New Version - Same Problems - Changing Anything but the Model Crashes RF6

jeffpn said:
How do you feel about the number 12173988970?

Tech Support phone number according to google?

As for the install, that's interesting - it's NOT installed on C. It's installed on I: (C is my SSD for boot only).

I never noticed that.

Looks like it that is it. It's looking to C: for the files, not the install directory on I:

Hmmm. Edit. It's looking to ./ - i.e. the working DIR

I'm going to reinstall everything in the morning to a different drive and check that out.

Last edited:
jeffpn said:
What do you mean, "I'll save some time?"

The DirectX installation on the RF disc contains a couple extra files that are no longer included in Microsoft's directX, but are required to run RF (and a few other programs) properly. Ryan Dougals had an explanation for that somewhere around here, but I forget where that is.

Great tip and many thanks. I never actually heard that you had to do this before if you already had a current directx vesion installed. Anyway, I grabbed my RF CD and reinstalled the Dx from the CD. Now most of my problems like system crashing, white screens, and losing the shine of my planes and helis are now minimal. Thanks again.

cheers,
Tom

Yes. I think KE/GP needs to make it more clear that you need to install the DX 9.0c from the RF install disc, period. Most people think, "I already have 9.0c. It comes with Windows," or, "My version of windows comes with DX10 or DX11. I don't need to install the DX on the RF disc." There are a couple optional DX9.0c files that some software like RF uses, and if you don't install the DX from the RF disc, you won't get them.

There are still a few issues while in full screen even with those EXTRA FILES. But I would be pretty much dead in the water without them on my setup. Always remember to switch to windowed mode before you import or export a file or you'll be very sorry. ;)

Got it working.

Seems as if RF doesn't play nice the with NVidia drivers when NVSurround is activated. Single monitor, SLI and 3D glasses enabled works fine. Three monitors - not so much.

Sucks having to switch back and forth but maybe it can be supported in a later version. 3D works extremely well as long as you use the 3D rendered airports.

I'm certainly no computer guru and seldom give advice but just for kicks. You've got quite the rig and you are running it at extreme resolutions. There in a drop down in the settings/hardware graphics section that allows you to select the resolution that RF runs in full screen. Is your extreme resolution listed as an option there?

On this machine the max is my native resolution. It differs according to what it detects. If I am only running on the big screen which is 1080p I get a lot more options.

It's nothing to do with resolutions as per se; the multi-monitor support from NVidia is called NVSurround and RF simply doesn't like that.

If I run a single monitor at 1920 x 1080 @ 120hz with or without 3D (or at 60hz even) it's fine. As soon as I switch to triple screens with NVSurround, it will crash.

Still, RF with 3D is a ton of fun. Really helps with helis

Oh well, just thought I'd throw it out to ya. These things can drive you nuts and sometimes one overlooked setting is the silver bullet. I would love to try the new heli grapple hook feature in 3D. I bet it would a whole lot easier than in 2D.

NP. It's obviously a problem with RF and NVSurround. Hopefully it will be fixed in a later patch because flying with such a panoramic view is awesome. However 3D with the glasses is pretty cool too. Just sucks having to switch back and forth.

irdabrit said:
Got it working.

Seems as if RF doesn't play nice the with NVidia drivers when NVSurround is activated. Single monitor, SLI and 3D glasses enabled works fine. Three monitors - not so much.

Sucks having to switch back and forth but maybe it can be supported in a later version. 3D works extremely well as long as you use the 3D rendered airports.

As I said, something on YOUR system....

BTW: The NVSurround is listed as problematic with many programs, particularly DX9 ones.

This is not something KE needs to fix, rather the Nvidia implementation leaves a lot to be desired...

irdabrit, I'm not sure how much we can do about the NVSurround compatibility issue you describe, but I will make sure the issue is filed in our bug tracking system.

RealFlight has never had any issues installing where you tell it to. If you had drives A: through Z: present on your system and wanted to install on X:, you could do so successfully. The only problem in some previous versions, and this was fixed some time ago, involved systems where a C: drive did not even exist. Those are two different things, though.

