RealFlight G3 graphics card support

Looks like Tower Hobbies have updated their tech notes …

LAPTOPS:
The RealFlight software has been run successfully on many laptops. Generally, laptops with the following video chipsets will run RealFlight adequately under most conditions:
Nvidia GeForce 5500 (or higher)
ATI Radeon 9600 (or higher)

For more information about laptop video and sound cards, as well
as any other laptop issues, please contact Great Planes Software
Support at (217) 398-8970, option #1 or rfsupport@greatplanes.com

jxs 9/21/04
ir/jxs
updt jxs 3/17/05#

BTW I think ATI Radeon Mobility is the name of a family of products, of which the 7500 Mobility is a member.

Last edited:
I am about to buy G3 and want to know how my pc should run it! This is my system: Pent 4 running 2.6 Gz 512 ram 9200 radeon. What do you think?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

the 9200 is on the list of cards tested but its one of the slowest.

I'd recommend you pick up a 9600 pro ($77) at least then you will not be looking at a slide show :)

I haven't had any problems with my pc yet....I run most games at the highest video settings, and they run fine. Do you guys think it will be fun at all the way my pc is right now??

get the most memory

My only regret is that I purchased the 128 instead of the 256 version for memory on the card.

Anyone use this:BFG GeForce 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP Graphics Card ? Thinking of upgrading to this....need some suggestions!

PNY Verto GeForce FX 5500 128MB Is this okay

I just purcase this at best buy will this thing work

PNY Verto GeForce FX 5500 128MB DDR AGP Graphics Card

Fx-5500

That card should work ok with G3. Thats the one i'm using. You just can't turn everything up all the way. Good luck and happy flying. Mines the PCI version but should work the same or better.

hamflyer

Does mine work?

I just ordered a new laptop with a 256MB ATI Radeon x600 video card. Does anyone know if this card will work for G3?

Thanks

Graphics Card Buyers Guide

To answer your question bighead93. I would not recommend the 6200.

For you whinners out there who say you don't know anything about graphics cards, FINE! Then take a few minutes and ask people who do know and then read up on it. See what is right for you and your uses! Don't just believe the first person you talk to.

Here is some good reading:

Graphics Card Buyers Guide

How much Graphics power do you need?

Review of EXTREMELY low end graphics cards

Spend some time before you spend some money. After all, that 30 mins you spent understanding your computer better may just be what saves you from a future headache.

Good flying!

siraragon said:
Anyone know about this card ? Looks like it would work OK with G3, nice price also.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1428445&CatId=0

SirA.

Siraragon,

Just be sure to check carefully into the performance statistics and reliabilility etc. of any card you check out. The more throughly you investigate, the less chance of you being dissappointed later. :)

I haven't checked out the stats for that 256mb agp3D card that your asking about.
But by just taking a fast look at it and its low price, I wouldn't be surprised at all that if after you took a while to check out some 128mb 8x agp 3D cards. That you'd be able to find a few or even more then a few that will actually be faster then that card. Of course the cost of those cards would most probably also be more.

You know the old saying, you get what you payed for. Usually holds true.

Also wanted to add. For anyone shopping for a 3D card. Check your cpu's manufacturers site to see if your computer has a 4x agp slot or a 8x agp slot or if it doesn't have one at all. If your computer has only a 4x agp slot, BUT you plan to purchase a new computer in the near future that has an 8x agp slot. Maybe purchasing a 8x agp slot type 3D card might be the better thing to do. If your computer only has a 4x agp slot and you use a 8x agp 3D card. The 3D card should still work, but it will only recognize that card as a 4x agp 3D card.
And who knows how long they will be making cpu's with 8x agp slots, maybe they might stop tomorrow, maybe never?
Also another type of 3D card besides the MUCH slower pci slot type of 3D cards that has come out, I believe is called a pci express 3D card. <check the net if you'd want to find out more about this type of 3D card. And computers with these types of slots for these types of 3D cards to the best of my knowledge should only be on "select few" and very recent computers.
Planning on purchasing a new computer? My suggestion>Stay away from any computer *desktop or laptop* that uses onboard video that can't be upgraded in any way to be able to have more video then what the cpu came with.
If you expect to run graphic intensive sims that are out now with being able to use decent resolutions and frame rate and some or most or all the goodies turned on. If you'd purchase a cpu that only could have a max 128mb's of video ram, I would would pretty much stay away from purchasing those types of computers, maybe a laptop that can handle only up to 128mb's might be passable. I myself actually would stay away from any cpu that couldn't be upgraded with a 256mb 8x agp 3D card.
PC Gaming Magazines come in real handy for information about computer setups, for running graphic intensive sims etc. They also have information about what computers manufacturer's might be cooking up in the future..etc.
But you of course should be able to find all the infromation you need on the internet.
Also of course don't forget to check the first post in this thread for the 3D cards that have been tested by KE and the numerous other threads in this disscusion board relating to 3D cards.

Adlai :)

Last edited:
4x AGP

Slider said:
Siraragon,
Also wanted to add. For anyone shopping for a 3D card. Check your cpu's manufacturers site to see if your computer has a 4x agp slot or a 8x agp slot

If your computer only has a 4x agp slot and you use a 8x agp 3D card. The 3D card should still work, but it will only recognize that card as a 4x agp 3D card.

Thanks I checked my motherboard manual and it only supports 4x AGP.
Oh well will keep looking for a good deal on a card in that range.
thanks again,
SirA.

Any experiecne with Radeon 9550?

The motherboard of the only computer I have that can run G3 died last night and will no longer POST. I've been looking at new motherboards, and want to get away from the craptastic Intel on-board video. Several price/feature compaarisons (and checking budget) I come across the Raeon 9550 card. This is not listed in the series of supported cards, but it is listed to support DirectX 9. Does this card work for G3 or will it just cause headaches?

ATI says:
http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9550/index.html

Pricing example:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0183843

Thank you.

Back