Rating Misuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already voiced my opinions about the ratings in other threads, so I won't go into it further.

However, forum members could rate each other, as in a "Reputation Meter"
The weight of each forum members "Reputation" will have greater influence on a submission's rating. Of course, those forum members who do not bother to contribute to forum discussions may be left out but should encourage them to become active participants in the forums if they want to rate a model.

Of course, this would lead to other forms of ratings abuse of each other, but it's just a thought.

A reputation meter may not really be necessary if the system is made non-anonymous. Seeing who is voting would allow everyone to judge by their own internal reputation meter. I know there are certain forum members who's opinion I would "rate" higher than others. This reputation would not be based on just how they vote, but on what they post and contribute in all of the discussions.

I agree. Non anonymous rating should address much of the objections.
A more draconian method would be to have KE create an authentication server based on one's G3 signature. Also, side benefit, when someone is banned, they are "banned".

lylo said:
A more draconian method would be to have KE create an authentication server based on one's G3 signature. Also, side benefit, when someone is banned, they are "banned".
That is a very good and original idea :)

Vander said:
Here's a novel idea....do away with the ratings all together....all it seems to do is create sh!tstorms one after the other...do away with ratings and problem goes away :eek:

Now that right there is an idea I LOVE.

And I'm not being funny here. Let's take a look at the statistics, shall we?

Rick's beautiful B-29 has been downloaded 5,707 times!!! That's a lot! Okay, now let's see how many votes it has...63?!?!? Yes that's right, 63! Okay, maybe that is just a fluke or something, let's look at the next one.

Ah yes, yogi's awesome T-Rex model, downloaded 4,577 times. Let's see how many people voted for this one....29?!?!? Yes that's right, 29. Okay maybe another fluke, one more...

Another great Rick creation, posted by opjose, with 3,416 downloads. Surely it has lot's of votes! Let's see...28?!?!? Oh my, what does this mean?!?

Well it means this. No one votes. And whoever it is, its the same people over and over who vote. Let's take a look at the "Highest rated" files next.

First is Keylitho's awesome Typhoon 3D(good work on this BTW). But how can it be the highest rated file, EVER? Well that's because it has 7 votes, all 10's! It was released today and has only 7 votes, yet is the highest rated file ever....I could go to the next but it's mainly the same story. What does this mean?

Well it means that our voting system really has no meaning to it whatsoever. Go look at the EA's on the swap pages. You are going to either see 9+ scores or 4 and below scores. Most people vote 9 or 10 on a model when it should realistically be getting about a 7.

I still believe to this day that Rick's Extra300L(found here) is the best modeled plane that we G3ers have to download. The model is gorgeous, and has a fully moving cockpit with a moving joystick and rudder pedals. But it's not even in the top 5, because it only has a 9.4 rating. But what it does have is 47 votes. And I think if the system stays that it should be moved to a weight based system. The more votes you have the higher your weight, so someone with one vote of 10 can't knock off a person with a 9.9 and one hundred votes.

My belief is that the voting system should go. But that is my opinion, one of many. Take of it what you'd like.

PS: opjose, how can you type this much on a daily basis???

Sorry guys I obviously started a second thread about this.
This was not my intention, actually I have no hint how this happened.
Please delete the other thread KE. :confused: :)

inky00 said:
My latest creation,the F-100 D SuperSabre has been voted a 1 by someone,surely its worth more than that.

I doubt anyone takes the 1 rating seriously. Everyone who has ever tried to design an aircraft knows the F-100 is an outstanding piece of workmanship. I think we just have a couple of people out there who can't get attention any other way so they decide to get it this way.

Keep up the Good Work and Thanks! :)

Well i say this, there should be a little link on the plane page your veiwing saying "Veiw/Make comments" so you can give your rating and tell the creator why you gave it "that" rating.Thus there is no need for accusing the innocent,and making enemy's. sound good? :eek:

Attachments

• 1214972.jpg
    1214972.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 42
Zelatio said:
Now that right there is an idea I LOVE.

And I'm not being funny here. Let's take a look at the statistics, shall we?

Rick's beautiful B-29 has been downloaded 5,707 times!!! That's a lot! Okay, now let's see how many votes it has...63?!?!? Yes that's right, 63! Okay, maybe that is just a fluke or something, let's look at the next one.