I don't see anything in the info you posted to suggest RealFlight 6 is not installed precisely where you intended on I:. I think you're getting confused by references to files on C: that are expected and normal. Let me explain.

• RealFlight's program files are installed wherever you choose (in this case, I:\RealFlight6). These files are not modified except by performing an online update, which requires administrator privileges.
  • Whenever RealFlight runs, it stores user data and any other information that must be written to disk in the Windows user account's "My Documents" folder. The location of that folder is determined by your Windows installation, not RealFlight. It is typically on the same drive where Windows is installed.
  • A handful of files are stored in your common program files directory. That folder's location is determined by Windows.
  • We make occasional use of your Windows temp dir, as well. In your case that is also on C:, and that is likewise determined by your Windows installation, not RF.
The distribution and separation of different kinds of files as described above is standard for current software. Based on what I see, I feel confident assuming you have Windows installed on C:, which would explain why some RF files exist there.

That's a shame about NVSurround. Your sim is the only one to date that I've tried that has this issue. I run the following regularly without problem:

iRacing
IL2 Cliff of Dover
Flight Sim X
F1 2011
Dirt 3
Battlefield 3
WoW

and many more without issue. I was hoping that there was a simple fix. To be clear; RF6 RUNS in NVSurround at my resolution. I can load any aircraft I want and fly it, but there are some issues:

- Even with "Keep ground in view" checked, when I fly "off" the top of the screen, the view stays on the ground and I cannot see the plane. I have to have autozoom on and "keep ground in view" unchecked in order to fly. Not exactly ideal.

- None of the training sections work. Trying to load any of them will crash the sim.

- I can join a multiplayer session without issue. When it tried to load a new airfield, the sim crashes.

- Attempting to load any airfield apart from the default one crashes the sim.

All these issues go away if I run a single monitor with SLI and even 3D - that works fine (as long as you use a 3D airfield with the 3D glasses, otherwise the aircraft looks like it's floating ABOVE the flat plane photographic picture). It's just dissapointing not to be able to use it with something that should be transparent to the application. The resolution I run at is supported within RF6's video settings and works fine with the default airfield in both windowed AND full-screen mode, so it does work. It's just when you want to load in a new airfield that it breaks.

From the errors it looks like a script is failing on the same two lines every time?

opjose said:
As I said, something on YOUR system....

BTW: The NVSurround is listed as problematic with many programs, particularly DX9 ones.

This is not something KE needs to fix, rather the Nvidia implementation leaves a lot to be desired...

You're not very friendly are you? I'm simply stating the issues I'm having and trying to help KE arrive at a solution. I'd appreciate it if you stayed out of this thread if you have nothing constructive to add. Thanks.

irdabrit said:
You're not very friendly are you? I'm simply stating the issues I'm having and trying to help KE arrive at a solution. I'd appreciate it if you stayed out of this thread if you have nothing constructive to add. Thanks.

Re: Staying out

No thanks.

My response was accurate, even if you didn't like it, it is never-the-less correct.

The issue is not something that KE needs to fix.

opjose said:
Re: Staying out

No thanks.

My response was accurate, even if you didn't like it, it is never-the-less correct.

The issue is not something that KE needs to fix.

Like I said, very unfriendly.

This has nothing to do with you, so please stay out. I'm sorry you are jealous of my PC's specs, but maybe you can ask Santa for an upgrade? Ask for a new personality while you're at it, eh?

Opjose, if you get an upgrade, can I have your old one? I'd love to have your computer!!

Well, with that and posts that obvious are designed to chase off people with genuine problems, I'll bid you all good day.

To KE - you have posters here who are giving you and your software a bad name - the few threads I've read with people asking for help are plagued by attacks from the same few posters. I think you need to do something about it.

If you can fix your DX layer to address NVSurround correctly, that would be great. If not it's not a big deal - maybe you can sneak it in for the next version. Until then I'll just use it on a single screen and in 3D, simply because it's fun. Can't beat having everything on full detail and still pushing 300+fps.

Hopefully the posters such as these two will eventually be removed and this can become a place where users seek help.

Happy TG to everyone.

Back