Rating Misuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
opjose said:
The Wolf is a VIABLE aircraft. You could build a working RC version of it and it would fly as in the sim.

It exhibits a high degree of craftsmanship, knowledge and aerodynamic insight.

You could build an electric B-29 with V-Pitch propellers too, and it would take less work than the Wolf Spyder. I don't see what your problem is, I posted a simple RECORDING of some entertaining flying by a plane I modified myself. I didn't post the variation, as that would have just been silly because anybody can do it in 5 minutes. I doubt many people have seen anything like it unless they play around with modifications themselves.

People judge the quality of the sim by the included and downloadable planes.

Then maybe someone should purge the list of downloadable planes, as I've seen many that were totally worthless.

If they get junk, they'll think the sim is junk.

If they get junk, it's safe to assume that they already have the simulator, which by that time they'll have been set in their opinion of what they think of the sim. I doubt anyone is going to judge a sim by user created content. That's like saying the game Counter Strike sucks because I downloaded a crappy map.

lylo said:
IMHO -The sim should be used not just to create realistic flying machines but also to explore new applications.

THANK YOU. I have a LOT of fun playing with planes and experimenting with new ideas; I did the go-as-fast-as-you-can-until-the-physics-lock thing too, then got bored and serious. I try to make great flying planes and fun planes at the same time; after a lot of work the B-29 V-Pitch is a hoot :D I've been playing around with the Raven also and getting it to fly correctly.

But as I said, it's nothing to get hurt feelings over if someone posts an entertaining video in the rather anemic video section. We need more fun.

Lighten up, people. Seriously. We aren't working for NASA. :rolleyes:

lylo said:
I for one was guilty of releasing the "UFO just for fun" EA over a year ago when I first bought my copy of G3. This was my attempt at taking the sim to it's limit. It did not get received very well.

... not received very well by a couple of posters who did not appreciate what you had done!

But what you did took ACTUAL WORK to create, whereas those "wacky" things a few choose to post are not in the same league.

"Then maybe someone should purge the list of downloadable planes, as I've seen many that were totally worthless."

Exactly, those "worthless" posts interspersed with the genuine efforts don't belong there.

How many 400mph unrealistic planes are there now? Or stock planes with articulated wings?

"I doubt anyone is going to judge a sim by user created content."

Check out the boards for other sims, this is exactly what ends up happening.

A "just for fun" section would be very welcome to post the "wacky" stuff.

It would let everyone know that the post was never intended to mimic reality.

It would also garner the poster, better ratings, as if they post to this section we would drop any expectations of logical behaviour.

opjose said:

It would let everyone know that the post was never intended to mimic reality.

It would also garner the poster, better ratings, as if they post to this section we would drop any expectations of logical behaviour.
I second that great idea. We should have section just for the "just for fun" and/or ''wacky" .

opjose said:

Actually that's not a half bad idea... any way we can lobby for that? It would be a great place for useless, but interesting, ideas... We need more than just an overall aircraft model directory.

I'd suggest fixed-wing, heli, jet, unpowered, and fun sections. No reason for a ton of different categories (I mean, you could go all the way down to Aircraft/Fixed Wing/Aerobatic/3D/Glow Powered/Four Stroke/ just to find a UCanDo variant.) No need for that, just make a way to break it down and make it easier to use...

I like that idea :)

Yup, yup yup...

That would also act to segregate things even making the ratings easier.

Who cares if the wings are wacky on a plane, if it's in the "just for fun" section.

The downloader will already know that something is amiss, and not compare these planes with ones attempting to mimic the real thing.

I’d also second that Idea!

and Motion to Annex? a similar sub forum in the General section, or a new Designers section.

Why not have a section there with the same tone.
you could call it.
Like OP said.
Just for fun
Or
test pilots
Mad monkeys
X-craft
May be a winner of a created design could get their Skeleton painted;) (Getting ahead of my self there)

NE way. segregation in the Swap pages Heli/Planes
Keeping it real and Just for fun actually. I wonder if it could be just a flag type you can select to view all craft of this TYPE. (Multiple flag choice avail) IE ,Just for fun and Heli hmmm

Just for fun is a good Idea for now. (Is it easy for them to implement ?)

While we're at it: I observe that lately, planes are given too high ratings (at least initially). All planes that are somewhat usable and don't look like crap are given several 10s. This was quite different at the beginning of the swap pages, where planes would generally get less and lower ratings.

Though this feels like cutting my own arm, I have to admit that I personally wouldn't give my own Carbon Traveler a 10. I mean, I really put some effort in the 3D and physics model to make it look and fly like the original and I think it's kinda unique currently, but still I'm aware that there are better planes on the swap pages. Honestly, I'd think an 8 would be a fair rating.

