Request RF6 Aircraft Here

I stumbled across this airplane and was immediately taken by its weirdness and complexity.

It's butt ugly and yet brutally handsome.
Butt ugly it is but the fish belly, contra-rotating props, and accordion wings are a sight.

If you and Norton dig up the info, I'll do it.

Doug

I will start digging it up tomorrow.

Here is a walk around of a fairly beat up one:http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/fairey_gannet_aew.3_xp226/index.php?Page=1

Also a PDF: http://aircraftdrawingsdownload.com/files/gannet.pdf

Some more detailed shots: http://www.thescale.info/news/publish/Fairey-Gannet-detail-photos.shtml

Wing fold pics: http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/faireygannetcloseupch_2.htm

A bit more: http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/gannet/walkaround.php

A interesting video about it's role and how tough it was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhZRVc9SS0M

Another walk around: http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/fairey_gannet_ecm.6/

Don't mind the bathtub hanging underneath, different version.

I'll get my stuff tomorrow.

Cheers.....

P.S. If anybody is interested, here is a slide show and video of Duxford in the UK I took. https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos

Attachments

• _DSC5218.jpg
    _DSC5218.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Deutscher-U-Boot-Jaeger-Fairey-Gannet-a22470367.jpg
    Deutscher-U-Boot-Jaeger-Fairey-Gannet-a22470367.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 7
  • fairey_gannet_ecm.6_09_of_36.jpg
    fairey_gannet_ecm.6_09_of_36.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 5
  • fairey_gannet_ecm.6_14_of_36.jpg
    fairey_gannet_ecm.6_14_of_36.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Rc Explorer Quadrone

Hi,

I have a request for the Rc Explorer Quadrone.

My requested specs are as follows:

Flight time should be around 15 min.

Must have a camera point built in where the actual one is and must be able to swivel. I'm thinking controlling the rotation with the knob and controlling the tilt with the 3 Pos switch.

Must be close to the specs of the real thing.

And most importantly, It must look cool :)

Here's the link to the build: http://rcexplorer.se/projects/2012/05/the-quadrone

Thanks,

Noah

Cool quad, folding arms and all that stuff, the guy is obviously a talented tinkerer.
Butt, after reading the designer's blog, gotta point out some obvious stuff:
You want these guys to build a quad of which only 5 were built, and you are requesting that it "Must be close to the specs of the real thing"?? :confused:

Unless you can cough up the drawings, dimensions, and all the necessary specs/weights.
Could probably tame your expectations a bit, these guys are not magicians.
You gotta do the hard work up front as pointed out to you in your past requests.

Butt ugly it is but the fish belly, contra-rotating props, and accordion wings are a sight.

If you and Norton dig up the info, I'll do it.

Doug

That's awesome Doug! :cool:

Sounds like Norton has a pretty good head start on the doc's. I will dig also but it may end up being redundant.

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• fairey-gannet-as-mk-1.gif
    fairey-gannet-as-mk-1.gif
    225.5 KB · Views: 2
  • dowty prop image[2].jpg
    dowty prop image[2].jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 6
  • gannet flap image.jpg
    gannet flap image.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 3
  • Gannet-XT752-500.jpg
    Gannet-XT752-500.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 025656.jpg
    025656.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 6
I'll start a new thread for the Fairey Gannet T5, so post anything else you find there. Don't worry about copying the stuff you already found, I'll snag that and put it in my build folder.

Doug

Cool quad, folding arms and all that stuff, the guy is obviously a talented tinkerer.
Butt, after reading the designer's blog, gotta point out some obvious stuff:
You want these guys to build a quad of which only 5 were built, and you are requesting that it "Must be close to the specs of the real thing"?? :confused:

Unless you can cough up the drawings, dimensions, and all the necessary specs/weights.
Could probably tame your expectations a bit, these guys are not magicians.
You gotta do the hard work up front as pointed out to you in your past requests.

Ok, then it doesn't need to be to specs. Whoever designs it can just go by looks.

I'll start a new thread for the Fairey Gannet T5, so post anything else you find there. Don't worry about copying the stuff you already found, I'll snag that and put it in my build folder.

Doug

Thanks Doug! :D

Durafly D.H.110 Sea Vixen EDF Jet w/Retracts 1000mm

Here is one that might generate some interest!!! May be able to transfer over some aspects of the Durafly Zephyr V-70 as far as the 70mm ducted fan:

http://youtu.be/Al4Ypy-Zsa8]

The DH.110 Sea Vixen was an all weather fighter/ground attack aircraft with a very distinctive and unusual cockpit arrangement, the pilot's cockpit being offset and the observer sitting in the infamous "coal hole" which was virtually blacked out and very cramped. The design actually dates back to the 1940's, which is pretty remarkable considering the fact that the DH.110 prototype was the first two seat aircraft to achieve supersonic flight. However, once re-designed for carrier landings, the new thick wing prevented the Sea Vixen from achieving supersonic flight despite the huge amount of power from the twin Rolls Royce engines.

The Sea Vixen is made from tough EPO foam and is beautifully finished with waterslide decals. As well as looking the part, it is easy to assemble and setup. Being Plug N Fly, the EDF unit, ESC, UBEC and servos are all pre-installed. The DH.110 is pre-fitted with superb, scale-slow servoless retracts featuring a metal trunnion and a very positive lock. This combined with the beefy struts and large wheels make this jet perfect for almost any field!

