TX16s with USB connection as controller

Yeah, that "cross talk" has got to be a bug in OpenTx.

I forgot to ask you, is the mixing in any way logical, for instance, like aileron|rudder, or flap|elevator?

If its random mixing there has to be a bug in there somewhere... guess we wait for N8LVS

I think it was from rudder to one of the non-stick proportional channels. That always seems to happen in the RF controller setup until you've exercised all of the controls. Perhaps I was missing one of the controls when I saw that.

Short response: Everything is working now, and all proportional channels are 50% when the controls are centered.

Longer response:

I had set up 10 inputs, and then assigned each input to a channel on the mixer screen, 100% for each input. But the order in the mixer wasn't always the same as the order on the input screen. The monitor showed what was expected from the mixer screen.

I set the order of the inputs to what I might need for RF - reset and gear on 'buttons' with everything else on the first 8 proportional channels. Then I deleted all of the mixes. Then I edited each mix by entering and exiting immediately, and the mixer screen looks almost exactly like the input screen (I gave the inputs names). Screenshots attached.

Flapper, trims 64.txt is a 'bad' setup. Everything looks great; you can assign various switches and sticks to things in RF. After you calibrate, the sticks are at 64%. Kindly let me know if you see the same issue with calibration. It really would be nice to know the root cause here.

Thank you again for all your help,

Howard

Attachments

• inputs.png
    inputs.png
    400.3 KB · Views: 26
  • mixes.png
    mixes.png
    400.3 KB · Views: 26
  • trims 64.txt
    774 bytes · Views: 14
I think it was from rudder to one of the non-stick proportional channels. That always seems to happen in the RF controller setup until you've exercised all of the controls. Perhaps I was missing one of the controls when I saw that.
Yes, yes. The proportional controls will "bounce" around a bit until they are 'set' and calibrated; that is normal. Its not cross talk or mixing, its just the control is not stable until calibration is complete.

marcus

Short response: Everything is working now, and all proportional channels are 50% when the controls are centered.

Longer response:

I had set up 10 inputs, and then assigned each input to a channel on the mixer screen, 100% for each input. But the order in the mixer wasn't always the same as the order on the input screen. The monitor showed what was expected from the mixer screen.

I set the order of the inputs to what I might need for RF - reset and gear on 'buttons' with everything else on the first 8 proportional channels. Then I deleted all of the mixes. Then I edited each mix by entering and exiting immediately, and the mixer screen looks almost exactly like the input screen (I gave the inputs names). Screenshots attached.

Flapper, trims 64.txt is a 'bad' setup. Everything looks great; you can assign various switches and sticks to things in RF. After you calibrate, the sticks are at 64%. Kindly let me know if you see the same issue with calibration. It really would be nice to know the root cause here.

Thank you again for all your help,

Howard

On the Inputs screen, this is just a list. Order doesn't matter. As you did, you just need to link the correct input to the channel you want it to drive, in the Mixer screen. As you can see from mine, if you are happy with using the raw stick values, then you don't even need to list something on the Inputs page (but most users do list everything there that will be actively controlling a channel - makes a handy list to see all the active controls at a glance).
I couldn't open the file - I suspect you did a complete backup (a ".bin" file). Useful for restoring to the actual radio, but since I don't have one.....
If you upload models from the radio to Companion, and then do "File", "Save" it will save as an ".otx" file that I can load into my PC. I can even export it to my Taranis from there for testing, although that may not be the best test due to the change in hardware.
Your 2 screen shots looked fine for the most part. The 10th item was clipped off in both pictures, but if it was like the others, nothing on the surface appears "off". The 6 position switch might give RF fits, unless it is defined as proportional. And since it doesn't have a center of "0", I could see how that may not calibrate well. But that would only be an issue for that one channel.

Did a bit of testing this morning, and perhaps a clue, although I'm far from understanding it all.
It appears that Windows nominally expects the first 8 channels to be on variable controls (sticks, sliders, knobs). Channels 9 and higher get seen as being buttons in Windows. You can assign switches to "low" channels, but if they don't have a center (ie, are only 2 position), calibration can be skewed. And it helps to advance through the calibration screens if you have a switch assigned to one high channel, that will be seen as a "gamepad button" by Windows.

This may be where some of the issues came from - Windows just didn't get calibrated fully/correctly. The switched channels 5,6,7 and 8 may have confused things.

