New Version - Same Problems - Changing Anything but the Model Crashes RF6

irdabrit

I stopped using RF5.5 because on my PC, I couldn't switch airfield or join a multiplayer game without it crashing. Here's my PC specs:

Intel Core i7 920 @ stock clocks
ASUS P6T6 Motherboard
12Gb DDR3 Ram
64gb SSD (for boot)
Corsair 850w PSU
2Tb WD Black HD
2 x EVGA Nvidia 560 Ti Video cards in SLI
2 x Samsung 23" LED monitors (outside)
1 x ASUS 120hz 3d Monitor (middle)
Win7 Ultimate (legitimate, retail copy)

I run everything at 5790 x 1080 resolution with NVsurround and bezel correction.

I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers that were released a few weeks ago for BF3. No updates to them are available.

The issues I'm having (again) are:

- If I try to change to any other airfield apart from the stock default one, the sim crashes
- If I try to join a multiplayer game, on loading it crashes
- If I try to host a multiplayer game, it crashes.
- If I try to edit any of the models, it crashes.

All I can do right now is fly all the models on the default airfield. I have a sneaking suspicion it's something to do with NVSurround and the triple screens, but am wondering if anyone else has a similar setup?

I also am wondering what happened to the helicopters? I have ZERO real-life flight time with any heli, yet within a few minutes I was zooming around with one of the trainer helis. My sim is set to "realistic" and speed is "100%". I'm not THAT good :)

Did they dumb down the physics or something?

You are lucky to have a setup that can handle that kind of mega super deluxe resolution.
Narrow it down, does it also happen with 2 screens, single screen, windowed or non?

Don't derail yor thread with the Heli stuff, there are already a couple of them discussing that. :p

Yes you are that ungood. :D

Yes, I installed the Directx on the disk. However, I already have 9c.

I'll save some time :)

My PC is not overheating (I have five 120mm fans in the case, a 300mm on top of the case, two 50mms cooling the ram, a 50 cooling the chipset and a very good Thermaltake CPU cooler).

I have all updates needed to run this. I am running the latest Official NVidia drivers. Dated 24th October.

I have updated RF to the latest version for both 5.5 and 6 via the updater.

I can run any other game without issue. Skyrim looks amazing and plays fantastically. BF3 is simply incredible in triple screen. SWTOR Beta - WOW. You're going to love it.

The ONLY piece of software I own that I have an issue with is Realflight 5.5 and 6. The same exact problems with both. Neither can join a multiplayer session (well, that's a misnomer - I can join, but as soon as the airfield loads it crashes). I cannot change the airfield to anything but the stock default one, or I crash.

irdabrit said:
Yes, I installed the Directx on the disk. However, I already have 9c.

I'll save some time :)
What do you mean, "I'll save some time?"

The DirectX installation on the RF disc contains a couple extra files that are no longer included in Microsoft's directX, but are required to run RF (and a few other programs) properly. Ryan Dougals had an explanation for that somewhere around here, but I forget where that is.

As far as your MP problems, I'm guessing you must have additional software protecting your computer that is detecting your multiplayer attempts as a threat. Very few people have problems with MP, now that KE eliminated the need to forward ports for MP to work. Post a diag dump as described here https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=21793 in this thread.

To add to that MP issue: I loaded R6 on to my laptop yesterday and can join online without a issue. And through wifi down the road ;)

I disagree. If I can join a multiplayer game but it crashes when it's LOADING the airfield, then there's an issue with RealFlight. I can join a multiplayer game with any other game i have installed.

I can JOIN a game. That is fine. It connects, it starts to load but when it's loading the airfield, then it crashes.

When I say "save some time," I meant I'll cover the obvious questions no doubt a support person would ask. This isn't my first rodeo I can promise you :) I maybe new to RC flight and simulators, but I am definitely not new to PCs. I was building them for customers back in the days of DR DOS and Extended/Expanded RAM.

I think there's a compatibility problem between RF and NVSurround and triple screens which might not have ever been seen because my setup is extremely rare. RF might also not play nice with an SLI setup like mine (dual video cards running together). I'd appreciate it if maybe KE could look into it. Until then it's not a big deal at all anymore. I'll simply just fly in the one field and not worry about it too much.

For the record, it does the same thing even if I switch to a single screen and disable SLI. This could be because it's already been installed as an SLI setup. I don't know. Only KE will know if their code plays nice with DirectX's SLI API.

Many thanks for the replies.

I have 2 Nvidia 8800 GTS 512 cards running in SLI mode. Any mode of SLI works, but I use Alternate Frame Rendering 2 for best results.

I do not get a crash when a MP session is LOADING an airfield. Your cause lies elsewhere. Call tech support Monday morning.

Do you have a single screen?

Which version of the Nvidia drivers are you running?

Which OS are you running?

Two 8800GTS cards are a very different setup to mine considering their age. I could very well be my newer cards aren't supported somewhere in RF. I'll keep fiddling.

I'm sure SLI is SLI. If SLI were the cause of your problem, I'm betting I'd see it too. I only have one monitor. I'm using drivers that are dated last month. I'm not home now. I can't tell which exact driver I have.

Or if my old cards run RF, but your new cards don't, I'm sure you could get a helluva deal on cards like mine!

jeffpn said:
I'm sure SLI is SLI. If SLI were the cause of your problem, I'm betting I'd see it too. I only have one monitor. I'm using drivers that are dated last month. I'm not home now. I can't tell which exact driver I have.

Or if my old cards run RF, but your new cards don't, I'm sure you could get a helluva deal on cards like mine!

SLI is not the same across the board. Different cards have different architectures. What works on 2 x 480s might not work on 2 x 580s (in fact, the first run 580s had a lot of driver issues what were eventually worked out). It could also be a driver problem tied to the 560 TI. Not sure.

No thanks :) I like running triple screens at 5790 x 1080. I'm sure it's just a compatibility issue somewhere. In the meantime I'll just run with the one field and at least I can load all the models. No way I can give up triple screen BF3 or iRacing :)

Hopefully someone at KE will comment soon and I'll call GP software support on Monday morning.

If you want any more help here, you'll need to go to the link located in post #5, so people here can see your relevant information.

Wow, that's not easy to read on an iPhone! One thing you may want to do is to update your RF to .026. There are instructions to do that in the News and Announcements subforum.

Error: D3DXERR_INVALIDDATE
File: .\DXTexture.cpp
Line: 510

Error: D3DXERR_INVALIDDATE
File: .\DXTexture.cpp
Line: 673

Did you install Directx9.0c from the disc?
Yes, I installed the Directx on the disk. Hoewever, I already have 9c.

It is not clear from your answer above.

*sigh*

Yes. I have installed it from the Disk. I am running 9c with DirectX11.

I am using the latest drivers for my chipset, sound card, network card (onboard my mb) - the lot (I'm really anal about that).

I am using the official NVidia release drivers. No beta or non-WHQL

I am running the 64 bit version of Win7

I have the sim running in admin mode. No compatibility mode is checked.

I am using the admin account.

RF6 exe is excepted and let through my firewall.

Ports are mapped via uPnP on my router.

My inside leg measurement is 34

I love long walks on the beach, candlelit dinners for two and the smell of nitro in the morning.

Last edited:
Your leg is definitely on the Plump Side. :D

Also an unconventional Realflight setup.
Definitely something you should speak with Tech Support about.

Your Realflight install is spread out on C: and I: drives,
I remember a long time ago there were issues with installs on anything other than C:, but I believe that was addressed.

Good Luck. ;)

Back