NO SESSIONS FOUND (KnifeEdge is down)

N8LBV

Yes, exactly.
This is why WE NEED the simple effing ability to connect direct via IP.
The game server is down and now we are going to go all weekend not being able to play multiplayer..
I have 4 buddies that I fly with and none of us can play until somebody gets
around to restarting the server that has failed.

KnifeEdge: YOU NEED TO ADD THE ABILITY TO CONNECT PEER-PEER VIA PUBLIC IP ADDRESS OR HOSTNAME.

Forcing us to go through your server to play multiplayer is BAD.
It's all kinds of bad words.

Steve Gladden

Last edited:
I use to have Scott's home phone for weekend support. He or his wife would walk across the street and reset it on weekends. Those were the days..

Yes, exactly.
This is why WE NEED the simple effing ability to connect direct via IP.
The game server is down and now we are going to go all weekend not being able to play multiplayer..
I have 4 buddies that I fly with and none of us can play until somebody gets
around to restarting the server that has failed.

KnifeEdge: YOU NEED TO ADD THE ABILITY TO CONNECT PEER-PEER VIA PUBLIC IP ADDRESS OR HOSTNAME.

Forcing us to go through your server to play multiplayer is BAD.
It's all kinds of bad words.

Steve Gladden

If you have been using Real Flight for any long period of time then you should know that this more than likely won't happen. How would anybody looking for a session know how to find your privately hosted session if they are not on a central list server? If you haven't been using RF for that long or only since 6.0,6.5 then you should know that these problems do happen every once and a while and are always resolved on the next business day. That's just the way it is.

How would anybody looking for a session know how to find your privately hosted session if they are not on a central list server? If you haven't been using RF for that long or only since 6.0,6.5 then you should know that these problems do happen every once and a while and are always resolved on the next business day. That's just the way it is.

2. That's the way it is now, it does not have to remain that way.

1. You'd host it on an IP address and maintain a DNS record for it such as yourname.yourdomain.com and tell people about it.
If you are reliable and always there and maintain it people come there to play.

The people who are experienced in doing this help out some of the other people who are interested but lack the know-how.

You end up with a decent handful of quality servers/systems that are reliable and well maintained as well as whatever KnigeEdge wants to offer (as they say no obligation or guarantee) that they will provide..
Their stance on the list server is that it's a best effort deal today and may not always be there or be there in the future.
--and you have some good alternatives..

You get rid of the single point of failure we have right now which takes the entire world of RealFlight down with it for whole weekends at a time when it happens to go.

Sorry you don't agree.
I'm looking for folks who do agree.
So if you do please PM me and thanks.
We could make a focused an concentrated effort to ask for this (SIMPLE!)functionality if there are a few people out here interested and willing to help me make the effort.
I'll do all I can on my own but I sure could use some help and more voices if you are in favor of this. :)

Thanks
Steve

The ability to do a PEER-PEER via public IP has always been available. If you and your buddies want to connect on a regular basis, use a VPN between yourselves. Not all VPNs support broadcasts, but there are some that do and they work like a champ for RF.

Sorry you don't agree.
I'm looking for folks who do agree.
So if you do please PM me and thanks.

Thanks
Steve

While there may be alternatives to having list servers, this is NOT a big deal.

- Give me DENSE (Aerofly 3D type) 3D airfields that I can edit ala Realflight.
- Give me an integrated or separate 3D Plane editor.
- Upgrade to DX10 or above.
- Give me better tools for handling pano's.
- Fix the few issues with the physics ( see heli driver complaints, pod lever moments, etc..)
- More plane Poly's

All of these are BIG deals important for RC simulation.

Changing the multiplayer list server is low on my list.

How about actually getting out of the house and flying a real R/C plane? That is why we all bought this sim right?

Boo hoo, I could care less if the server drops over the weekend, that means it's time to fly. (Really fly).

How about actually getting out of the house and flying a real R/C plane? That is why we all bought this sim right?

Boo hoo, I could care less if the server drops over the weekend, that means it's time to fly. (Really fly).

Couldn't agree more!!

