Super Sportwin Build

Thanks guys,

Tonight I:
~Broke it down & organized all the different components of the project
~"Holed" hidden faces to save on some polys
~Named all the components
~Created the Collision Meshes

I can not think of anything else that I need to do before export to Max. From there I will do the bare minimum in order to import into G4.5 with a simple solid .TGA just to check over the visual mesh / surface of the project. If any errors glare at me I'll do a quick touch up of said area and try again.

willsonman said:
Awesome. email me an EA and I'll get started on the physics.

That's the plan! As soon as I get a viable working EA it'll be sent off to you while I start the mapping process.....inside and out.

Quick question:

I've never dealt with having any misc. items break off of the planes I've modeled in the past (besides the norm: wings, gear, tail, etc.)

I know that any object you want "involved" in the sim has to have the ~CS naming. Willsonman also verified for me that any object that you want to break off has to have it's own ~CS_COLL as well.

So if I want the top battery hatches (top half of the nacelles) to break off in a crash (to expose the internal structure, motor, battery) what is the best method for accomplishing this consistently in the sim?

To simplify my explination lets just say my nacelle collison meshes are plain rectangles. SHOULD I notch out the nacelle collision mesh and "fit" the hatch collision mesh down in the notch? Or can I just add another simple rectangle for the hatch, and have it inside the nacelle collision mesh?

I suspect when I (or willsonman) sets up the physics in the editor we would just set the strenght value really low, so it is prone to falling off in a crash?

On the McFoamy, the battery CMesh has a toothpick like protrusion that extends in front of the prop. The fact that it goes through the fuse CMesh to get there doesn't matter. The battery CMesh is the first thing to hit the ground in a nose in crash, so it pops off from under the wing.

I have used this on three of my foamies, the Mcfoamie, and on one of the wood planes I modeled.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 13
Thanks guys, I took your advice and made the hatch COLL meshes with the small protrusion sticking out near the tip of the spinner. Unfortunately that's all I accomplished tonight relating to G4.5 modeling.

Tonight was a productive night for me! I finally imported the file from Wings3D into Max. I added a quick / solid .TGA and linked minimal COLL meshes in order to import into G4.5.

I thought the visual model looked just fine (there are a couple very minor "surface shadows" but I really don't think I'll mess with them.....we'll see) So I went back to max and did all the hierarchy of all objects including COLL meshes, figured I might as well add the pivots while I was at it to.

After another import into G4.5 I set up a VERY rough physics model of it. Just enough to test that everything was working properly (ailerons, elevators, rudder, spinners / throttles, etc.) Everything was going so smoothly I decided once again to go back to Max and define all the NUP values for the retracts as well as the gear doors.

Tweaked the physics model just a bit more (enough so I could play / fly with the model a bit tonight) I also crashed and tested to see if the battery hatch method works....It did! (Thanks guys)

Now if willsonman is still interested I'll share the EA with him and he can set the physics up with all the real life data he gathered from the original designer of the plane?!?

While he is doing that I'll start the task of mapping and CS work. Luckily the exterior CS is pretty plain / simple. The portion that will take the time is sorting out all the internal structure and adding the proper balsa grains to the different areas.

Attachments

• SST (21).jpg
    SST (21).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 11
  • SST (22).jpg
    SST (22).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 9
  • SST (23).jpg
    SST (23).jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 15
  • SST (24).jpg
    SST (24).jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 14
  • SST (25).jpg
    SST (25).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 11
I'm ready. Dont go too nuts. The this was covered with monokote and that stuff leaves nothing in terms of balsa grain behind. Even the wings are foam core with balsa over top so not even a bump map would be useful there. She is pretty plane jane but have fun with it! maybe add some wrinkles to reflect my monokote skills. I'm terrible at it. Solartex is totally different.

Alright I'll send you the file! The balsa I'm referring to is all the internal structure of the nacelles, inside the battery hatches, gear doors, etc. Not the exterior surface that would be covered by monokote.

Did some mapping today along with roughing in most of the colorscheme. Really simple CS on the real plane, so that makes my job easy here. The stripes on the nacelles are just rouged in (need some fine tuning) as well as the pinstripe around them. I think I'm going to make the pinstripe on the wings just a tad thicker as well.

I've also begun to add the balsa on the internal structure of the nacelles.

I'll be curious to fly this when willsonman has set it up according to the real life information he gathered for it. Right now (as I have it set up generically) it's a real screamer and fun to fly....it's fast, and I think willsonman said he'd make it "hot" as well when he's finished with it!

Attachments

• SST (26).jpg
    SST (26).jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 18
  • SST (27).jpg
    SST (27).jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 13
  • SST (28).jpg
    SST (28).jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 20
  • SST (29).jpg
    SST (29).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 13
Does anyone happen to know what font this is? I'll download the font (or one close to it) and re-create the lettering on the wing.

Thanks

Edit: I know I could "pull" the lettering off that pic and use that after a little working / tweaking.....but If possible I'd like to just find the original font to create it myself.

Attachments

• P3070550.jpg
    P3070550.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 20
Looks like you could get away wih the font I'm using in my tutorial. If you think so, I'll tell you wha it is when I get home.

My wife has a "habit" of being able to identify fonts EVERYWHERE. I sent her a link to that picture so she can have a look.

The physics are very much close to done. A few tweaking questions have been posted to the designer. Once dialed in right she will be great. Already she is flying around 80mph level and 95+ on a dive. Not bad for a model its size. This is with the stock power 10s and 9x9 props as recommended.

Hope this will work for you pplace.

Attachments

• sporttwin.png
    sporttwin.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 11
  • SportTwin.zip.rfx
    32.3 KB · Views: 2
Boof69 said:
Hope this will work for you pplace.

Thanks Boof it looks great! I'll open it up when I get home, but see no reason that won't work! Uh.....I might need to ask you to do the SST on the other wing as well so they match. I believe it's all caps, but I don't have my reference pics on this computer so I can't be 100% sure.

I dont think this has to be 100% accurate as the text was hand cut. ie... no font specified. So, I would say clip out the S and the T from the above pic and piece it together.

Back