Vertices per frame

I have no clue what you`re referring too asj, But can you clarify a little more for anyone that might. Does it have anything to do with frame rates while flying in RF. If I recall, the more detailed a model is =(more vertices), the slower the frame rates get, can`t give you a number though.

How do I determine the vertices per frame count.
My understanding is a frame equals a graphics object. By that I mean a fuselage is a frame, a wing is a frame, all the individual parts are a frame. That is if you're referring to the limit on how many triangles a frame can have in DX9. I saw a post from Ryan once that talked about it but I don't know where that post is. So you can select an individual part and in 3ds max see how many polys, tris, and verts it has.

Last edited:
I have no clue what you`re referring too asj, But can you clarify a little more for anyone that might. Does it have anything to do with frame rates while flying in RF. If I recall, the more detailed a model is =(more vertices), the slower the frame rates get, can`t give you a number though.
Here's some posts from Ryan about the frame limit.

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/fbx-import.32711/post-282245

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/questions-about-rf-8.32710/post-280784

Thanks for the reply UT, yeah I am trying to import a new model into RF and I get an error message about the verts per frame exceeding the 65000 limit, BUT the total verts for the entire model are below that number of verts, so I am just interested in how to calculate and reduce verts per frame.

Thanks for the reply UT, yeah I am trying to import a new model into RF and I get an error message about the verts per frame exceeding the 65000 limit, BUT the total verts for the entire model are below that number of verts, so I am just interested in how to calculate and reduce verts per frame.
this seems like something that @legoman would know. 🤔

Thanks Technoid I will have a look at those threads.
That's odd that the total number of verts is below 65k but the import fails saying it's above 65k for a frame. How much below is it? I ask because I seem to remember Ryan saying something about the vert calculation not being perfect in some way between 3ds max and RF calculation.

Total was just over 63000 verts, yes I could not understand how a frame (a fraction of the total) was more than the total, confusing?
So I applied a optimizer modifier to the model and reduced the tri's and verts below the 60,000 vert mark and now it just crashes the import.

@asj5547 which program are you wanting to get the vertex count from. also does the model have a lot of hard edges on one object that is already large? I would hazard a guess that edge split might be increasing one objects vert count a lot.

A work around for the triangle limit would be to split the problem object into two or more objects child them to each other with the (grand)parent being the one with ~CS_.
  • ~CS_unrelated_parent
    • ~CS_problem_object
      • problem_subobject1
      • problem_subobject2
      • ~CS_COLL_problem_object
    • ~CS_COLL_unrelated_parent

@asj5547 which program are you wanting to get the vertex count from. also does the model have a lot of hard edges on one object that is already large? I would hazard a guess that edge split might be increasing one objects vert count a lot.

A work around for the triangle limit would be to split the problem object into two or more objects child them to each other with the (grand)parent being the one with ~CS_.
  • ~CS_unrelated_parent
    • ~CS_problem_object
      • problem_subobject1
      • problem_subobject2
      • ~CS_COLL_problem_object
    • ~CS_COLL_unrelated_parent

I do not know what the problem object is, the largest object is 35167 tri's, 20645 verts. (measured in 3ds max)
I will try splitting some objects and see what happens

If I uncheck the smoothing groups on the FBX exports list the model imports okay, even with 69781 total verts.
So now all I have to do is go through all the 297 objects and see which one is producing the problem with the smoothing groups, Oh Fun !!!

If I uncheck the smoothing groups on the FBX exports list the model imports okay, even with 69781 total verts.
So now all I have to do is go through all the 297 objects and see which one is producing the problem with the smoothing groups, Oh Fun !!!
you can do them in batches to test 50 or100 at a time until you narrow down the problem object. test half the plane if it imports fine then import the other half. if you find an issue in one half that does not necessarily mean the other half is fine.

Back