • Mamba2.png
    Mamba2.png
  • Mamba3.png
    Mamba3.png
  • Mamba4.png
    Mamba4.png