Trident Redux

Did I try the Trident in RF-X.
Cool video, thanks !

It's interesting how the two stands that are knocked down and dragged by the plane is "inside" the leading edge of the wing. I would have thought the wing collision mesh would have kept it outside of the leasing edge. I guess it's how the two stands collision mesh is made that causes that.

Last edited:
Yes, it is strange how the light stands cut into the wings, but not a problem when I collected them with the leading edge of the wing and pushed them over, those lights get a lot of abuse, I love knocking them over with the skids of a heli.

Cool video, thanks !

It's interesting how the two stands that are knocked down and dragged by the plane is "inside" the leading edge of the wing. I would have thought the wing collision mesh would have kept it outside of the leasing edge. I guess it's how the two stands collision mesh is made that causes that.
I guess they did not put a collision mesh on each blade of grass or flower, see how the plants protrude through the fuselage and wings, makes it look like the aircraft was parked in that place and plants just grew up through it. !!!

Attachments

• Big Bipe.jpg
    Big Bipe.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 11
I guess they did not put a collision mesh on each blade of grass or flower, see how the plants protrude through the fuselage and wings, makes it look like the aircraft was parked in that place and plants just grew up through it. !!!
I noticed that when I got RF-X imagine the performance hit if they had a collision mesh for each plant.

Playing with the beta I noticed a few things I still need to do. When I decided to remove all the special mixes in the physics I just went back to my first set of physics and started from there adjusting all the sizes and weights to where they needed to be. But I still need to add "back" the pilot seat camera and adjust all the outside cameras, front, left, and right side views. So if you noticed that I'll fix that before release.

I see you're using Windows 11. I am too now. I like it fine. How is it going for you?

I added the Pilot Seat camera this morning and adjusted the front, left, and right camera views. So I guess it's finished now but I'll fly it a little more to make sure I don't find any other tweaks I need to do before release. But hopefully it's ready to release now.

I've been flying the Trident quite a bit to make sure everything was okay and of course I found two things I needed to fix. There are two colors used for the tire, the main tire color and a darker color for the tread and the main tire color was darker than I usually make it so the tread was hard to see. Then I found a smoothing group issue on the back tip of the vertical stabilizer you could only see in a very narrow area as you turned the plane in the editor. So I fixed both of those issues and did a final build I'll use for the release. I also created both of the additional color schemes I did for it, the Trident Blue White (same as the red-white but blue. And then Bill's Trident color scheme. So I'm finally finished with the Trident so all I need to do now is export the plane and color schemes and create the release pictures for the Swap Page. So I'm almost there.

Last edited:
Just got them all. I left on vacation yesterday, but I took my Lenovo laptop with me, along with my InterLink Elite. Signed up for WiFi internet at the campground $18 for the week. I'm a HAPPY camper - for more reasons than one!

I just released Bill's Trident_AV that includes two mixes for Bill Stuntz.

This AV includes two mixes for Bill Stuntz.

AILERON-ELEVATOR MIX: Channel 8 3 Position Switch Forward.

This mix moves the ailerons up and down opposite to the elevator to improve aerobatics.

AILERON-FLAP MIX: Channel 6 Knob

This mix adds simulated flaps by moving both ailerons as flaps using the Channel 6 Knob.

Hey Technoid, I got your message about posting photos here. I wanted to show you what I've done so far with modifying the SIG Manufacturing 4 Star 40 kit and producing a "replica" Trident for flying RC. It's been a fun build so far, I've made some changes and re-did a few parts after seeing some mistakes. All in all it is turning out Ok. There is a lot more work to do, like finishing the wing, landing gear and pants, reinforcing the fuselage tail, and setting up the control horn and rods for rudder controls. The original C/L Trident and this RC model plane will have similar specs with the only real difference being the low wing on my plane and the original having a mid-wing. It will look really close to the original, just some minor changes, that in the long run with the 4 Star platform will hopefully make it a better flyer. I scratch built the tail and rudder assembly from full size plans of the C/L plane, modified the fuselage back toward the tail to match the fuselage shape a little better along with the turtle deck I am sheeting, and I custom built my own balsa cowl with guide pins and magnets. It works great. The cockpit area changes are looking good, and I am going electric with this plane and the battery hatch worked out really well. I'll post more as the build moves on. I'm taking a break after some surgery, so I'll be back at it in a couple weeks.

Attachments

• 20240131_102952.jpg
    20240131_102952.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240131_103013.jpg
    20240131_103013.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240226_173256.jpg
    20240226_173256.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240202_223302.jpg
    20240202_223302.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240202_223241.jpg
    20240202_223241.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240131_120712.jpg
    20240131_120712.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240226_173333.jpg
    20240226_173333.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240229_083130.jpg
    20240229_083130.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240229_083306.jpg
    20240229_083306.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240229_083548.jpg
    20240229_083548.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 5
Looks great! I can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck on your surgery.

I see you chopped off the points on the rudders. I kinda miss them, but they're missing on my C/L one, too. But not by design. They're too fragile & it didn't take much to break them off.

Back