Su-26 build

Check out the "How to make your own models" thread for a start.

I hit that link. Then hit the "Useful Links" and found that 70% of those links are dead.

I just wanted to know the name(s) of the software. I owned a website design, graphic design & corporate identity logo company once upon a time. I have discs and discs of industry grade software including some 3D stuff. That's why i just wanted to know the software so i can compare and see if I have anything similar.

Thanks.

If you have 3D Studio Max, it will do everything you need (even the free student version). Many of us, however, use Wings3D (a open source free program) for primary modeling and then switch to 3D Studio for the linking, mapping, and pivot points.

While 3D Studio can do all of the modeling steps, it is like trying to take a sip of water from a fire hose. Models for RealFlight use only about 5% of the program's capabilities. Wings is better suited to the low-poly modeling that RF uses - quick & dirty.

Your other option is Blender - also free and has plug-ins for all needed steps, but has a user interface designed by a spastic monkey.

Lastly you need a paint program. Gimp is free, but Photo Shop or Paint Shop Pro are also options.

I hit that link. Then hit the "Useful Links" and found that 70% of those links are dead.

I just wanted to know the name(s) of the software. I owned a website design, graphic design & corporate identity logo company once upon a time. I have discs and discs of industry grade software including some 3D stuff. That's why i just wanted to know the software so i can compare and see if I have anything similar.

Thanks.

Doug and I model in wings 3D, others use 3ds max student edition or blender. You must use max or blender to pivot, parent, and export the kex file. Blender is more complicated in the methods used, so most, if not all current modelers, use max for the export.

BTW Doug, You think Im a little over-powered?:p:D:p:D:p

Attachments

• ScreenShot037.jpg
    ScreenShot037.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 15
Love it. What scale were you using to begin with? As the motor is 12.6" wide and is modeled at 1:1.

I was real small to begin with. Typically, Ill start the build with whatever size the 3 views come in as. Ive found in the past (but not always) that scaling up the views can actually start to pixelate the edges to the point where its hard to manage. Once I get the fuselage and wings to my likings, Ill scale uniform everything to the correct size.

Ive got the motor somewhat situated in the cowl for now. The pipes were way too big, so they had to be down sized quite a bit. This is just a rough placement though. Not much time to play tonight.

Attachments

• ScreenShot038.jpg
    ScreenShot038.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 27
  • ScreenShot039.jpg
    ScreenShot039.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 23
If you have 3D Studio Max, it will do everything you need (even the free student version). Many of us, however, use Wings3D (a open source free program) for primary modeling and then switch to 3D Studio for the linking, mapping, and pivot points.

While 3D Studio can do all of the modeling steps, it is like trying to take a sip of water from a fire hose. Models for RealFlight use only about 5% of the program's capabilities. Wings is better suited to the low-poly modeling that RF uses - quick & dirty.

Your other option is Blender - also free and has plug-ins for all needed steps, but has a user interface designed by a spastic monkey.

Lastly you need a paint program. Gimp is free, but Photo Shop or Paint Shop Pro are also options.

I'll grab studio & wings. I have a monster PS set-up so i am good there. Thanks much.
I have NO intentions of actually making airplanes, I just like to tinker in my spare time with that kind of stuff.

I was real small to begin with. Typically, Ill start the build with whatever size the 3 views come in as. Ive found in the past (but not always) that scaling up the views can actually start to pixelate the edges to the point where its hard to manage. Once I get the fuselage and wings to my likings, Ill scale uniform everything to the correct size.

Ive got the motor somewhat situated in the cowl for now. The pipes were way too big, so they had to be down sized quite a bit. This is just a rough placement though. Not much time to play tonight.

Amazing. Can't wait to see the finished product.
For what it's worth, I may be able to grab the requested photos next Tuesday. I'll be over there anyway and i may have time to dig her out, assemble her and snap the images.

Amazing. Can't wait to see the finished product.
For what it's worth, I may be able to grab the requested photos next Tuesday. I'll be over there anyway and i may have time to dig her out, assemble her and snap the images.

Just grab some shots of anything internal under the canopy. I think I've got everything I need for now, would just like to see the internals to see if I'm interested in (or even able) doing the internals.

Just a small progress report. 1208 polys involved so far.

Hey Abaser, I'd like to ask how did you do the cockpit like that? Do you have any suggestions and tips? I'm having lots of frustrating problems making them like that and usually use black cockpits, it'd be great if you can share with us some of your wisdom! :)

Are you talking about the deck underneath? That's simple. You just create the geometry outlining where you want the canopy border and loop cut it off. You'll have to define smoothing groups (hard edges) in the corners for the deck, and Ill hole the underside of the canopy cutout.

Attachments

• ScreenShot040.jpg
    ScreenShot040.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 9
  • ScreenShot041.jpg
    ScreenShot041.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 11
Just grab some shots of anything internal under the canopy. I think I've got everything I need for now, would just like to see the internals to see if I'm interested in (or even able) doing the internals.

Taz, here is a link to show what I would do if I did the internals. This might give you an idea of what type of pictures I'd need in order to achieve that. Many angles needed in order to get wire routing right, and so nothing gets left out. This all will depend on overall poly count though. If I have enough, there a good chance I'll do it. If not, no choice but leave it out.

https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=232250&postcount=72

Only had about 30 minutes for this tonight, so I knocked out the V stab and rudder rough shape. 8135 polys including Dougs motor and accessories.

Attachments

• ScreenShot049.jpg
    ScreenShot049.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 16
Thanks FE.

Time for surface beveling and gear. 8899 polys. It may not seem like it to anyone else, but this one is going rather quickly for a change. Ive only got about 3 hours total so far, and 1.5 of that was on the cowl vents.

Attachments

• ScreenShot055.jpg
    ScreenShot055.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 12
looking good ...
btw andy ....
every time I look at that model that you used as an example of internals for taz ........
my jaw still drops ;):eek:.....I love that model.....

Last edited:
looking good ...
btw andy ....
every time I look at that model that you used as an example of internals for taz ........
my jaw still drops ;):eek:.....I love that model.....

Thanks. That's my pride and joy for sure. Hopefully, Jose can get the physics finished soon. I'd love to get her on the swaps, but I want it right.

Speaking of Jose, anyone seen him around here lately?

Back