Mamba 120cc

It might be my imagination or a matter of perspective, but those servo arms look awefully long in relation to the control horns. To me, it looks like a 20° servo deflection will give almost 90° aileron deflection.
I’ll definitely look into that. The horns are longer than it looks but just for the renders I did shorten it to make proper connection instead of trying to align the rod itself.

IMHO, more of the servo travel should be used. If only the center few degrees of servo travel is used, the resolution/precision suffers and any slop in the mechanics is magnified. Granted, more servo travel time is required, but I think the extra precision is more important.

IMHO, more of the servo travel should be used. If only the center few degrees of servo travel is used, the resolution/precision suffers and any slop in the mechanics is magnified. Granted, more servo travel time is required, but I think the extra precision is more important.
I agree. I’m trying to find some good images/specs on how the real deal is setup so I can replicate that. This is just an initial setup.

I have no idea of how the sim handles stuff like that. Is there any slop accounted for - maybe causing flutter? Are the mechanical/electronic limitations replicated in any way? I kinda doubt it. I lost a plane to elevator flutter due to a not rigid enough elevator pushrod.

I have no idea of how the sim handles stuff like that. Is there any slop accounted for - maybe causing flutter? Are the mechanical/electronic limitations replicated in any way? I kinda doubt it.
I’m no expert in the editor but I think it pretty much does what you tell it and it assumes you’re a sponsored completion pilot with the best of the best (aka no slop) equipment. 🤣 However, there’s a lot of settings I haven’t played with either so it may be possible. I know you can add flight failures to happen at random and I believe flutter is one of them.

Gotta love finding the instruction manual online. 😁 I’ll be able to check what I’ve got against the real deal now. And just a note, they use 2” servo arms. Mine may or may not be (should be if I’m not mistaken) that now as I’ve scaled this setup more than once for different situations so that will be checked.

Attachments

• 65B261E1-9507-48B8-946F-BF195EE72B59.png
    65B261E1-9507-48B8-946F-BF195EE72B59.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
@Bill Stuntz Good catch on the servo setup I had. Servo arms were 3.5" instead of 2, and the control horn was .5". I went back and rescaled all of those parts per the specs listed online. I also reshaped the exhaust opening on the bottom of the cowling to better match the real thing. I'll probably cut the rest of the openings in the cowling next time to try and get the front end finished up. I'll then move on to the wings and work my way to the tail of the model.

Attachments

• mamba.png
    mamba.png
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • Mamba2.png
    Mamba2.png
  • servo.JPG
    servo.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Mamba3.png
    Mamba3.png
  • Mamba4.png
    Mamba4.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
Unk, I'm curious about that, too. It's an ARF, so that's where they placed the servo & horn at the factory, but I don't know why they would have placed them that way. I found the manual online, & it says that "The angle is correct. As the servo arm rotates & the surface deflects, the linkage will straighten." And the photo from the manual in photo#3 does show it that way. But I'm with you - it just looks wrong to me, too. I'd have placed them so it's straight at 1/2 deflection, angled one way at neutral and the other way at full deflection. But I've never flown/built anything that big, (.46 max) so I could be wrong. Maybe it needs to be straight at extreme deflection when aerodynamic load is highest.
P.S. The pushrod diameter in the renders looks too thin to me.
P.P.S. I should also have said... LOOKING GREAT. I can't imagine putting that much detail into a simulator model. WOW!

Last edited:
Tonight I added the rest of the servos except the pull-pull rudder setup, completed the wing tips, touched up the tail gear, and added decking in the cockpit under the pilot. After I add the rudder setup, I'll go over the reference pics I have and decide if I want to call this one done. I was going to do an all out build after I get this one ready for RF, but I have decided to go ahead and move on to the next build. My next one I think I'll go back out of my comfort zone a little and maybe try another heli IF I can get someone to do all of the physics. I've never flown one so I wouldn't have the slightest idea on where to begin to set one up. If that plan doesn't pan out, I'll find something else that's different than my normal 3D model. I've thought about even trying to revisit the 'ol Mustang if I can get the file converted.

Attachments

• mamba.png
    mamba.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • Mamba2.png
    Mamba2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
I'd love to see you finish the Mustang, it was looking real nice. As for this plane, I`ve said it once (in Techs, Techair commander thread thread) and I`ll say it again, I think you nailed it....
Well I might have some good news for you. I looked back through my files and it seems I was preparing to lose max while working on the stang and it’s been converted already. I’ll go over it to see if it’s corrupt as bad as the NG was before I make a decision though. If it’s as bad I doubt I’ll touch it. There was just too much to deal with on that one.

Well I might have some good news for you. I looked back through my files and it seems I was preparing to lose max while working on the stang and it’s been converted already. I’ll go over it to see if it’s corrupt as bad as the NG was before I make a decision though. If it’s as bad I doubt I’ll touch it. There was just too much to deal with on that one.
Well, I for one will keep my fingers crossed. What version of RF were you building it in..???

Well, I for one will keep my fingers crossed. What version of RF were you building it in..???
That was back in RF7 but I’ll move it to 8 if I start it up again. I did a quick check this morning and off the 4 different files that I have, 3 are usable. 2 have quite a bit of flaws to be taken care of (the obj file is unusable at the moment), the other looks good but the materials didn’t transfer. It’s a file type I’ve never dealt with and things seem different some so I’ll look into it more at a later time.

Tech, I believe it was you that did the transfer for me. If so, would you still happen to have the max file?

That was back in RF7 but I’ll move it to 8 if I start it up again. I did a quick check this morning and off the 4 different files that I have, 3 are usable. 2 have quite a bit of flaws to be taken care of (the obj file is unusable at the moment), the other looks good but the materials didn’t transfer. It’s a file type I’ve never dealt with and things seem different some so I’ll look into it more at a later time.

Tech, I believe it was you that did the transfer for me. If so, would you still happen to have the max file?
I have something called "Render world P-52.max" (not a typo it says P-52.max)

That is probably the file. It’s saying 52 because I do incremental savings and I’m betting I just hit the +button instead of just saving the render scene.

I want to look at blenders export settings and see if I can get a file transfer that isn’t very problematic if you don’t mind helping. I’m getting a lot of double verts right now, and on every file the main landing gear comes in out of position and scale, and the wheels look like footballs. Try rotating the wheels and they get huge then small and distort all over the place. Things like that make me nervous about continuing with the model.

Back