Rf6 == Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing to consider before getting all angry with each other is that it is possible for two users to experience different things.

This can be due to a bug in the software, an issue with a driver, hardware incompatibilties, or even to a misunderstanding over how the software functions.

Jim

Maj. Numbskully said:
Keep in mind jim
He's basing his opinions and assumptions on 5-10 minutes spent at an LHS kiosk :rolleyes:

Which also means he has no say in an argument he started. :rolleyes: :eek:

Maj. Numbskully said:
Keep in mind jim
He's basing his opinions and assumptions on 5-10 minutes spent at an LHS kiosk :rolleyes:

It's people like you who are combative here. I have said several times that I spent a good hour at the LHS tweaking and flying on the sim.

prototype3a said:
It's people like you who are combative here. I have said several times that I spent a good hour at the LHS tweaking and flying on the sim.

Which hobby store? I'd like to call them and make sure they have their machine configured correctly.

You can pm me the answer if you like.

Jim

ok .........an hour
I'm not being combative pointing out what you yourself have posted...yes you never said how long
So I based 5-10 min on the average LHS customer

Even though you spent an hour on it, your assumptions about RFs gravity simulation (pardon the pun).........fell way of the mark
.... so I have to ask myself
what else did you get/perceive as wrong ?

Hey guys, I am a newb and just picked up RF 5.5 last month and got the upgrade to RF6. I have never flown anything before and want to learn how to fly helicopters, and maybe some airplanes, over the winter so I can buy a real one in the spring and hopefully crash it less than otherwise.

Should I use version 5.5 or 6 to have the best chance of success? I really like the Bell 222 but that is probably so far away from what I will likely start with. What would be the best model (in the Sim or downloadable) comparable to a Blade 450 or similar?

Thanks for the help. :)

To have the best chance of success, you need to have an experienced piot with you when you start to fly your real aircraft. Which sim you pick for that purpose is largely irrelevant. Having said that, the biggest change in RF6 is improved heli physics.

Last edited:
And as we always tell prospective Heli Pilots... ALWAYS start with the larger helis in the sim and work your way down.

Larger helis in the sim, as in real life, are easier to control.

Start with the Dominion or any of the trainer nitro helis, get GOOD at them in the sim, then work down to the 400's and 450's....

Friends don't let friends fly blades

The only thing really comparable to the blade is buried deeply in the landfill. I suggest looking at TREX clones... you get a lot more for your money.

Adaptive said:
Should I use version 5.5 or 6 to have the best chance of success? I really like the Bell 222 but that is probably so far away from what I will likely start with. What would be the best model (in the Sim or downloadable) comparable to a Blade 450 or similar?

I would use 5.5 and this https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/8136 to get you close to the blade 450 size and performance wise until someone does the edit for it for 6. Opjose offers the same advice I do about starting large and working your way down in the sim. Budget and safety concerns usually prevent this approach in the real world. I also agree with nooner. Avoid cheap ready built helis if you can. By the time you replace all the cheap electronics to get a descent performing reliable heli, you could have had a very good one from the beginning for a little more.

Last edited:
td9cowboy said:
I would use 5.5 and this https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/8136 to get you close to to the blade 450 size and performance wise until someone does the edit for it for 6. Opjose offers the same advice I do about starting large and working your way down in the sim. Budget and safety concerns usually prevent this approach in the real world. I also agree with nooner. Avoid cheap ready built helis if you can. By the time you replace all the cheap electronics to get a descent performing reliable heli, you could have had a very good one from the beginning for a little more.

I've seen it work similarly with other people buying T-REX 450 clones. Though instead of the Align original being slightly more expensive the clone ends up being a couple hundred more in the long run. It depends what a person wants to do with a clone, but I remember a post on another forum and a person was bad mouthing people that bought Align. He said he bought a clone and replaced all the electronics and cheaply built parts, bearings, etc, and only had to pay around $1400.00 in the end, which he stated you clearly couldn't beat that price going way of Align. I spent $500 less than that guy while I had equal quality and higher quality upgrades on my T-REX 450 SE V2.

I don't get why people bad mouth Align prices in the first place. They are mid range in price. I guess they don't look at other brands than Align and clone knock-offs. If only they would look up MA, Beam, Logo, CY, etc.

Last edited:
Buying Name Brands.

If you are going to spend more for the Align clone, why do it? Align is great. I think beginners don't need the cost of the Align for a heli they are going to beat up. A less expensive clone is the way to go. You can put one together for A LOT LESS than Align.

By buying a clone with a carbon frame, and an all - aluminum head and tail, you will always do better than a plastic frame and plastic parts. I am not naming any names so I am not shilling.

Once you have proven yourself and learned to fly, buy the name brand stuff... by all means. In the beginning, you just don't need all the performance. Most of the heli is in the electronics anyway. I don't hear people raving about e-flite gyros.

Beginners don't need a flybarless setup either. It is a complete waste of money. Learn to fly first... then do what ever you want.

If you want to make your hobby expensive, fly real stuff and stuff it. If you want to fly helis, learn to fly on the sim, then transfer to the real world.

Last edited:
12oclockhigh said:
If you are going to spend more for the Align clone, why do it? Align is great. I think beginners don't need the cost of the Align for a heli they are going to beat up. A less expensive clone is the way to go. You can put one together for A LOT LESS than Align.

By buying a clone with a carbon frame, and an all - aluminum head and tail, you will always do better than a plastic frame and plastic parts. I am not naming any names so I am not shilling.

Once you have proven yourself and learned to fly, buy the name brand stuff... by all means. In the beginning, you just don't need all the performance. Most of the heli is in the electronics anyway. I don't hear people raving about e-flite gyros.

Beginners don't need a flybarless setup either. It is a complete waste of money. Learn to fly first... then do what ever you want.

If you want to make your hobby expensive, fly real stuff and stuff it. If you want to fly helis, learn to fly on the sim, then transfer to the real world.

I'll say there are plenty of cheaper alternatives on the market than Align like the Blade 400 and Esky Belt CP for example which don't copy Aligns designs at all. I have nothing against the people that fly the clones, I know money is tight for most people including myself.

I just personally don't feel Align's prices are out of line just because the clones sell for so much cheaper. Align spent all the money on advertising, research and development, and paid their engineers a lot of money to develop a solid product. Then a clone manufacturer comes along and traces measurements and slaps something out on the market for a fraction of the cost. I learned to fly on the Belt CP and did it initially without a sim, so I understand crash costs quite well.

It just always bothers me when people bash Align because their prices are so much more than the clones. By the way, I'm not implying you are bashing Align 12oclock. I just like to bring up this view because I have seen entire threads dedicated on trash talking Align because of their high prices. Compared to the previously mentioned brands, Align is a cheaper product than many other name brands on the market. I just don't see the threads out there bashing Curtis Youngblood for his Rave 450 being the price it is, or that the Furion 450 is way too expensive in a Furion 450 clone thread. I've never seen a clone of the Furion 450.

*edited to point this out to 12oclockhigh:
You seriously don't hear people mentioning their love for cyclic servos burning up in flight? Whatever 12oclock. You are crazy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back