Ah yes, yogi's awesome T-Rex model, downloaded 4,577 times. Let's see how many people voted for this one....29?!?!? Yes that's right, 29. Okay maybe another fluke, one more...

Another great Rick creation, posted by opjose, with 3,416 downloads. Surely it has lot's of votes! Let's see...28?!?!? Oh my, what does this mean?!?

Well it means this. No one votes. And whoever it is, its the same people over and over who vote. Let's take a look at the "Highest rated" files next.

First is Keylitho's awesome Typhoon 3D(good work on this BTW). But how can it be the highest rated file, EVER? Well that's because it has 7 votes, all 10's! It was released today and has only 7 votes, yet is the highest rated file ever....I could go to the next but it's mainly the same story. What does this mean?

Well it means that our voting system really has no meaning to it whatsoever. Go look at the EA's on the swap pages. You are going to either see 9+ scores or 4 and below scores. Most people vote 9 or 10 on a model when it should realistically be getting about a 7.

I still believe to this day that Rick's Extra300L(found here) is the best modeled plane that we G3ers have to download. The model is gorgeous, and has a fully moving cockpit with a moving joystick and rudder pedals. But it's not even in the top 5, because it only has a 9.4 rating. But what it does have is 47 votes. And I think if the system stays that it should be moved to a weight based system. The more votes you have the higher your weight, so someone with one vote of 10 can't knock off a person with a 9.9 and one hundred votes.

My belief is that the voting system should go. But that is my opinion, one of many. Take of it what you'd like.

PS: opjose, how can you type this much on a daily basis???

I agree with you 100%.....appears someone didnt like me saying that though because my post was removed

@Zelatio: Well-said! I think we all could benefit from a smarter rating system. Whether we have time to do that is the real question.

@Vander: It wasn't removed, you posted that in the duplicate thread.

EDIT: Here's my take on the rating system, for what it's worth (I'll make this short):
* It's accurate (as accurate as a subjective thing can be) for most files, especially those which are extremely poor. It's essential for those files because I think most people don't want to waste time downloading something of poor quality.
* It's not accurate for the top-tier models. Rick's 9.4 model is better than most of the 10's out there IMO.
* The top-4 list is a revolving door of files who haven't yet received less than a 10. This makes the it seem less useful, but then again it IS nice to see new models in there. Having it so chaotic revives older models that were recently given a high rating, allowing those who may have missed them a chance to try them.
* It lacks written feedback. A rating of 1 could mean "it doesn't fly well" or "you stole my idea" or "I don't like cars." You just never know.
* Overall, it's better than no rating system at all.

Disclaimer: None of the above statements reflect on KE's plans for swap page development.

Last edited:
My B-29 V-Pitch video got a 1 and a 10 so far, and we're not allowed to rate our own (I know my own vote would have been 10 :D)

The 1 made me feel a little bad, but then I figured it was just some doofus that hangs around on HotorNot too :p

I've thought about the rating system too, and I think it's pretty much useless. There's waaay too much room for misuse, and then there was that kid that was saying he would have anything lower than a 5 rating removed. I'm sorry, but your age has nothing to do with what I think of the aircraft model. If it's total crap, I'm giving it a 1. If it's awesome, I'm giving it a 10. I'll admit I haven't voted much, but still... I think most people are just excited to get the plane up and going on the sim and then forget to rate it, that's what I usually end up doing.

We could easily get rid of it if it's being misused... there's other ways to tell what planes people would want.

MadMonkey said:
My B-29 V-Pitch video got a 1 and a 10 so far, and we're not allowed to rate our own (I know my own vote would have been 10 :D)

The 1 made me feel a little bad, but then I figured it was just some doofus that hangs around on HotorNot too :p

I've thought about the rating system too, and I think it's pretty much useless. There's waaay too much room for misuse, and then there was that kid that was saying he would have anything lower than a 5 rating removed. I'm sorry, but your age has nothing to do with what I think of the aircraft model. If it's total crap, I'm giving it a 1. If it's awesome, I'm giving it a 10. I'll admit I haven't voted much, but still... I think most people are just excited to get the plane up and going on the sim and then forget to rate it, that's what I usually end up doing.

