RF Evolution Dx11 crashing when changing to custom Airport

SCOTT SALA

RF Evolution DX11 is crashing when I try to change my airport to RCDoski's "The canyon at sharks bay AP". I am able to download the file with no issues but when I try to change environment in Evolution, RF gives me an unexpected error message would I like to report it to Real FLight? and then Evolution shuts down. I am able to download and use the airport on RF 9.5 also on STEAM with no issues.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    90.3 KB · Views: 6
RF Evolution DX11 is crashing when I try to change my airport to RCDoski's "The canyon at sharks bay AP". I am able to download the file with no issues but when I try to change environment in Evolution, RF gives me an unexpected error message would I like to report it to Real FLight? and then Evolution shuts down. I am able to download and use the airport on RF 9.5 also on STEAM with no issues.
there is a know issue that boils down to the file name plus directory name being too long causing crashes (patched for airplanes to not crash). the character limit is approxamitely 140-145 I think. I dont have an issue loading the airport but my file name is 121 character. not sure if it is the issue. but it is my first thought.

C:\Users\Robert\Documents\RealFlight Evolution\Scenery\Airports\Rcdoski's The Canyon At Shark's Bay Airport AP.rfairport

FWIW I loaded the same file into RF 9.5 also on Steam, it loaded and worked with no problems?
Could this have something to do with DX11??
I have loaded and flown 2 other of RCDoski's flying sites into Evolution with no issues.

The file loads into Evolution no problem. It is when I change my flying field to that airport that it crashes.

I just downloaded & installed it. Here's a screen shot with the console visible:
shark.jpg
Note the missing files. Also, it looks washed out in my screen shot when I compare it to legoman's. Is that my video card or graphics settings? I'm running a GTX-960 at "highest" graphics settings. And I wonder why the patio set & Colosus are missing. It's a new import of the airport in a nearly brand new copy of EVO.

I just downloaded & installed it. Here's a screen shot with the console visible:
View attachment 137116
Note the missing files. Also, it looks washed out in my screen shot when I compare it to legoman's. Is that my video card or graphics settings? I'm running a GTX-960 at "highest" graphics settings. And I wonder why the patio set & Colosus are missing. It's a new import of the airport in a nearly brand new copy of EVO.

I have bloom turned off. If I turn it on I get what you see.

Air race patio set and Colossus likely are objects that got art updates and name changes or g2 Add-ons.

Canyon at Shark's bay works okay on my pc, I can switch between airports with no problem, but if I select Environment, Edit Airport, and exit to simulator, (without making any changes) RFE crashes every time.

Tested on RF9, does not promote the "Unexpected Error" message and system crash, when using the "Environment, Edit, Exit", procedure.
Frame rates low in RF9 and RFE, 70 - 80 fps.

A couple thoughts:
  1. @legoman may be on to something re: pathname length. The Documents subdirectory name for "RealFlight Evolution" is longer than "RealFlight 9", so may be enough to push it over the limit for some users and not others, depending on their Windows username length. As discussed here, we previously fixed a crash that occurred at import time, but there may be other ways that general restriction could manifest.
  2. You could be encountering this previously reported crash. We have a fix for that we hope to release in a beta this week.
  3. It could also be a completely separate thing!
I'll see if I can take a closer look myself. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that soon, though. I'm short on time before going on vacation for the next couple weeks (we'll still be monitoring the forums, so don't get any ideas 😜) with plenty of things yet to do...

Last edited:
FWIW I updated my Real Flight Evolution DX 11 to the new .079 Beta. The program is still crashing on startup. I also noticed there is no preview of the airport available when changing to this airport.

OK, thank you for that additional data. I'll see if I can look into this today, though I'm not sure if my schedule will allow.

In the meantime, it is theoretically possible that something went wrong during import and the airport ended up corrupted in a way that is causing the crash. I don't think this is likely, mind you; but as a shot in the dark it may be worth attempting to reimport the airport, choosing the "overwrite" option whenever prompted.

I just took a quick peek and it looks like the airport contains numerous custom objects, so I would suggest also deleting RealFlight's cached collision files. You can do that by navigating to <Documents>\RealFlight Evolution\Cache and deleting the Collision directory. This is perfectly safe. RealFlight will regenerate those files as needed. It will just make airport loads a little slower the next time while it does that. This is another thing that I'm not necessarily expecting to fix the issue but which is worth trying because it might and it is easy to do.

I did spend some time with this, and even using a quite lengthy path I did not experience any crashes. That, combined with the fact that so far nobody else has experienced the same problem, points more strongly toward something going wrong on your computer.

I suggest trying the two things I mentioned above--reimporting the airport and deleting the cached collision files--and seeing if that helps.

If the above does not help, a more drastic step would be to rename your entire "<Documents>\RealFlight Evolution" directory to something else. You can easily restore it later by deleting the new one that springs up in its place and renaming it back to that original name. Doing this will cause RealFlight to start from a completely clean, default state the next time you run. At that point you can run Evo, reimport that airport, and see if you still have problems or if it works correctly.

Hi Ryan,
Following your suggestions. I deleted, re-downloaded and re-installed the airport into Evolution. I then deleted the Cache and the Collision directory in my Real Flight Documents folder. I then restarted RF Evolution, and... the airport worked. No Crash. I'm thinking it was an issue with the cash and or the collision directory?
Thank you to Ryan and everyone who took the time to help figure out this issue for me.

Back