Super Sportwin Build

They both rotate in the same direction. Not to mention I have not been able to find an APC-E 9x9 pusher prop. This, to me, would be required. If it does not exist why put it in a SIMULATOR. They do rotate counter clockwise already. I just need to mess with the back torque factor.

Gas and glow reverse starts are easy... reverse the polarity of your starter motor. Those engines will run in the backwards direction. I think even the radials will.

Since when?

My nitros kick back every once and a while, and start running backwards, but once i touch the throttle, the either die, or sputter a little and switch direction, they dont usually like to run backwards.

run backwards

Super Tigers motors would run backwards if you rotated front plate of the motor (and the carb) 90°. If I remember correctly, you could then use a normal prop instalied backwards.

Ok, so I tried to max out the back torque factor and got bubkus on the ground. hehehe-- I did try putting those scorpion motors in and 10x10 props... sheeeoooot. can we say 120mph level flight please?

Had some time so I played with this one. I put in some differential. I noticed on a quick roll there was still a strong tendency to drop a lot of altitude. Differential quickly solved that. I also added some servo mixers. I made the ailerons flaperons. With the low-lift airfoil you really have to land it hot. This gives more slow-down and also lift and the slower speeds to land a little more controlled especially on a non-paved runway.

This model looks like it will be a lot of fun. Will patiently wait for it to hit the download list. Thanks in advance.

Eric

Interesting comment.... I have not used any aileron differential in a very long time. Generally, I like to fly the aerobatic birds of Walter Extra ilk so this may not be an issue on my type of birds. The tendency you describe, I think would be best compensated with proper elevator and rudder usage. When I first started flying, it was point nose up, quickly complete roll. 2nd stage was to roll and push elevator stick while inverted. Now anytime I roll, I use rudder, elevator and opposite rudder for both slow and fast rolls. I would never consider differential at this point... comments?

willsonman said:
Had some time so I played with this one. I put in some differential. I noticed on a quick roll there was still a strong tendency to drop a lot of altitude. Differential quickly solved that. I also added some servo mixers. I made the ailerons flaperons. With the low-lift airfoil you really have to land it hot. This gives more slow-down and also lift and the slower speeds to land a little more controlled especially on a non-paved runway.

Wing location on the fuse, as how it relates to the thrust line, is what determines whether or not a plane should have deferential or not. The Extra 260, the late model Yaks, the Yaktras, all have the wing just below the thrust line. These planes normally will not be using deferential. The Extra 300 and 300S versions have the wing lower, which require some deferential to help the plane roll closer to the center axes. Without deferential, these planes roll as though they are rolling around a dowel. You can best see it when rolling straight up, no inputs other than ail. The lower the wing location on the fuse, the more dihedral is required to get the plane to track straight in knife edge.
The most optimum designs come from pattern planes, which have no dihedral, no deferential, and have the wing very close to the thrust line.

I too use this method while flying and sport planes typically do not use differential. For those who are not as well-trained on this technique it is very helpful. When I make a physics model I typically do what is right first. Then I add in other things that are not outside the realm of realistic but are helpful modifications for the first-time flyer. Sort of a parkzone philosophy. They sell planes because any idiot can fly them. Swap pages are that way too. if a person who does not know this technique will give a bad (inaccurate) rating because they see something that is outside of what they expect. Then as they learn they can make changes to the physics. The flaperons are the same thing. landing a plane hot is much more difficult than a slow one. With what little lift the airfoil is providing I felt this was a necessity.

Ok, So Dane is busy with life and has passed things off to me for some finishing touches. I've mapped the outrunners and finished the CS in that area. See the picture. I've not heard anything from the designer or prototype builder yet but I think the plane is 95% ready for the swaps. I want to play with the rudder setup and see if something makes a difference. Sometimes you have to trick the physics in RF to get it to do what it actually does. most of the time things are right on.

Attachments

• SST1.jpg
    SST1.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 38
The plans I sent PPlace were just the small print of them in the Model Aviation Mag. They are copyrighted so sending you the digital scan of full-size plans would be illegal anyway.

Back