Realflight G5 ideas...

maxx2504 said:
Hi !

I wanna start this Thread for some Ideas to make the next Realflight Generation 5 better than ever...

maxx

I would put my idea in the “wish list” category. There are certainly other ideas which should take precedence over mine. I thought it would be nice to have people standing on the flight line as this action occurs in real life at my airfield and many others. I understand this is a sim; as software/hardware upgrades are made throughout the years, each of the improvements can collectively make it closer to the real thing. I think the introduction of people on the airfield would be fun, which is what this thread is about.

See you on the field (well, your airplane anyway!) :)

-Phil

Hey

The graphics could be improved. Im not a program designer but
what about using the same 3D engine as Half life.

Is that possible :)

Im new to this model flight sim. But could the depth view get any better. I often land right outside the landing field when im landing cause the feeling of depth is wrong.

LN-HE73 said:
Hey

The graphics could be improved. Im not a program designer but
what about using the same 3D engine as Half life.

Is that possible :)

No.

Licensing issues alone prevent such a thing.... which is why no one has done something like that before.

And that forgets the fact that the HL engine was never designed for flight or RC sims.

LN-HE73 said:
Hey
Im new to this model flight sim. But could the depth view get any better. I often land right outside the landing field when im landing cause the feeling of depth is wrong.

It's as good as it will get without using 3D glasses ( which BTW improves things greatly ).

Learn how to land the plane using visual cues, and don't rely upon depth perception.

This is an important ability to master for real life RC.

Some Timers would be nice
1. Timer for aircraft
2. Timer by button (competition training)

As I see the development of RF fom serious traing tool (G3) with just the neccessary for flight training to an arcade game with lots of unneccessary gimmicks (G4.5), I,d like to have a button: Serious Training / Arcade

Uwe Caspart said:
As I see the development of RF fom serious traing tool (G3) with just the neccessary for flight training to an arcade game with lots of unneccessary gimmicks (G4.5),
How has 4.5 become any less of a " serious traing tool" than G3 ??? by adding a few things?
None of 4.5's "training" ability's have been "diminished" since G3 !!
in fact....... I think the opposite is true! (I.E. better wind\physics models , difficulty settings , ground effects etc.)
but I do agree a timer would be nice
to keep track of both battery life and/or flight times

Last edited:
Here's my ideas and suggestions:

• DirectX 10 support or even DirectX 11 (though I highly doubt KE would go DX 11 for quite some time as it would presently cut off about 100% of their market haha.)
  • Better lighting(HDR maybe?)/shadows.
  • Better particle effects - make it so the aircraft have some influence on the particles so they can’t just go straight through the airframe. Also allow users to be able to adjust how much the prop/rotor wash effects smoke.
  • Improve collisions - Allow things to bend and distort as a result of a crash.
  • Possibly some form of HD technology to make Photofields appear clearer (Don’t ask me how though that’s really just a shot in the dark :D .)
  • Multi-Panoramic Photofields - allowing you to have multiple pilot spawns in a Photofield (AFPD has this so I’d guess they might have the rights to it.)
  • Better night flying - more realistic lighting effects and make them more customizable.
  • Ability to import custom props and rotor blades from KEX format.
  • Ability to import custom sounds and adjust and edit them within the aircraft editor.
  • Glider towing - Have 2 different types of anchoring points, one for a tow plane and one for a glider that you can move to the desired position on the aircraft in the aircraft editor. Also being able to change settings like the release servo and rope length in the aircraft editor. Make it so we can do glider towing over the multiplayer rather than just multi-mode…and maybe make it so you can use a recording of a tow plane to tow a glider up.
  • Speed controller component that’s separate from the motor settings with BEC and governor settings etc…
  • Ability to add counter balances to control surfaces (we can already do that by using moveable pods but that’s more of a workaround in my opinion.)
  • Fix the swash mixing/timing, paddles or whatever it is that’s causing helis roll off during loops and flips and also effecting most other manoeuvres.
  • Support for flexible objects such as cables dropped from winches on helis, various landing gear dampers etc…
  • Timer and lap counter for air races/pylon racing - have invisible barrier objects that you can add in the airport editor to airports. When you fly through them they work as a lap counter for the timer. Have the timer as a “Gadget” just like the radio, binoculars etc…then you can set the number of laps and the timer to count up or down. Also maybe allow this to work on the multiplayer with it in sync with other players.
  • More realistic weather - a live changing climate including rain and snow (you may ask “Why do we need rain and snow? I wouldn’t go flying in rain or snow!” my answer would be “You obviously haven’t been to England :D”.)
  • Ability to restart internal combustion engines.
  • Modular visual components - engines, servos, receivers, Li-pos etc…are all created and imported separately from the main airframe. These can then be added and adjusted to the airframe in the aircraft editor…a little bit like how you add different types of props to aircraft in G4.5 at the moment but with more customization for animated servos and such. This would allow people to customize the visual side of the equipment used in aircraft very easily. Though does add some complication because we’d really need to keep the old system of having the visual model of the engine, servos etc incorporated in the main airframe for the custom models that are presently on the swap pages.

