The last model the swaps will see from me.

Thanks MR and I will continue to help of coarse. Thanks.:) I take it the surgery went well?

I'm back home at this point. I feel like I got kicked hard in the throat a few times and swallowing is pretty painful but the impression I have is that I'm actually recovering a bit faster than expected given what they ended up doing.

The surgeon is pretty optimistic he got the cancer. Biopsy results come mid week. Then we go from there.

This is a great PM

This is the PM I received from Johnathan7x70.....

dear boof,

you are such a child. I really liked your goblin and even got a friend to buy a sim just to use your Goblin. I am a sponsored pilot here in Louisiana. I could have promoted the heck out of your work. I could have helped you get the most downloads ever on a sim.

I made a new color scheme and you gave a rating of 1. Poor choice my friend. I am new to painting and im sure it will only get better.... I could have promoted your aircraft but I dont see the reason. You could have rated me as a 5 for nice but not great but you gave a 1 only because your taking things to personal.

I have not much to loose with my files or my name on here being that I have so few... you have much more to loose being that you lack of compassion towards others is obviously only selfish of your own best interest.

you will only receive bad rep from me for every aircraft you make unless you take back your original rating to a fair rating and I will take back all mine and any more for the future.

Jonathan

This was my reply.

I'm sorry that you took my honest ratings as being childish. The swaps have become a dumpster for people like you who post less than lackluster files one after the other. I spend plenty of time creating content of quality for all to enjoy. You scribble on someone else's color scheme and think it's worthy of posting. You posted 12 files in as many hours. Accomplishing nothing but burying quality files. Look at your ratings now friend. I am not the only to see your files for what they are .025s but I'm forced to give you a 1. I will give a fair rating if you simply spend some time to do some original rate worthy files. I have nothing against you but you immense lack of effort.
Trying to blackmail me into giving you a better rating is a sad attempt. I wasn't being malicious, but reading your PM it's obvious you were. You liked my model but because you got a low rating you rated me like a child. Grow up sir and try harder. -Scott

Boof: I would consider joining you in a moderated swap file page on the designers corner, but to be honest it would be a pretty hollow offer. You create content at the rate probably 10x faster than I do. And frankly the file I'm currently working on would never be a big download # anyway just like the FE2b isn't.

I've kind of got mixed feelings on the whole thing. I really loathe the way the current swap pages work. But I'm a little reluctant to cut loose from it all together. If I was convinced that going a moderated swap page in the designers corner would force KnifeEdge to actually make a substantive change, I would be with you in a heartbeat as a temporary measure. And truth be known, I would gain far more by doing so than I would lose as long as you posted to it.

MR, I feel much the same way. There is no fixing the swap page ratings system. We did unite before, and got KE to address our suggestion of requiring names on all ratings. They said the only way to do that is to show names on previously rated files. They said that would be unfair to those who thought they'd remain anonymous. I think if all posts require names, anything else should require names, too, like ratings. Maybe I should push for anonymous uploads?

MR, I feel much the same way. There is no fixing the swap page ratings system. We did unite before, and got KE to address our suggestion of requiring names on all ratings. They said the only way to do that is to show names on previously rated files. They said that would be unfair to those who thought they'd remain anonymous. I think if all posts require names, anything else should require names, too, like ratings. Maybe I should push for anonymous uploads?

I really wish they had gone with the route of requiring names. But short of that, I wish they would just allow us to opt not to get rated. If they made that available, it is how I would post what little content I put out compared to the rest of you guys.

That is a point, but if anything its for the better, Im sure anyone whos rated files honestly would not have an issue.

Then the issue with retaliation ratings like boof would arise and will require a moderator of some sort to keep everyone happy.

The beauty of a required name (a suggestion I made early on in a previous thread on this) is that it makes obvious what is going on. And it isn't all about getting 10s. If someone decides they are going to rate the run of the mill stuff 5s and occasionally give an exceptional model an 8, anybody can see how they rate stuff and with time, it will be obvious the 8 from that person is a high compliment.

