NO SESSIONS FOUND (KnifeEdge is down)

When I wrote you might have your number wrong, I was referring to the amount of MP players at ~10 and even multiplying this number by 100... Your point was still valid.

In other words... I'm with you on this one. :D

That number is from the bottom of the main forum page.
https://forums.realflight.com/

Today it's up to 62,380 I think. 9 more that don't give a rip?

Regards
The bonehead :)

Hmmm.........all this hullabaloo about the server being down and how many are affected. Just checked. Looks like about 20-25 were affected. Note all of the lone players that are probably not even at their computer.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• ScreenShot121.jpg
    ScreenShot121.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 4
Like I said N8LBV, you are not willing listen and you really don't know what you are talking about because it does work quite well; and yes I have personally used this method. So all of your talk about why you think it won't work is meaningless against actual results.

As was stated before, if you care to remember, due to the manner of forum moderation here lately - I will not post a link or directly talk about other software. So think about your other options.

I remember using VPN's back in 4.5 and 5 with Dr. Moo and never had a problem. We even started the connection via the list server and then disconnected from it and stayed connected to each other. We did that in 5 and 5.5 to have private sessions without passwords. The host would block the list server IP, and we would fall off the list. I haven't used the VPN in 5.5 or 6 though.

Last edited:
Like I said N8LBV, you are not willing listen and you really don't know what you are talking about because it does work quite well; and yes I have personally used this method. .

I'm willing to listen:
Please tell us what VPN works
What software is involved, if it works on both 32bit and 64bit windows
and how you configured it to work with a multiplayer game of Realflight 6.5

I'm all ears, please do tell.

Last edited:
As was stated before, if you care to remember, due to the manner of forum moderation here lately - I will not post a link or directly talk about other software. So think about your other options.

I do care to remember but am not sure what you are talking about here.
Please take a moment to explain. Refresh my memory if I've forgotton something here.
I don't see any problem talking about other software here especially if it will
help users with Realflight multiplayer. This statement makes no sense here.

If you can help out please help out otherwise please keep it to yourself
and button it.

I still think we could really use the ability to connect direct via public IP.

Even if there is a complex super secret VPN hack that may work that nobody here has been willing to come forward with during the months I have been asking for direct connection functionality.

NOT HERE. Look at recent threads about why this place is a ghost town if you don't understand. Then use your head.

Yep. It's ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THAT. Not many people use Multi-player.

Oh and there is a free VPN for you to try

http://www.tunngle.net/index.php?l=en

Tungle is not a *real* VPN.
It's proprietary and centrally managed in the cloud.
Like Kazaa here today and gone tomorrow.
Or free today and $25/Month tomorrow.

The free version is Ad ridden.

No guarantee that your VPN traffic is peer-peer it may be selectively routed
through a proxy at reduced performance.
yadda yadda yadda It's not an actual VPN solution.

It's not the Droids you're looking for, move along.

It will let you connect RealFlight but not optimally like Direct IP and independent of hosted service providers and advertisements (in the VPN client).
And no guarantee it will always be there.

Moo and I did it through our routers. It worked fine for us. I don't have that router anymore though lightning killed it and Moo uses a Uverse Modem. I imagine we could set it up again though with the right hardware .

Last edited:
Moo and I did it through our routers. It worked fine for us. I don't have that router anymore though lightning killed it and Moo uses a Uverse Modem. I imagine we could set it up again though with the right hardware .

Yep, some systems actually do pass broadcast packets as was in your case.
Problem being everyone doesn't have those same routers.
And for that matter neither do you (anymore) :)
Another problem is that in that config you were rather limited to two players.

Having a direct IP option where you can host a game and just always have it there
will be nice..
Your buddies can connect come & go as they please.

I had a Asus router with ddwrt which allowed up to 6 others to connect at the same time. I am going to be getting another one soon as the modem from comcast sucks.

NOT HERE. Look at recent threads about why this place is a ghost town if you don't understand. Then use your head.

I see what you're talking about, took me a bit to find it but you provided good keywords.

Thanks.

I'm a little confused why in the heck I keep getting actively opposed to on my request by good smart people intelligent people who really don't even care
about the feature itself..

You're (or I',m) in a bit different world here.

I want to host a game full time 24/7 and support it make it fun etc. like I have done with other systems/games. That's fun & cool to me (and some others).
I'm a server/network/WAN/LAN guy you guys are model builders and or virtual model makers.
Our needs are different.

I had a Asus router with ddwrt which allowed up to 6 others to connect at the same time. I am going to be getting another one soon as the modem from comcast sucks.

Cool.

I have PFSense running in a virtual machine in VMWare.
Although you can run it on any 'ol PC and make it a dedicated router.
This has OpenVPN and IPSEC built on.
With a few hacks some custom config (not all from the GUI) I think I could get a hacked tunnel that passes broadcast packets up & running to someone else with the same software (PFSense) and get a game going via that tunnel.. But that takes a lot of doing.
Not really a problem on my end for for all the other folks I'd like to connect with that's quite a chore on their end.

Not impossible but certainly not easy.
If they add the ability to connect direct via IP address that will be much easier.

I feel frustrated as in the over seven years that I have been active on this forum there has never been anyone that I've been unwilling to help.