Lol I guess you live where it's not raining then? It's raining here and I don't like to fly my stuff when it's wet outside. I get what your saying but a lot of us use the sim for those rainy days or night flying with friends. I also don't fly outside when its winter. Tried it once and my fingers went numb.:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I'm not a gamer, but there is that side of the thing now. Don't know what percentage of their market is pure gamers, but that aspect of the sim with the combat and whatnot seems clearly more dependent on multiplayer.

Regards
Michael

When I played Quake and other games we were able to go onto a chat program and give ayone who wanted to join the info to join a game and everyone was happy. RF could do the same if they wanted, Make it so we can join each others game and we could use a chat program to be able to let others know where to join.... Problem Solved.

The ability to do a PEER-PEER via public IP has always been available. If you and your buddies want to connect on a regular basis, use a VPN between yourselves. Not all VPNs support broadcasts, but there are some that do and they work like a champ for RF.

Please stop with the canned "use a VPN" replies/responses.
Especially when you are not using any said VPN yourself right now.

Way back in the day of RealFlight 2 or 3.x and Windows 98/XP there were many
half-baked/proprietary/non-standard VPN systems and services (such as Hamachi & the like) which made
VPN and broadcast over VPN somewhat easy.

Most of those systems are long gone, were not stand-alone, unsupported and do not work on 64bit Windows.

Most normal VPN systems these days simply DO NOT PASS BROADCAST PACKETS by design.

Unless you are using a specific modern VPN system and can share what it is and it's specific setup that works with Realflight 6.5 Please do not say it works fine "over a VPN".

If it were that simple..
Heck even if it wasn't that simple *BUT WORKED* I'd setup an OPENVPN Server here at my office and give all my friends client access accounts for playing RealFlight.

Thanks.
Steve

N8LBV , let it rest.................
maybe you did not see this in the other thread , the other day.........
We already have a feature case filed to consider adding the ability to connect directly to sessions via IP. I see value in the idea. I don't know if/when it will happen. That's really all I can say about that..

At this point KE IS looking into it ....what more do you want ?

Last edited:
N8LBV , let it rest.................
maybe you did not see this in the other thread , the other day.........

At this point KE IS looking into it ....what more do you want ?

Knife edge has asked me (via email) to gather other people who are also interested and bring them on board, and that this would also be a determining factor in if they consider adding this capability.

I am looking for those people and that help.
If someone is out here saying "it already works fine just use a VPN" when it truly does not, you bet I'm going to make a point of it.
The other people I am looking for to help out and voice that they'd like this feature might be less likely to jump on board if they think or have the impression it's not needed because they can "simply just use a VPN" when they actually can't.

So no, sorry I'm not giving it a rest.
Thanks for trying to help though.
Steve
:)

Last edited:
I am for it...

I am for it;

If P-P is added to the current server list system with multi-method connecting hierarchy. I do not wish to risk support of the current system.

Both systems could use a more detailed router/firewall description and/or, case studies showing ideal settings of the major brand name router/firewall products.

I.E. (In Example) attached are images of my Buffalo Router as a product case study for user reference.

My Buffalo router has “Port Range Forwarding” and “UPnP” under a “NAT/QoS” title not before mentioned or known to me. Images of like routers would answer this or improve as clues of titles that hide the objectives.

One very good posting on the networking described all current variations and hierarchy the list server connection checks thru perfectly described. KE should add that posting to the manual under this networking multiplayer. The description just needs additions like add the port opening vs. forwarding, triggering, and UPnP.

I have been connecting through lots of these changes. Still I am afraid I or other users in the session are missing setting details that could improve my performance across the Internet.

Attachments

• Buffallo.JPG
    Buffallo.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 7
  • BuffalloForwarding.JPG
    BuffalloForwarding.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 8
Cool.
Thanks guys!

And yes I *think* you are referencing the old thread where I was trying to figure
out exactly how the little warning icons were working (showing some players connected via proxy instead of directly).. and absolutely zero documentation at the time anywhere on how it worked or what it meant.
While dealing with KnifeEdge on the question also having to deal with the people here on the forum who would just say "who cares?" "just play the game if it works"
"don't worry about how it works we never do" ...

You get much better multiplayer performance when the peers are directly connected to your hosted session than the automatic proxy (which is automatically selected & used if any peer does not have their firewall/port forwarding configured correctly for RealFlight.
Kind of an automatic fallback to make it easy for people but at a loss of performance & quality.

Steve

Back