Air Tractor Fire Boss

pplace said:
hopefully all the drama in this thread is "in the past" once you get back to it.
Boof69 said:
I'm taking my time on this one, with the pressure of it being a group build at one time
I don't think that's going to happen, pplace! :D

I've got the connections in. I still need to model the cockpit, sensors, and antennae. If I can get all that in I will make turnbuckles and fasteners on the guy wires. I've done all I could to balance detail and poly economy and it's sitting at 10,431 polys.

Attachments

• Fireboss001.jpg
    Fireboss001.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Fireboss002.jpg
    Fireboss002.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Fireboss003.jpg
    Fireboss003.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Fireboss004.jpg
    Fireboss004.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 40
Boof,

You are definitely doing this plane justice ;)

As I said in the original thread, this plane saved my house!

Boof69 said:
I've got the connections in. I still need to model the cockpit, sensors, and antennae. If I can get all that in I will make turnbuckles and fasteners on the guy wires. I've done all I could to balance detail and poly economy and it's sitting at 10,431 polys.

Wow, with all seriousness this place certainly has a new top modeler!

Thanks for all the nice comments guys.
I finally got a chance to get some modeling done on the Air Tractor tonight. I have a total of 13,066 polys currently and have all of the major details in. The cockpit has it's seat, stick, IP but still needs seat belts and rudder pedals. This plane has a very busy exterior as well and I'm working through each piece slowly. I have the antennae, control horns (if that's what you call them) below the wing, and supports under the horizontal stab. Exterior items that still need to be modeled are nav lights, handles, foot holds...etc.

Attachments

• AT-802_001.jpg
    AT-802_001.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 33
  • AT-802_002.jpg
    AT-802_002.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 32
  • AT-802_003.jpg
    AT-802_003.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 25
  • AT-802_004.jpg
    AT-802_004.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 24
  • AT-802_005.jpg
    AT-802_005.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 27
pplace said:
Wow, with all seriousness this place certainly has a new top modeler!
mmm. I miss Dirty Harry. ALWAYS loved his work. Really hard to say, I think we all have strengths and weaknesses.

Boof69 said:
I have a total of 13,066 polys currently and have all of the major details in..
:eek: Whats your secret? this has lots more detail the my Toucan and its at 13295.

Any geometry that is hidden i.e. (the back and bottom of the seat, the ends of each cylinder connecting the floats to the air frame) is deleted. Also cylinders that have a small diameter are reduced to 6 sided. Long flat surfaces with no change in angle will generally have no edge loops in the middle. I don't use spheres or hemispheres hardly ever due to their tenancy to eat up polys. I instead use bump an CS to accomplish the look. Here are some screens of my geometry if it helps.

Attachments

• AT-802_006.jpg
    AT-802_006.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 25
  • AT-802_007.jpg
    AT-802_007.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 28
  • AT-802_008.jpg
    AT-802_008.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 28
That's looking real good Boof. I like seeing the edge lines in your shots. You definitely have a great deal of patience looking at all the struts and guide wire for the floats.

Not trying to hijack here, just for comparison :p

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 33
  • zz1.jpg
    zz1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 26
  • zz2.jpg
    zz2.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 23
Between the wheel pants, gear, helmet, nav lights, and canopy is where you have allot of polys invested. Instead of banding the fuse with edge loops below the canopy you could terminate those edges by making the canopy a separate piece of geometry. You could select every other edge loop in the nav light and wheel pants and dissolve them. I count 58 polys you could gain by dissolving the edges that horizontally bisect the wing tips. I cant see from the pics but it looks like maybe there are more sides then you need in the cylindrical geometry around the air frame. All that said your toucan is looking great Andy. Your a natural.

Boof69 said:
Between the wheel pants, gear, helmet, nav lights, and canopy is where you have allot of polys invested. Instead of banding the fuse with edge loops below the canopy you could terminate those edges by making the canopy a separate piece of geometry. You could select every other edge loop in the nav light and wheel pants and dissolve them. I count 58 polys you could gain by dissolving the edges that horizontally bisect the wing tips. I cant see from the pics but it looks like maybe there are more sides then you need in the cylindrical geometry around the air frame. All that said your toucan is looking great Andy. Your a natural.

Haha good advice....take a quick peak at the example I did on his screenshot (I posted it in his build thread) I also explained how the vertical formers below the canopy could be cleaned up. Again no serious errors at all.....just things to tweak, adjust, as he models more and more. All your other points were very important as well.

Did allot of mapping today and have everything that is modeled mapped!
The AT-802 is at 13,265 poly's and can be reduced a bit further.
I still will be modeling the various hand and foot holds about the fuse.
6 cleats on the floats. Hardware on the nose of the fuse above the water hopper.
Also rudder pedals, and the collision mesh. I should be able to get that all in with the
6,735 polys I have left.

Attachments

• AT-802_001.jpg
    AT-802_001.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 24
  • AT-802_002.jpg
    AT-802_002.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 21
  • AT-802_003.jpg
    AT-802_003.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 22
Back