RAF SE5a

Hi y'all
Been a long time since. Ive been able to log in here
I see some familiar faces

Major WHO !!!!! :eek: :D Just kidding Major, ;) good to see you chime in. Hope all is good with ya man. I`ve been inactive at CS`s for awhile myself, but still try and stay a little active in the forums.....:D I finally created an EA, not sure if you`ve seen it ???, check out my files if you have`nt.

Loaded. RF6 today
That brought me here
I stil talk to baser all the time onfb
Life is very diferent now
I wil pop in here more often

Loaded. RF6 today
That brought me here
I stil talk to baser all the time onfb
Life is very diferent now
I wil pop in here more often
I thought you had RF6 already ???...I could be wrong ?? Nice to hear you`re keeping in touch with Andy, He chimes in once in while, Hope he`s doing good as well,... YEP, I smell what you`re steppin` in about the life thing.;);), Hope you do pop in more often, as you can see with the thread that you`re in Technoid is doing great work on his SE5a, He`s been doing great models for awhile now, as well as others, Legoman is currently working on a Starliner,... FE, is working the "flying sub" from "voyage to the bottom of the sea". SO HEY, do check in and catch up withe latest models ;);)

Well the SE5a is finally ready to release but I'll wait till the weekend to release it. I did change a few things yesterday.

1. The brakes were on the channel 8 switch because at first they tended to affect the plane at take-off. But some didn't care for having the brakes on the channel 8 switch so I changed the brakes so they're activated by Up Elevator like normal, but I adjusted the brake curve so the braking affect doesn't start until 80 percent of up elevator so that should fix them affecting the plane at take off.

2. The compass face had some missing smoothing groups.

3. The compass pointer had some missing smoothing groups.

4. The bottom compass mount had a few verts that needed welding.

5. The 'G' on the sides of the fuselage needed to be aligned better.

6. I increased the gloss from 303030 to 383838 just enough to make a difference.

So I fixed all of that now I need to do a release build and fly it a bit more.

I did the release build and tested it in RF-9 and RF-X and everything seems fine so should I go ahead and release it now or wait till the weekend?

I did the release build and tested it in RF-9 and RF-X and everything seems fine so should I go ahead and release it now or wait till the weekend?

Whatever you feel like doing. Hopefully it won't get buried under more 3D plane CS's right away.

Whatever you feel like doing. Hopefully it won't get buried under more 3D plane CS's right away.

Yeah giving it a second thought I suppose I should wait till the weekend to release it. There are so many things released these days the plane deserves a chance to be seen before moving down the list. I have put more work in this plane than most of my others.

Well they'll be a slight delay I decided to go all the way and give the SE5a it's dihedral it just didn't seem right to release it without it. So here's a picture for you. I just finished adding the dihedral so I haven't reworked the physics yet but that's next. Then I'll probably need to redo the wing mapping but I'll check the 1x1 mapping first to see what it looks like. SO.. is this better?

Attachments

• RAF SE5a 11.jpg
    RAF SE5a 11.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 12
Well they'll be a slight delay I decided to go all the way and give the SE5a it's dihedral it just didn't seem right to release it without it. So here's a picture for you. I just finished adding the dihedral so I haven't reworked the physics yet but that's next. Then I'll probably need to redo the wing mapping but I'll check the 1x1 mapping first to see what it looks like. SO.. is this better?

Looks bent :D

hooray dihedral :D

SO.. I just imported the modified SE5a in RealFlight and here's what I found, what I've been calling the Angle Stripe problem. So now I to have to save both wings to an OBJ file, then delete them, and import merge the OBJ. Then I'll need to fix the part names and pivot points. Boy I need to try a different version of 3ds Max and see if that will fix this problem.

Attachments

• Wing After Adding Dihedra 01.jpg
    Wing After Adding Dihedra 01.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Wing After Adding Dihedra 02.jpg
    Wing After Adding Dihedra 02.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 5
SO.. I just imported the modified SE5a in RealFlight and here's what I found, what I've been calling the Angle Stripe problem. So now I to have to save both wings to an OBJ file, then delete them, and import merge the OBJ. Then I'll need to fix the part names and pivot points. Boy I need to try a different version of 3ds Max and see if that will fix this problem.

Your sure these setting are right on export. just checking because I don't remember ever encountering this issue

FBX Export Settings
The following settings should be set when exporting an FBX from 3ds Max:
  • Smoothing Groups
  • Units - Automatic
  • Version - 2014/2015
The following should definitely not be set:
  • TurboSmooth
  • Split per-vertex Normals

Looks great Tech., it just wouldn`t be an SE5a without it. ..:D

Yeah I know, the closer I got to release the more that bothered me. Even though I prefer flying it without dihedral.

BUT.. I had the release build finished so now I'll have it both ways.

Back