Super Sportster 120

Not exactly a CS just an edit of the materials file in the vehicles folder.
Open the .mat file and change the specular level, you had 0.07525, I changed it to0.97525 as you can see in the pictures. Make sure to switch to another aircraft and switch back to the Super Sportster for the changes to take effect.
I play with the specular level numbers to get a shine on imported models, for instance, if I change the Super Sportster from 0.07525 to 0.57525 it looks better (not so dull, you know what RF-X does to imports)

Attachments

• Materials.jpg
    Materials.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 9
  • Materials-1.jpg
    Materials-1.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 9
Open the .mat file and change the specular level, you had 0.07525, I changed it to0.97525 as you can see in the pictures. Make sure to switch to another aircraft and switch back to the Super Sportster for the changes to take effect.
I play with the specular level numbers to get a shine on imported models, for instance, if I change the Super Sportster from 0.07525 to 0.57525 it looks better (not so dull, you know what RF-X does to imports)
Thanks I'll look at that. And making RF-X add-in panes look better is a good thing. Thanks for the tip

Since I was away for quite some time, RF X is kind of Greek to me. I looked, but don’t see a swap category for it, at least not on my phone. It’s clear you can import models, but can you not edit CS’s and such as you can other RF versions? Don’t get me wrong, I like what you’ve done by editing files and all, but I wouldn’t know where to begin doing so. I guess what I’m really asking is, is there a reason behind editing the files as you are over editing a tga file?

Since I was away for quite some time, RF X is kind of Greek to me. I looked, but don’t see a swap category for it, at least not on my phone. It’s clear you can import models, but can you not edit CS’s and such as you can other RF versions? Don’t get me wrong, I like what you’ve done by editing files and all, but I wouldn’t know where to begin doing so. I guess what I’m really asking is, is there a reason behind editing the files as you are over editing a tga file?
I'll let ASJ answer this but I thought I'd share a comment or two. Yes RF-X doesn't have the ability to do a CS in the normal way but you can go to the planes directory and edit the TGA files to change to a new CS. But of course that's a behind the scenes way of doing it. One of the problems with RF-X is when you import a plane from the swap pages it looks very dull compared to the same plane in the older versions and not as crisp looking. But it is possible to edit the materials file and get more shine on the plane than using the normal TGA files. I got a PM from Ryan Douglas once to a question about RF-X looking duller than the other versions and he said for some programming issues they had a "cap" on the spec map values so if you went above that value the program itself capped the value. He didn't explain it beyond that just that there were issues in the new engine that required them to do that. I always thought that was a first pass thing they'd fix later in an update but then RF-X got dumped so there wasn't any fix for it. You have to see RF-X in person to see how good it is the movies of RF-X doesn't do it justice. I have several movies that show RF-X in a pretty good light I uploaded to YouTube here's links to them.

RF-X Fly With Me - Monte Vista

RF-X Fly With Me - Ashe Peak

RF-X Fly With Me - Flight School

Last edited:
Is there a reason behind me editing the tga's, short answer... no, I am just testing the results of different tools in RF-X and sharing the outcome.
Yes you can apply all color schemes to models in RF-X, it is just not as easy as hit the import button.
It is also possible to change airport building colors and even color the brown desert grass that RF-X used prior to the Wright Island update.
Have look at the 2 videos, aircraft is Abaser's 40% Pitts Challenger with a Yellow CS.
1st. video is Homestead Airport all original.
2nd. video is where I added some color to the buildings and made the grass green.

Last edited:
Back