Yf-23

I figure there is no use for the ~CS_ENGINE component for jets. I guess I'll have to use wave generators or something to spin my compressor blades. Since this is my first jet I thought I'd get this one in to RF even before all the modeling is done.so I can get started on the physics. I still have to add hinges to all the gear and bay doors, round the forward edges of all the wing control surfaces, and if I have any polys left under my 15,000 self imposed limit. I'll spend those on a few more dodads and whatsits in the cockpit. If I have any I'll be surprised. I'm at 13804 with the coll mesh. Does anyone know if my missiles need coll mesh?

Attachments

• ScreenShot1300942829.jpg
    ScreenShot1300942829.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 12
  • ScreenShot1300943030.jpg
    ScreenShot1300943030.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 13
  • ScreenShot1300943077.jpg
    ScreenShot1300943077.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 20
Boof69 said:
Does anyone know if my missiles need coll mesh?
If I recall, that was just addressed in one of the latest updates. Check the News and Announcements section for release descriptions. I think there was a post by Ryan or maybe another KE guy about it in the main forums as well.

Exerpt from latest update details: Detachable components without a collision mesh do not reduce vehicle velocity when they attempt to separate (note that all detachable components now require a collision mesh in order to work). Thanks Jeff

I'm looking through the RF Airplane Tutorial .pdf. It mentioned the ~CS_BBD designation for bomb bay doors but it doesn't seem to have any special properties like the ~CS_GD 1-4 designations. I have bomb bay doors on this jet and would like to make use of the designation. Can any one tell me what I'm missing? I know it can be done with a symmetrical movable pods but.....

Attachments

• BBD.jpg
    BBD.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 14
I think your asking about a NUP for the
bomb doors?You can hook them up to
a set of movablepods in the Aircraft editor.
(like you said)

I don't beleive
there is a special thing for them like the
gear and gear doors. Most people use
the 3 position switch and pods.

Lookin Good,
WM57

That's what I thought. I think it's a bit confusing to even mention it in the pdf. There is no need for NUP values if you use pods. That's how I set it up (no NUP values) and everything is working great with the bombs and doors.

Stumbled across a way to make "mach diamonds" ....well sort of. The effect is hard to see unless your in binocular view. It may be old hat, I don't know but I think it looks cool. Looks better in motion then in this pic.

Attachments

• Mach Diamonds.jpg
    Mach Diamonds.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 38
Please help!

This YF-23 has leading edge flaps (Krueger flaps). The problem is even though the pivots for these flaps are set correctly in max (as shown in pics 1&2), when I try to pivot them in the X in RF a Y rotation is introduced. Not on the visible mesh just the wireframe (as shown in pic 3). When I try to set counter rotation in the Y to zero it out the visible mesh is rotated in the Y(as shown in pic 4) What do I do to fix this?

Attachments

• problem_001.jpg
    problem_001.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 15
  • problem_002.jpg
    problem_002.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 17
  • problem_003.jpg
    problem_003.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 14
  • problem_004.jpg
    problem_004.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I figured it out, but I'm not sure if it was the most efficient way. I had to reset my pivots (aligned to world axis). Then set rotation for X,Y,and Z in RF. I don't know why this didn't work with the X axis running through the hinge.

Attachments

• Solution_001.jpg
    Solution_001.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Solution_002.jpg
    Solution_002.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Solution_003.jpg
    Solution_003.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Solution_004.jpg
    Solution_004.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 20
Wingman57 said:
I don't beleive
there is a special thing for them like the
gear and gear doors. Most people use
the 3 position switch and pods.
Correct. Use the 3 possitions of servo travel on a movable pod to sequence the doors. Doors open/close on one half of the travel and ordinance deploys on the other. Don't need to use the 3-pos switch, however, a single will do fine.

Boof69 said:
Then set rotation for X,Y,and Z in RF. I don't know why this didn't work with the X axis running through the hinge.
RF and Max use different origin point orientations on the wings. If you have any incidence or dihedral it will skew the axis. I usually leave the slat pivot orientation in Max aligned to the origin and handle the rotation with the 3 axises of the pod. Takes some playing around, but makes my head hurt less from trying to do a multi-axis translation.

dhk79 said:
I usually leave the slat pivot orientation in Max aligned to the origin and handle the rotation with the 3 axises of the pod. Takes some playing around, but makes my head hurt less from trying to do a multi-axis translation.
I think your way is the only way to do it. If I change the pivot in the least in max the visible mesh and physical wireframe fall out of alignment. Rendering the manipulating of all axis in RF useless. The question is what is the problem here if I haven't modeled in incidence or dihedral. I rotated the pivot more for my bomb bay doors in all 3 axis, but they work fine. Even now the rotation for my slats isn't perfect and if I want to change the X rotation Y and Z must also be changed.

Boof69 said:
This YF-23 has leading edge flaps (Krueger flaps). The problem is even though the pivots for these flaps are set correctly in max (as shown in pics 1&2), when I try to pivot them in the X in RF a Y rotation is introduced. Not on the visible mesh just the wireframe (as shown in pic 3). When I try to set counter rotation in the Y to zero it out the visible mesh is rotated in the Y(as shown in pic 4) What do I do to fix this?

Boof,

Check out how I have the SAAB Gripen setup. It has leading edge control surfaces and I had a difficult time at first with them, but in the end I got it sorted out. It may help you.

Back