33% Pitts S-1 Special

Unquestionably separating it does give more control. I would be interested in how exactly Knife Edge breaks down the fuselage for modeling the physics. This isn't the first time I have wondered about it.

What is so interesting about the fuselage in particular, is that unlike the other pieces like the wings, the fuselage is represented exactly in the physics model visual. I'm curious to what extent that is eye candy and to what extent it actually matters in terms of the physics modeling they do.

There are certainly nuances of wings that they are missing because they don't do the exact modeled profile. The wing on my Yak is an example of that.

Looks good Andy. Proportioned rite. Unlike an S-2 with an S-1 canopy. (like I had mentioned earlier)
But , yes ... if the vertical could be made part of the fuse, it would definitely
set it apart from others.
These pics you've shown aren't bad as far as the vertical joining the fuse thow.
Looks ok. At least it doesn't look like a vertial fin stuck to the top of a boxed fuselage.
It'd be a cumbersome area when covering the real thing. (framed up R/C ...not an ARF)

QUOTE=abaser;223883]Ive gotten most of the modeling done, I believe. All that I see that's left is the connections for the aileron rods, center top wing supports, spinner, and the tail gear. Just out of curiosity, can I assume the aileron rods would connect just as a servo arm would? These are much larger than the ones on my late hog bipe, but that's how it connected.

Hab, here are some close ups of what I have. let me know what you think.

As of right now, Im somewhere just below 12k polys. Since I havent figured out how to get the poly count in Blender yet, Im just doubling the face count in my head:p I know Im less than double the count because there are several tri's already from adding the ribs.[/QUOTE]

Unquestionably separating it does give more control. I would be interested in how exactly Knife Edge breaks down the fuselage for modeling the physics. This isn't the first time I have wondered about it.

What is so interesting about the fuselage in particular, is that unlike the other pieces like the wings, the fuselage is represented exactly in the physics model visual. I'm curious to what extent that is eye candy and to what extent it actually matters in terms of the physics modeling they do.

There are certainly nuances of wings that they are missing because they don't do the exact modeled profile. The wing on my Yak is an example of that.

MR notice that a fuselage, detachable item, and a movable pod all will result in the actual shape of the object showing in the wireframe. Both the fuselage and detachable item allows for you to assign an airfoil for the side profile and the top profile. Neither airfoil can define the exact shape of the fuse. You can only get it close. Neither will account for the vertical stabilizer. Adding the vertical as a wing is the only way I know of to get the rudder right. Unless you add it in a movable pod. If all the parts of the model were added as detachables the exact shapes would represent the model but wouldn't be very accurate because of the airfoil calculation. I think the small problem of a seam is acceptable so the physics will setup correctly.

Last edited:
Not a lot of progress, but here are a couple requested modifications. Tomorrow, hopefully Ill get to do some quality work on the cowl.

Hab, I know this isnt the tail gear that you sent a pic of, but it's one I have used in the past, and it's close. Will this one work, or would you like me to create the one you sent? Up to you, it's your bird;)

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 12
  • zzz1.jpg
    zzz1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 9
  • zzz2.jpg
    zzz2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 7
Wish I could take credit. I believe junkboy999 posted it in the repository. I do like this setup.

Tail gear....Interesting.... I like it ! Will those springs expand as real ?
I know , I know ....... lol asking to much :D I do like that set up though, that looks nice.

2nd pic ~ aileron linkage; will you be able to couple with horns? If so, the horns would be on the hinge line, just like a rudder or an ele. control horn. If you use
a DuBro horn; like the one shown, angle would be towards the hinge side. Straight edge towards T.E

3rd ...can I kick the tires? Look good Andy... could you put the "Firestone" script on the wall ? :D ...... (kidding !)

Ah, it isn't just for me Andy, for anyone else also ;)
A few pics to show. The aileron control linkage , ( drawn picture) is a little exaggerated, they're in the wrong area for one, should be at the hinge line, and the control link is to long, but gives you the general idea of the set up using DuBro / Hanger 9 ... etc control horns.

Looking good Andy ! Thanks

Wish I could take credit. I believe junkboy999 posted it in the repository. I do like this setup.

Attachments

• Control horn.jpg
    Control horn.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Aileron_Connection_lower.JPG
    Aileron_Connection_lower.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Clevis.jpg
    Clevis.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 68
  • Aileron control upper and lower.jpg
    Aileron control upper and lower.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1
I finally made it back home from a couple days of working out of town. Spent most of the night with the family, but I did manage to get most of the cowl work done. I think all that is left in this area is the exhaust cutout, and of course, the exhaust:p

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 12
  • zzz1.jpg
    zzz1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 9
Awesome!

I finally made it back home from a couple days of working out of town. Spent most of the night with the family, but I did manage to get most of the cowl work done. I think all that is left in this area is the exhaust cutout, and of course, the exhaust:p

Looks great. :) Have you figured out unwrapping multiple objects to the image in 2.62? It was driving me absolutely buggy. I think I finally figured it out.

Having only done one model in Blender, Im still unsure about the whole thing, but this is how I was advised to do it. However, if you have done naming, pivots, or hierarchy, you will lose it if this is followed.

If I remember correctly, you first select all parts to be mapped. Hit Shift+ D to duplicate and click to cancel movement. Now move those parts to a different layer by hitting M and selecting a layer position in the popup. After you map all of the parts, join them together and open the UV editor. All parts should be shown if the map has been setup correctly. Arrange to your liking and save the image. If everything goes as planned, delete the original parts and move the duplicated back in place and separate.

I could tell with his first model he would be very good at this. Told him so too. The modeling is very solid on this one from the looks of it. Tip-o-the hat.:)

And to think 14 months or so ago he could barely even make a CS
Nice to have witnessed the progression andy:D:D

(warning: the following post is a mushy attempt for an ego boost. If mushiness makes you're stomach churn, please read on.)

Maj., if it weren't for you, I would never have made it this far. CSing was just the beginning, and you made that happen for me. THANK YOU!:D

Then Jeff stepped up when thew modeler in me came out. Between him, Flex, and Boof, they somehow found a bit of talent in me. Without you guys, I'd still be dreaming. thanks to all involved.

(this ends in 5 gallons of tears of joy.)

Last edited:
Back