RF, for whatever reason, flips the order of the first 8 channels in its calibration screen. Not really important, but can be confusing. So, if you assign the Rud stick to Ch 1, in Win it controls the X Axis. RF then shows the X Axis as being on Ch 8 in calibration. And then in the main RF setup, you remap the X Axis control to the appropriate output used in RF (ie, Rudder). Makes my head hurt.

I haven't explored, but in setting up a new controller in RF, you have choices as to various brands of radios to start with (Futaba, Hitec, Spektrum, etc.). I suspect the main difference is the default order of the channel assignments that varies from brand to brand (AETR, TAER, etc.). What impact that has on the order things are displayed in the RF calibration and assignment screens I haven't looked at.

Sometimes just using the Interlink is the least painful option....

So I think this means I don't need to fire mine up now? :)
I know I have used it in the past and it worked good.

It's freezing cold from being in the car.
Installing RF 8 now.

Last edited:
Using OpenTX 2.3.10-otx Date 2020-10-06 (not stock firmware it shipped with).
Shows up in windows 10 as "RadioMas TX16S Joystick" under USB game controllers.

I'm only using a few channels for helis at the moment.

CH1 AIL
CH2 ELE
CH3 Thr
CH4 RUD

CH 5 Mode
CH6 Throttle Hold.

No there's something buggy going on.
If I calibrate all of the midpoints end up at 64% which is severely out of trim
and too far to trim adjust for.

I will have to test further later have to leave for work.

Also it *seems* to only be happening in RF 8 and not RF9.5

9.5 calibrated and left the midpoints at 50%.

But I only had a minute to test.

I will need to do more and see if it's repeatable and how to get it to work at
50%

I did it once really quick but not sure what I did differently.

I've found it is best to do a triple calibration - calibrate the transmitter, calibrate the Windows gamepad device, then finally do the RF calibration and channel mapping. The transmitter part is probably overkill...unless you are using Companion, which has the option of storing the TX calibration and downloading it when you download models. And if what it has stored is wonky.....so redoing it is kind of belt and suspenders when chasing these kinds of issues. (BTW, I think we all have been doing this testing in a flavor of ver 8).

[QUOTE="Flapper, post: 337082, member: 14560]
(BTW, I think we all have been doing this testing in a flavor of ver 8).
[/QUOTE]
haha! well, I think we all know what the answer to all that is... ? (y)

marcus

I'm back at the office for a bit.
When I fire up RF 8.5 (fully up to date).
It consistently calibrates leaving mid stick at a value of 64% on all sticks.
I have not yet figured out how to fix it. or make it work.

If I fire up RF9.5 it consistently calibrates all mid-stick values to 50% and works perfectly.

There's definitely an issue with it and RF 8.5 trying to set it up and calibrate it out of the box.

Attachments

• 111.png
    111.png
    773.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 222.png
    222.png
    537.7 KB · Views: 11
Definitely a serious problem going on with it in RF 8.5 And I have not figured out a work-around yet.
It *randomly* shows me 50% midstick values in the calibration screen after performing the calibration.
But most of the time when I do it it shows 64% midstick values.

However after performing calibration and saving after I go back into the channels screen
they all show the 64ish midstick values and is unusable.

RF 9.5 shows no signs of this issue and works correctly.

Attachments

• 333.png
    333.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 5
Just for reference I tried plugging in a generic DYNAM RC Sim 6CH USB (you know the one) controller.
It sorta does the same thing.
Throttle and rudder show center about 33% on calibration screen in RF 8.5
(but way more flyable) even with the offset.
Probably due to not being on cyclic channel for a heli.

In RF 9.5 it calibrates with midpoints on 50% perfectly.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
Also if you are a heli guy the "smoke" channel is throttle hold.
That has thrown me a few times.
On RF 9.5 a separate "throttle hold" function has been provided and named properly.
On RF 8.5 and older it seems to be a shared function "smoke" for planes and throttle hold for helis.
But still named "smoke".

On RF 8.5 and older it seems to be a shared function "smoke" for planes and throttle hold for helis.
But still named "smoke".
Yeah, on Rf9.x the "smoke" is on odd channel (7) and shared with gear, which should be on channel (5); but is still labeled "smoke" in the Rf9.x controller editor. As a side-bar, @technoid's RAF SE5a_EA uses "smoke" channel for actual smoke! :)

marcus

Back