P-39 Airacobra EP

When I shaped the fuselage and cutout the canopy I didn't add the cockpit floor or the half instrument panel (because of no full cockpit) so that's what I did this morning. I'm getting close to being ready to map it. I suppose I'll go ahead and replace the tires with my newer ones with the rounded sidewalls before I map it. I might also shorten the nose gear a little, it seems a tiny bit too long.

I wouldn`t shorten that gear too much, I`m sure you know the P-39 has a nose high stance, as evidenced in the pic. in post #1
Yes I know about the nose high stance. I was thinking about shortening it about 1/4 the distance.. I think when I added the wing gear the distance got messed up a little.

I just finished replacing the old tires with the new tiress with the rounded sidewalls, they definitely look better. I generally have to do that because when I grab a set of gear from one of my older planes to use on a new plane the old gear has the old tires. I reuse a lot of parts because it saves me time creating a new part.

I decided not to change the length of the nose gear. I'll take a look at it when I import it in RealFlight and see what it looks like then. Things look different in RealFlight from the editor because in the editor you're very close to the plane. Ha.. and the fact I'm overly sensitive to the nose high stance. (So I better leave it alone it's probably right to the plans)

One other thing I thought I`d mention, It`s a minor detail ........ Where the dorsal fin meets the Vstab, it should have a nice clean radiused transition instead of an angular transition. Hardly worth a mention, just thought I`d bring it to your attention...;);)

One other thing I thought I`d mention, It`s a minor detail ........ Where the dorsal fin meets the Vstab, it should have a nice clean radiused transition instead of an angular transition. Hardly worth a mention, just thought I`d bring it to your attention...;);)
Yeah I've been thinking about fixing that (I get lazy sometimes). Thanks for the nudge.

I had removed the plans from the 3d file (getting ready for mapping) so I went back and imported them again so I could check the nose gear length. For some reason I thought the nose gear length had changed after I finished with the gear but according to the plans it's the same, so it's a good thing I didn't change it.

Last edited:
OK with that. I'm not even going to mention that the air intake behind the canopy has slightly rounded edges on it's opening. But I didn't say that, oops I guess I just did. I figured it might be worth mentioning before you start mapping. 🤗 Technoid you know I love your warbirds.

Last edited:
OK with that. I'm not even going to mention that the air intake behind the canopy has slightly rounded edges on it's opening. But I didn't say that, oops I guess I just did. I figured it might be worth mentioning before you start mapping. 🤗 Technoid you know I love your warbirds.
Yeah I noticed that too (ha when I made it), in fact the intake isn't perfect for sure. But I'll take another look at it before I start mapping.

I went back and worked on the intake (alot). I had forgotten it was one of those things I put off finishing until later. So, it's a good thing you mentioned it. So take a look and see if the rounded part is okay? But there was a LOT more done to it than that. I hadn't done anything except create the basic shell. So the internal walls I paint black to make the intake have depth wasn't there. I still have one thing I want to do to it, but that's enough for tonight. Oh I also made the top part of the vstab a little wider so the vstab should look more like the real thing now.

PX-39 14.jpg

I mentioned I had one more thing to do to the Intake. The front of the intake was square edged so I added a chamfer to round it out, it definitely looks better. The last thing I need to do is reshape the wing a little.

Can't wait for this one to be released!!🤗 Wondering what color scheme you're planning on. Is it the one you showed in the first post #1. Or do you have another in mind? I might be jumping the gun here a little, just curious. There are so many. I've always liked the one with the white tail white leading-edge wing cuffs and yellow spinner. But that's just me. I would think others have color schemes they like better. Whatever you go with I know I'm going to love it.;)

Back