N8LBV, I'm more than willing to help you too but you don't seem to be getting the message. This is not the place to talk about the information you want, so pick another way to communicate (i.e. use the Private Message function to send me an email address, or use the one I have posted in my profile). I can tell you of a low cost VPN solution (it was free for home use, but I don't think it is anymore) that was specifically developed to support LAN gaming over the Internet. I've used it and it works well with all versions RealFlight from G3 up.

N8LBV, I'm more than willing to help you too but you don't seem to be getting the message. This is not the place to talk about the information you want, so pick another way to communicate

True, I'm not really getting the message Also I'm not really asking or looking for VPN help, I asked the people who keep saying things like "It's easy just use a VPN" to provide an actual working example and they have not.

I can tell you of a low cost VPN solution (it was free for home use, but I don't think it is anymore)

You are probably refering the Hamachi or a hosted service like Hamachi.
Most of those are now gone or have been bought up by LOGMEIN and are no longer free.

What I am looking for here is people interested in asking KE to provide what would work best for a non centralized hosted games/list server to be required in order to play over the Internet easily, and that would be to allow for hosting a game and allowing other clients to connect & play via public routable IP address
and not have to worry about a special VPN that passes broadcast traffic to play a LAN game over a special VPN tunnel that is pretty hard to come by.

I will send you a PM with my email and phone to see if we can get on the same page and continue the chat.

I respect that you've been here for 7 years! that's awesome.
And I respect the people here on this forum.
I'd like to think sometimes I can type candidly without grownups peeing their pants when I speak my mind and that I can also take it properly when anyone else wants to dish it out my way.
:)

Let's have fun.
Steve

No one who has any sense will post what you are asking for HERE, if they want to stay. You were told long ago to use a PM or email, because I would not post said info. I had my reasons then and they still apply.

And actually, it does sound like you need help, or at least a bit of guidance, because when I say VPN I am not talking about some hosted BS or anything on the net. VPN = Server + Client + Tunneling Protocol. This is a stand-alone software application designed for multiple platforms and provides the connectivity you are looking for.

I will not dispute that it might be nice if RF could just do it alone, but I cracked that nut a long time ago and you are right, my needs have been met and so I don't really care anymore. I use the VPN solution much more often than any online multiplayer. It's private, secure, and I control it.

So bottom line - there is nothing wrong with speaking your mind, but you have to listen too. Never assume you know everything about any particular subject. Because there is so much out there, something new (or old) can always sneak up and bite you.

For example - Yes I am a model builder and virtual model maker to use your own words, that's my hobby. But in real life I am a systems engineer and information systems manager, who has personally networked full-sized aircraft simulators around the world in real time for the US Air Force. I have over twenty years experience designing, building, and supporting computer systems and networks and currently have 25 server/network/WAN/LAN guys (and gals) working for me, and I still come up with things they haven't thought of. So yes, I found your dismissive comments insulting and it tended to get my hackles up.

My mode of operation is figure out how to do things that other people say can't be done.

Last edited:
And actually, it does sound like you need help, or at least a bit of guidance,

I'm open to help & guidance.
If my presentation suggests otherwise I need to work on that.

I will not dispute that it might be nice if RF could just do it alone,

At the end of the day that' all I'm asking for here, not help with a VPN setup.

So bottom line - there is nothing wrong with speaking your mind, but you have to listen too. Never assume you know everything about any particular subject. Because there is so much out there, something new (or old) can always sneak up and bite you.

So yes, I found your dismissive comments insulting and it tended to get my hackles up.

If I come off like I know everything again I need to adjust my presentation,
I'm more of a anxious kid and love to learn new things.
Was trying to show irritation at/toward #1 people poopoo'ing the request itself that really don't care about it, I mean let me make my request and gather/look for others please.
Don't get all in my poop for asking :) or preach to me how stupid of a request it is.
and #2 people with generic responses saying just use a "vpn it's easy".
and seemingly not really able to stand behind that statement or demonstrate the "easy" part of it.

Not so much am I offended or affected but my concern is that as I'm trying to gather/spark other interested parties (as KnifeEdge has suggested I actively do).
I didn't want other potentials to be discouraged or feel/think "oh I could just use a VPN easily" and lose their interest.

I really did not mean to be dismissive, rough and a little bit passionate yes but not dismissive.

Sounds like you have an awesome experience history and present and you probably know more than I do about the matter, I respect that.
Thanks for being patient.
Nice to meet you.

Steve

No permanent damage done, Steve.

RF may eventually add a method of direct connection, as it actually has been requested a number of times over the years. In the mean time, you are more than welcome to try out my solution. I will admit it took some research and a bit of testing to find a suitable product, as just about everything you've noted in your previous posts about VPNs is true even if not universally applicable.

Doug

Last edited:
Still would very much like this, a way to do it.
Please keep that in mind.
I'll nag about it every once in a great while.
Greatly enjoying and using multiplayer as-is even with it's quirks.
I also know how to bridge broadcast traffic and same IP range lans over a VPN for this.
But that makes it a lot of work to get someone else to play with you.

Like others I agree better physics and something newer than DX9 (better /realistic/graphics & physics should be a priority over direct connect...
just seems to me they are almost there already there on direct public IP connect.
Like there'd not be a whole heck of a lot to do to add it.
Even if I have to do it all via config files.

Thanks!

Back