Jets are about performance and the Durafly Sea Vixen is no exception. It handles superbly, tracks well, offers a nice turn of speed at WOT and has excellent slow flight capability thanks to the massive amount of wing area. When you combine this performance with the real presence and ultra-scale detail, the end result is a brilliant model that will satisfy jet enthusiasts and scale pilots alike. The DH.110 even comes complete with optional high-detail drop tanks and ordnance.

Fast, stable, reliable, easy to fly and dripping in scale details, the Durafly Sea Vixen will be a real show stopper at any airfield!

Features:
Tough EPO Construction
High Detail Waterslide Decals
Power System and Servos Pre-Installed
Scale-Slow Servoless Retracts
Ultra-Scale Detail
Easy Assembly

Specs:
Wingspan: 1000mm
Length: 888mm (Not sure how they are measuring length but it seems as long if not longer than the wingspan - perhaps they are measuring the length of the fuselage pod not counting the tail booms???)
Flying Weight: 1500g
EDF: 70mm with 2950kv 2836 Brushless Outrunner Motor
ESC: 45A w/UBEC
Plug Type: XT60
Servo: 9g x 4
Retracts: Servoless Electronic Type

Includes:
All hardware
Optional drop tanks/ordnance
Instructions

Requires:
Your own 5~6 channel Transmitter/Receiver
3300mAh 4S lipoly battery (25c minimum)

Attachments

• seavixen-main.jpg
    seavixen-main.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 2
  • seavixen-sub1.jpg
    seavixen-sub1.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 2
  • seavixen-sub2.jpg
    seavixen-sub2.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 3
  • seavixen-sub3.jpg
    seavixen-sub3.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 1
  • seavixen-sub4.jpg
    seavixen-sub4.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
More Images

More Images

Attachments

• sea-v-2(2).jpg
    sea-v-2(2).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 3
  • sea-v-4(2).jpg
    sea-v-4(2).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 4
  • sea-v-3-2(2).jpg
    sea-v-3-2(2).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 3
  • sea-v-5(2).jpg
    sea-v-5(2).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2
  • sea-v-1(2).jpg
    sea-v-1(2).jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 3
Hello again talented designers! After seeing a show on the Discovery channel about this plane, and reading of a scratch build of a version of it, my interest was piqued and I humbly request a Martin Mars!

The Mars began development as the XPB2M-1 model with a tail-gunner and turrets; later models were redesigned to carry cargo and personnel, and most recently to fire fighting. The lone surviving Martin Mars is a JRM model, and it is this designation I would love to see in the sim.

Since this plane was quite massive, I think a larger-size model might be appropriate... check out the Piper Cub on the wing!

a4644406-161-XPBM%20Mars-%20Cub.jpg

These photos are linked from a build on RCgroups.com, and anyone interested in the plane's rich history can find a good read here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1597636

Here are some 3-views:

a4644443-133-Mars%20JRM%202%20Views.jpg

a4644444-142-Mars%20-JRM%203%20views.jpg

This is a sketch of the XPB model:

a4644383-158-XPB2M-1%20Side%20View%20Drawing%2001.jpg

A few more details:

a4644445-66-Mars%20JRM%20Equip.%20View.jpg

a4644446-140-Mars%20JRM%20Sketch.jpg

a4644447-76-Mars%20JRM%20Profiles.jpg

Detail of the canopy:

a4644460-127-Mars%20-JRM%20Cabin%20Escape.jpg

And a couple of real pics! This is the last flying Mars:

marslarge.jpg

Action shot:

bc-martin-mars1.jpg

Thanks for reading and if anyone is interested in the model, thank you in advance!

I humbly request a Martin Mars!
Nice request. I'm working on another one right now, or I'd consider it. In the meantime take a look at my Sunderland as it is very similar to the Mars. The plane was developed for an earlier version of RealFlight has a couple of linking errors in RF6, but it still flies well.

Doug

Help

Can anyone help an old guy out? I'm trying to get this color scheme on a Sbach 342 for G6. I tried using Gimps Users Guide, but it's way over my head.

I'd really appreciate any help.
Thanks Buck

Attachments

• Buck's Sbach.jpg
    Buck's Sbach.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 15
Doug, thank you for the recommendation! The Sunderland is indeed a quite similar plane, as is the Boeing 314 (based on your Sunderland!) that I also downloaded.

Pavelow even though I'm not a designer I may be able to answer that. RF has gravity and airflow modeled, as well as surface tension of water, but I don't think they have a fluid dynamics model that would allow for hull shapes, etc., and I don't believe a propellor under the water would function appropriately either. I think a flat-bottomed boat with a propellor in the air would function more realistically, and that's probably why they gave us one in that configuration.

Theoretically I believe a boat could be made whose model had a v-hull and appeared to have its propellor underwater, but for it to function properly the physics model would be still an airboat. Someone could make it LOOK right, but it would function about as well as the cars, trucks, and motorcycles that have been made for the sim.

I'm not an expert but from my many hours playing the sim, this is what it seems like to me. Amirite designers?

(Thank you again Doug!)

Back