NO SESSIONS FOUND (KnifeEdge is down)

Number of registered users -> 62,371
Number that give a rip when mp goes down -> less than 10?

Regards
Michael

# of boneheads that bring up pointless assides: ?

Try # of active users instead.
Also consider the # of people who are affected but just don't say anything.

A real indication would be more like # of active users in multiplayer day to day and on weekends.
That is the number that is truly affected right now.

I have seen multiplayer on many weekends many times and probably about 40-50 people use it and 30 or so would be regulars. This is just a tiny fraction of actual users of Realflight. There probably have been less than 20 come to complain about it this weekend.

Maybe the theluthier got his number wrong.

Let say we stick to 62,371 and stretch the mp crowd from 10 to 1000 dumb farts like us. He still got a point.

I have seen multiplayer on many weekends many times and probably about 40-50 people use it and 30 or so would be regulars. This is just a tiny fraction of actual users of Realflight. There probably have been less than 20 come to complain about it this weekend.

An accepted figure in the customer service industry say for each customer taking the time to complain 20 will shut up.

A real indication would be more like # of active users in multiplayer day to day and on weekends.
That is the number that is truly affected right now.

You may not like to hear it, but he is right...

The total number of people affected is pretty low compared to the total purchasers/users.

It's an RC simulator after all...

MP is not a big deal, no matter how loudly a few complain about it being down during a long weekend.

Of course shouting into the wind makes some feel better.

For those touting Phoenix, etc... good luck to you... just try creating a mix in that sim sometime and you'll quickly run into it's shortcomings.

I would venture to say 2% or less of the total copies sold actually use Multi-player on a regular basis. I have been using Multi-player since G4.0 pretty regularly and over the 4 years and hundreds of hours using the different versions I can pretty much say that it's not a lot of people that use it on a regular basis.

N8LBV you should edit your post, I have seen users get banned for less around here.

Banned? Please advise.
For what.

You say for less.

What did I do wrong and what did others do wrong that was less?
Was using the term "boneheads" a bit to strong?
Thanks.
Steve

You may not like to hear it, but he is right...

The total number of people affected is pretty low compared to the total purchasers/users.

Pretty curious what that number might actually be.
Realflight sure seems LOADED with multiplayer features games scenarios etc.
I don't think it's a minor feature of RealFlight.
Agree certainly not the main feature or most important.
I too would like to see better realism/DX11 first.

Numbers aside I still say it can't hurt to keep asking for direct IP connect capability and at least attempt to get others onboard.

Especially if it would be relatively easy for them to do.

I don't understand why the argument. The software should work as designed. I think that someone is sabotaging the multiplayer feature on long holiday weekends. KE should make arrangements to be able to remotely reset the software. Alternately, reboot the server at midnight everyday so only one day is lost.

Look at the logs and see if a particular player is active each time the server goes down. Some players can't afford to fly each weekend. Some players are handicapped and use it as a way of getting together with friends.

Multi-player would be much more active if all versions were able to communicate with each other. How you use the software is your business and you should not care how someone else does the same. Once you get used to meeting guys at a certain time on-line, you miss it. I would hope all 62,380 would be interested in insuring the feature works and continues to work no matter what happens to the software or company. I would be willing to pay for the upgrade solely for the ability to connect player to player over the internet.

I don't understand why the argument. The software should work as designed. I think that someone is sabotaging the multiplayer feature on long holiday weekends. KE should make arrangements to be able to remotely reset the software. Alternately, reboot the server at midnight everyday so only one day is lost.

Look at the logs and see if a particular player is active each time the server goes down. Some players can't afford to fly each weekend. Some players are handicapped and use it as a way of getting together with friends.

I don't think it's a particular person shutting down multiplayer for everyone as I don't think it can be done at least within the software. Its possible to shut down individual sessions in the program but not other sessions you didn't join. I would think it would have to be a attack outside the RF software going for the server directly. I just think they shut it off on purpose for long weekends.

Lets see what happens on Thanksgiving weekend. Anyone want to take bets that it will be up or down that weekend?

Numbers aside I still say it can't hurt to keep asking for direct IP connect capability and at least attempt to get others onboard.

Especially if it would be relatively easy for them to do.

It looks like you're going to get your wish!

I think that someone is sabotaging the multiplayer feature on long holiday weekends.

It really does seem that way doesn't it.

Most "normal" weekends there are no problems, but every holiday weekend... crash.

Then again it could also be to a higher number of connected machines too.

It looks like you're going to get your wish!

That would be sweet!
And if/when that does happen you can bet I'll be hosting some high quality well managed sessions for a few years like I have done on Microsoft FSX over the years.

:)

<EDIT> Do you mean the wish where I wished for more wishes? ;-)

Last edited:
mj_245 & N8LBV, both of you harp on direct IP or peer-to-peer connections. That has always been possible, as noted several times before, yet no one seems to want to listen (and the rest don't care).

The solution is simply a VPN allowing a direct connection between the parties that want to play whenever and not rely on a server.

Note that you need a gaming VPN that supports broadcast traffic, so that all the computers see each other as if they are in a LAN even though they can be spread around the world.

mj_245 & N8LBV, both of you harp on direct IP or peer-to-peer connections. That has always been possible, as noted several times before, yet no one seems to want to listen (and the rest don't care).

The solution is simply a VPN allowing a direct connection between the parties that want to play whenever and not rely on a server.

Note that you need a gaming VPN that supports broadcast traffic, so that all the computers see each other as if they are in a LAN even though they can be spread around the world.
HI dhk thanks for commenting and trying to be of help but NO.

I've detailed (in great detail) how it is NOT.
Please take the time to read what I have posted about this.
It is not at all simple by any means and ALL modern/standard VPN systems
BY DESIGN block prohibit and do not allow broadcast traffic to pass through them.
Rendering all of them non compatible with Realflight and trying to use it via VPN.

'Gaming VPN's' as you explained it are a thing of the past (late 90's).

They pretty much do not exist anymore. Now a'days. there are a few but they are cloud based and are pay-for services.

We really do need the ability to connect via IP and not broadcast address on a LAN.

Sorry, you are very wrong here.

If you are not wrong then Please name a simple VPN system that anyone can use
for free that IS NOT cloud based or subscription based is non-proprietary (meaning uses well known VPN standards such as IPSEC or OPENVPN.

Is installable and useable by about anyone in the Realflight Community.
And beside that Let's see you actually use it and show us. :)

Oh wait.. you're probably one of the folks that doesn't really care about this ability so you've not actually done or tried this and might just be repeating what you have heard others say
about using a VPN over & over here.
The VPN also would need to support a point to multipoint configuration and share the broadcast packets with all clients + the host in order to support more than just two players.

I do not mean any disrespect here but I feel that you guys generally come in here saying "You don't need that, Just simply use a VPN" when you truly do not know what's involved what works and what doesn't work
and you yourself are not doing it and running multiplayer Realflight games over a VPN. :)
Again thanks.
Steve

Last edited:
Back