This criticism towards my own planes bring me in a diffcult situation for other planes. E.g. I'd like to rate the Typhoon 3D. This is really a plane I looked forward to, it looks great and has a pretty good physics model. Still, IMHO it's not so perfect to rate it a 10. E.g. it has no modelled servos, not to speak of animated control horns or push rods. Also the UV mapping on the lower fuselage is stretched. So personally, though I like this plane very much, I'd think something between 8 and 9 would be a fair rating. Then again, I see that even a 9 would lower the current rating which makes me feel hypercritic and so I don't rate it at all.

I would like two rating systems for EA's. One for looks and one for flight performace because some planes look great but, fly poorly and vise-versa.

rcplanefubar said:
I would like two rating systems for EA's. One for looks and one for flight performace because some planes look great but, fly poorly and vise-versa.

The LAST thing we need is more chances to misuse the ratings system...

Wow!... I wake up this morning and everything started to change. :)

I second, third and fourth the "Just for fun" section. This should differentiate the realistic planes and the x-planes and anyone who do not care for the mad scientist products can be forewarned.

I don't think I like the proposal for a rating system for looks and for flight performance. What do you do when someone posts a replica of a flying machine from the 1900s which you know will not fly that well. If the rating system is changed then the flight performance meter should be refined to authenticity in flight characteristics instead.

Blade Scraper said:
O Yea Inky i have an exelent AV of your F-100D representing the Bob Violette Models F-100D with the weight of 28 pounds revised airfoils and a JC Titan Turbine,and of course the 85 O.Z Fuel tank,it needs flaps for take off and landing,it doesnt bounce alot on landings anymore.
Do i have permission to post it inky?
Please by all means post variants for any of my planes,i have no problems with that at all.

Please...--...Something...--... Please...--...

the way it is going. we eeeeee need a separate section in the Av area.

what if there were sections in the av area?

I could think of a few titles to add for some of the Av's being posted lately...

Hell. I hardly download anymore (though I am getting used to checking the ratings and by how many)

So ..... KE....... PLEASE (I for one feel that if there was a separation of some sort/s that this will improve the Image of Realflight..

PLEASE
... -- ...

Just want to put my word in ( a 14yr old) I have heard talk from a few other younger kids here and are disappointed in their maturity level. You talked about having a rating age, and although I could see how that would work, kids like me like to vote and back up our favorite planes. If there is a plane I really don't like, I just don't vote. That is a hard issue too correct. What about you have to have an AMA license? Because that way only experienced members vote??

Flyin C said:
Just want to put my word in ( a 14yr old) I have heard talk from a few other younger kids here and are disappointed in their maturity level. You talked about having a rating age, and although I could see how that would work, kids like me like to vote and back up our favorite planes. If there is a plane I really don't like, I just don't vote. That is a hard issue too correct. What about you have to have an AMA license? Because that way only experienced members vote??

Sounds like a good idea but it would never work. AMA is only here in the U.S. and there are flyer's from all over the world with different organizations like the AMA. Plus do you think KE wants to check everybody's AMA number? Does the AMA want to be associated with KE as far as verifying the AMA numbers?

There has to be a better way.

P.S. What if alot of the people making planes and good AV's don't have a AMA cert?
I'm sure there are alot of very experienced pilots that fly real and not real planes, that may or may not have AMA.

Last edited:
tnorton12000 said:
There has to be a better way.

There is. Replace ratings with comments. A number averaged out between several anonymous users with widely varied interests means nothing. If someone actually wants to take on board what others think of the planes a few words would be much more useful. Put a character limit (say 256 - that's plenty) and one comment per person.

Unfortunately it'd take work from KE staff to set up.

You said a mouthful, Sammy. That's a great idea, for those who care about what other people think about their work. It would force those lowball raters to be creative with their blasting. I'm sure they're up to the challenge, though.

Sammy Yousef said:
There is. Replace ratings with comments. A number averaged out between several anonymous users with widely varied interests means nothing. If someone actually wants to take on board what others think of the planes a few words would be much more useful. Put a character limit (say 256 - that's plenty) and one comment per person.

Unfortunately it'd take work from KE staff to set up.

ding ding ding... we have a winner!
i posted a plane, that would have been in the "just for fun" section, that had received a 1 rating as well. im not bothered by it but it is crappy for someone to put a 1 in there. i did spend a number of hours to get it just right.

an alternative... perhaps restricting voting rights to people that have not submitted their own craft?

unfortunately it seems we are all farting in the breeze (so to speak) when we offer our ideas, as Knife Edge really dosent seem to care... they have yet to post up.

camarojeff (sorry. i have a cra$$y keyboard again, cant get the tm up there)

also cant do a capital c or v ... dam $15au cheep keyboard.

NE Way.
I cant find your Av up there on the swaps... I would be interested in giving it a fair score.. and if you would like. I could offere what info experience i have to help build a Great craft) I just did the same offer for level trim with his Huey, I sugested to start a new thread, and I would be in it)

I do not vote. I have all the good planes that people spent a lot of time on to get "just right". All "10's". I get rid of the ones I don't like. Consider this rating system;

Excellent.

Fair.

Poor.

Experimental.

Failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back