Real flight Tutorial Video Repository

It worked fine for me. Maybe it is a difference in browsers or something. Firefox with W7 here.

Or another possibility is that it came right up in Quicktime for me. Maybe they don't have a media player associated with the file type.

I do have QuickTime installed, but perhaps it's not configured to playback files like that.

Same as before. (This is from Boof's direct link post 21.)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    87.2 KB · Views: 14
I think the concept works for all versions, but Scott or someone with more knowledge can confirm that.

I believe the tuts in post #36 are for altering spec. in max , for 6.5
to deal with the new lighting issues not found in earlier versions ....right boof?

With a few exceptions Spec was normally done with the _s.tga only until now (well Always for anyone else making a CS for someone else s model )
If you don't posses the 3dsmax file you're S.O.L. and cant use Max for spec.PERIOD
as the 3ds file is retained by the EA creator and almost never shared....(For good reason) , although I think jeff would let me have them ....but I'm still not sure I WANT them :p

Doing the _s.tga in Max gives more control than just a regular PS or Gimp generated _s.tga alone....With the new lighting in RF6.5 PS or Gimp generated _s.tgas don't have as much latitude in the RGB gray scale as they used to have in earlier versions , which equals less control ,even if you mess with the spec. alpha and the .colorscheme file
which will put a lot of people at a disadvantage (myself included)

So for all intents and purposes Specular Control just got reduced for those who the don't have the 3ds file or dont use or can't afford Max or are unwilling to learn max JUST for spec. (even if you have the 3ds file , you may as well just learn to model at that point)
but expect the quality of the CSs created by 3d modelers to get better as a result...at least on the specular side

Last edited:
Doing the _s.tga in Max gives more control than just a regular PS or Gimp generated _s.tga alone....
That's not true at all. What Ryan was saying in his tutorial is that they can transfer those values from Max to the .tga file. It seems that KE designers will set the gloss and specular in the material properties in Max for every object, even though they are all mapped and will be on the .tga. What they are doing is transferring those values to the .tga from Max. It's just a timesaver for them so that they can see how the model will look in RF before it ever leaves Max. You can have the same results that they do by doing everything on the .tga files without having Max generate them.

I think the tutorial posted by Ryan has caused some confusion. What was described was a process for baking a spec map in Max. For anyone who has checked out my baking an AO map will understand its the same thing just used for a spec map. This is in no way necessary. Its something KE obviously does but I don't and probably won't since making a spec map by hand will always be more detailed. Ryan's post also describes how to set specular and glossiness compared to values in Max. While that may be a nice thing to know its not a necessary thing.
Nothing has changed about the process of creating a spec map. The sensitivity of the spec map is greater is about all that has changed. Except that the reflection is smarter in 6,5. The darker the alpha of the space is the blurrier the reflections will be. In earlier versions darker alpha values would make reflection hazy only.
The above tutorial can be used for any version of Max that uses spec maps and no one needs the Max file to make the spec for an existing CS.

Back