Anyway, I think this is only part of Boof's disgust with the current swap pages. I know for sure it is only part of my disgust. Someone pushes out a bunch of 1 hour hack trash and it quickly buries the gold under a flood of nonsense. This problem is most acute with the AVs and CSs, not the EAs.

That's because it takes time to make an EA. Even I could do a flood fill in about 5 minutes.

This I'll say: if us EA contributors are serious about getting names on ratings (which is the most perfect system one could reasonably expect), I'm in. Under the condition that we're all in. We could strike. No EAs until it's fixed. I would guess it would have to work. Any interest?

This I'll say: if us EA contributors are serious about getting names on ratings (which is the most perfect system one could reasonably expect), I'm in. Under the condition that we're all in. We could strike. No EAs until it's fixed. I would guess it would have to work. Any interest?

I don't think they would cave. And that is essentially what Boof is suggesting with a swap page in the designers corner.

BTW - as an aside, I have been flying your and Numbskellys Art-Tech Diamond 2500 Pro. I love it.

I really don't care one way or the other about ratings. Whether it gets fixed or not doesn't matter to me. But there are a few modelers who would like to see a change, and I'd be willing to do my part. The swap pages are a real asset to RF, and I think active contributors of worthwhile files should be a priority to KE

I don't think they would cave. And that is essentially what Boof is suggesting with a swap page in the designers corner.

BTW - as an aside, I have been flying your and Numbskellys Art-Tech Diamond 2500 Pro. I love it.
Thanks.

As far as a thread for EAs, I'll pass. I've seen too many threads deleted by multiple individuals to trust anybody. People get mad, and threads disappear. Boof has done it, flex has done it, thegibson has done it. Mikey deleted a good thread with screenshots in it. I'm sure there's more.

I'd feel more comfortable posting a final EA in my own build thread, but I like to see download counts. I don't think view counts in threads are accurate

I really don't care one way or the other about ratings. Whether it gets fixed or not doesn't matter to me. But there are a few modelers who would like to see a change, and I'd be willing to do my part. The swap pages are a real asset to RF, and I think active contributors of worthwhile files should be a priority to KE

The reason I don't think we have any real leverage is that so many other models are already out there compared to what is being produced.

And many of the older models work just fine in RF6 with minor or no tweeks.

And I have to also say, that as a company it wouldn't sit very well with me to have users trying to dictate our policy. They might cave anyway if they decided that to not do so would affect there bottom line. But in this case at this point, that is unlikely.

I can't even get acknowledgement from them on a clear bug in the import system.

Ah well, I love this program despite the warts.

Last edited:
Thanks.

As far as a thread for EAs, I'll pass. I've seen too many threads deleted by multiple individuals to trust anybody. People get mad, and threads disappear. Boof has done it, flex has done it, thegibson has done it. Mikey deleted a good thread with screenshots in it. I'm sure there's more.

I'd feel more comfortable posting a final EA in my own build thread, but I like to see download counts. I don't think view counts in threads are accurate

I'm almost positive view counts in threads are not accurate in the short term. In the longer terms, they may be accurate.

It is an inconsistency that one can anonymously rate. You can't do anything else in the forums anonymously. (I'm not talking downloading swap files, thats not my point.) You can't start a thread or make a post anonymously. You can't vote in a poll anonymously if it's set up that way. You can't upload content anonymously. Yet you can piss somebody off anonymously who do care about ratings. It's inconsistent.

I do think a work stoppage could affect a change. No more EAs? No more filled requests? I think it could work.

I also must say having all ratings identified isn't too much of a dictation of KE policy.

Last edited:
Thanks.

To be clear I deleted one thread and it was but a rant thread. It didn't involve anyone's hard work. I wouldn't delete a thread like that. I'm up for a strike but that's obvious by now.

Back