We could easily get rid of it if it's being misused... there's other ways to tell what planes people would want.
I am amazed that someone would give a b-29 with v-pitch a 10,as it is not based on a real rc plane and as such should get a low mark,i mean have you ever seen a b-29 with a v-pitch? I doubt it very much.What i dont like is when you make a model and it is very close to the real thing and you get a 1,that is just crazy.

inky00 said:
I am amazed that someone would give a b-29 with v-pitch a 10,as it is not based on a real rc plane and as such should get a low mark,i mean have you ever seen a b-29 with a v-pitch? I doubt it very much.What i dont like is when you make a model and it is very close to the real thing and you get a 1,that is just crazy.

Yeah many of these highly unrealistic posts are unwarranted...

e.g. the "Jetman's" series of posts... ( we do remember one spamming individual who claimed to have fairly expensive jet's and loved to post stuff like this don't we? )

inky00 said:

The post I made was a recording, not a variation. The video was meant purely as entertainment. Have you ever seen a Wolf Spyder in real life? I didn't think so. Yet for some reason KnifeEdge included it in an add-on... it's a flight sim, it doesn't have to always be taken seriously. Good grief.

opjose said:
Yeah many of these highly unrealistic posts are unwarranted...

e.g. the "Jetman's" series of posts... ( we do remember one spamming individual who claimed to have fairly expensive jet's and loved to post stuff like this don't we? )

I agree, if it's an unnecessary aircraft variation, it's not needed. But again, I posted a VIDEO, not a MODEL.

MadMonkey said:
The post I made was a recording, not a variation. The video was meant purely as entertainment. Have you ever seen a Wolf Spyder in real life? I didn't think so. Yet for some reason KnifeEdge included it in an add-on... it's a flight sim, it doesn't have to always be taken seriously.

The Wolf is a VIABLE aircraft. You could build a working RC version of it and it would fly as in the sim.

It exhibits a high degree of craftsmanship, knowledge and aerodynamic insight.

People judge the quality of the sim by the included and downloadable planes.

If they get junk, they'll think the sim is junk.

Had Real Flight for a long time now. Been browsing the forums and swap pages for quite a while too. And i can't for the life of me see why everyone kicks up such a fuss over this rating system. Getting worked up for nothing, some of you.

Take it easy guys.

Lillelj
;)

I for one was guilty of releasing the "UFO just for fun" EA over a year ago when I first bought my copy of G3. This was my attempt at taking the sim to it's limit. It did not get received very well.

IMHO -The sim should be used not just to create realistic flying machines but also to explore new applications. The simulated environment and its virtual electronics give us the ability to do "what if scenarios". If the sim is so good then pretty much anyting that flies in this sim could be created in the real world (provided real world parameters are used). If we all stick to just creating real world, already built and tested, airplanes then this sim and forum will not grow and will become stale very quickly. It's probably the same reasons some real world RC modelers out there create the flying lawnmowers and pizzas.

Personally, I've been more like a "mad scientist" when I use the sim. However, the beauty of this thing is that everyone can add their own special touches to personalize any of the virtual flying machines suit their own skills and be entertained as well. (Check out my latest implementation to make the sim f-22 work like the one from the real world.)

Granted not all creations in the swaps appeal to everyone, but the shear fact that people want to share their creations, no matter how strange or weird it is, gives the this community variety and highlight the diversity of people that frequent this forum. There is always the delete function if you download something that you do not like. Everyone has choices.

My $.02 on the subject.

Last edited:
I think its an insult when some one makes an AV that has whacky wings tons of smoke and it hovers,when you see it, you go "what did you do to it!!??! the maker of that plane put soo much work into it and you did that?!!?"
I Say they should work on making the plane fly better.

O Yea Inky i have an exelent AV of your F-100D representing the Bob Violette Models F-100D with the weight of 28 pounds revised airfoils and a JC Titan Turbine,and of course the 85 O.Z Fuel tank,it needs flaps for take off and landing,it doesnt bounce alot on landings anymore.
Do i have permission to post it inky?

lylo said:
I for one was guilty of releasing the "UFO just for fun" EA over a year ago when I first bought my copy of G3. This was my attempt at taking the sim to it's limit. It did not get received very well.
Sorry it wasn't received well. I personally thought it was a great piece of work. One of the few custom planes I've downloaded for my own use over the years. It may not be "realistic", but it is for sure fun. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back