Maj. Numbskully said:
I think RF teaches newbies some very bad "habits"

not only "newbies" but also advanced 3-D fliers like me...
i have forgotten to put my antenna up after not bieng out to the field for a little while on 2 occasions now (too bad the 300$ it cost me was not RF money)

i also spent half an hour trying to figure out why my engine wouldnt start... turns out i hadnt even put the glow on

Greg.B said:
Ability to restart internal combustion engines.

that would take the "realism" out of it...
i also would like snow and rain (never flown in snow [only seen it twice in my life] but rain is a different story)

apollo_13 said:
i also would like snow and rain (never flown in snow [only seen it twice in my life] but rain is a different story)
How would that take the realism out of it?
If the prop is fine, you can restart no problem.

I would like more realistic engine sounds.
I wanna hear the "FHWOOMP" the egnine makes when you go from straight and level to hovering.

apollo_13 said:
Okay I should have been a bit more specific about what I meant by that. Firstly I meant it would be nice to able to restart engines when the aircraft is stationary on the ground. Also it might be an idea to only have a designated area (in the pits) where you can restart engines. Just like a kind of invisible boundary box object that you can add to airports so that when your aircraft is inside the box and is stationary you can press a key to restart the engine.

I have flown in snow twice (once in the dark just to make things a bit more interesting :D.) I see adding snow as much more of a “nice to have” thing. However if they add rain it’s fairly easy to add snow particles too, the only difference with snow is obviously it gathering on the ground which is much more of a challenge to replicate…

jeffpn said:
How about a wife sitting in a chair reading a book, randomly nagging you that you've been there long enough? :confused: ;)

you mean the one currently in the kitchen nagging at you while your flying RF is not enough :eek: :D heck jest get her a lawn chair and a book less computer resource's needed

lrogers said:
I would like to see the timer. Since we have a Bergan Intrepid and gasser, how about a turbine?

Maybe there is a Bergen Turbine on it's way...you never know :p

I think anyone owning Realflight G4, or 4.5, should get to upgrade to G5. and not have to buy the whole thing again.

If not I'll buy Phoenix next time.

rcflyer_09 said:
I think anyone owning Realflight G4, or 4.5, should get to upgrade to G5. and not have to buy the whole thing again.

Not gonna happen. KE does deserve a paycheck, just like you.

rcflyer_09 said:

There is this thing, called "making money" that companies must do to stay afloat....

They've already given you a free upgrade to G4.5 and free add-ons.

Each major revision upgrade has had an associated cost for the end user, but the upgrade price is much lower than what normal purchasers must pay.

It is unrealistic to expect G5 to be a free upgrade, though there are always those who are quick to complain....

And now we get complaints even before the product is announced ( or maybe even being developed )!!!

Last edited:
Greg.B said:
Okay I should have been a bit more specific about what I meant by that. Firstly I meant it would be nice to able to restart engines when the aircraft is stationary on the ground. Also it might be an idea to only have a designated area (in the pits) where you can restart engines. Just like a kind of invisible boundary box object that you can add to airports so that when your aircraft is inside the box and is stationary you can press a key to restart the engine.

I have flown in snow twice (once in the dark just to make things a bit more interesting :D.) I see adding snow as much more of a “nice to have” thing. However if they add rain it’s fairly easy to add snow particles too, the only difference with snow is obviously it gathering on the ground which is much more of a challenge to replicate…

kk i see now about the restart idea

the snow would not be too hard to replicate...
just have a texture (like grass or dirt) but make it snow...every 2 sec (depending on how much snowfall there is) have the density change...this CAN be done now but you would have to change it manually...hmm this is very possible with just a little programming tweak (try 10100110110100100101011101111010 it should work :p :p :p )...i sure hope that knifeedge will try this (not the binary, the snow concept)

Back