Anybody see RF9.5s yet?

Does anyone know if it's true,,, it said in download details,, if you download steam code (have to redeem your Realflight code), that you will no longer be able to use your old Realflight code.

I really don't like 9.5S, takes FAR too long to swap planes and airfields. I gave it a chance but has only annoyed me, no benefits whatsoever.

I wan't to go back to 9.5 but worried i will lose everything due to losing code through gaining steam 9.5S

Please don't say what you THINK will happen, this doesn't help.Please i am interested in people who have actually tried to go back to 9.5

Does anyone know if it's true,,, it said in download details,, if you download steam code (have to redeem your Realflight code), that you will no longer be able to use your old Realflight code.

I really don't like 9.5S, takes FAR too long to swap planes and airfields. I gave it a chance but has only annoyed me, no benefits whatsoever.

I wan't to go back to 9.5 but worried i will lose everything due to losing code through gaining steam 9.5S

Please don't say what you THINK will happen, this doesn't help.Please i am interested in people who have actually tried to go back to 9.5
Longer load and switch times would definitely bother me so I'm glad I found out about it. I'd call HH Support and tell them you want to go back to the normal version and see if they can re-instate your regular code.

Maybe it depends on your PC but I don't find the load times to be significantly longer. I use Steam a lot and run it with my other win10 startups. If you do not do this then the initial RF 9.5s startup will take a bit longer because it needs to login to your Steam account. As far as changing aircraft/airports I do not notice any significant loading times. Maybe helps that I have RF on an SSD drive.

For now, I do not see any reason(s) that I would want to go back to my download version of 9.5. Sorry I cannot offer any advice about rolling 9.5s to 9.5. The instructions are pretty clear that this is not possible but maybe as the OP said, you could try talking to RF support to see if they can make this happen for you.

What are your PC specs? You can see mine on my signature below (might only see this viewing it on a PC, not smartphone).

Sounds like you have a slow internet connection, I do not have any problems with slow loading of aircraft or airfields.
Did you uninstall RF 9.5,? I have both RF 9,5 and RF 9.5S installed and they both work good

Sounds like you have a slow internet connection, I do not have any problems with slow loading of aircraft or airfields.
Did you uninstall RF 9.5,? I have both RF 9,5 and RF 9.5S installed and they both work good
I like RF 9.5s so much I just uninstalled my download version of RF 9.5. I did not see the point it keeping this.

I like RF 9.5s so much I just uninstalled my download version of RF 9.5. I did not see the point it keeping this.
Im currently working on the same thing, but I uninstalled my DVD version of 9.5 first and am about half way through the download of 9.5S

Maybe it depends on your PC but I don't find the load times to be significantly longer. I use Steam a lot and run it with my other win10 startups. If you do not do this then the initial RF 9.5s startup will take a bit longer because it needs to login to your Steam account. As far as changing aircraft/airports I do not notice any significant loading times. Maybe helps that I have RF on an SSD drive.

For now, I do not see any reason(s) that I would want to go back to my download version of 9.5. Sorry I cannot offer any advice about rolling 9.5s to 9.5. The instructions are pretty clear that this is not possible but maybe as the OP said, you could try talking to RF support to see if they can make this happen for you.

What are your PC specs? You can see mine on my signature below (might only see this viewing it on a PC, not smartphone).
That might be it if he's starting RF9.5s without Steam running there would be a delay for Steam to start. But switching airports shouldn't change and he mentioned having longer load times with both. Does Steam really get 30% of the sale price? Ouch!

And I screwed up, I didnt think about all the Add-ons 1-5, and expansion packs 1-8 before I unistalled 9.5. How/where do I put the add-on files after I re download them, I stuck them in the data folder like before but they dont show up in once I get back into RF9.5s

NEVERMIND I FIGURED IT OUT, I was dropping them in the wrong data folder, steam is all new to me.

Last edited:
That might be it if he's starting RF9.5s without Steam running there would be a delay for Steam to start. But switching airports shouldn't change and he mentioned having longer load times with both. Does Steam really get 30% of the sale price? Ouch!
Could be he has a slower pc and/or the cache is reloading, who knows? The point is other’s have already commented that aircraft/airport loading times are not significantly longer. Don’t base your decision one one person’s opinion. Your own experience will be most important imho.

As far as whether or not Steam collects 30% I could care less. All software distributors normally collect 10-40% and this is often something negotiated between them and the developer.

You seem keen to find as many reasons as possible why not to go to Steam RF 9.5s. This decision is completely up to you mate. There is no point in trying to justify whether or not you want to do this imho.

No one is forcing you to switch. You can stay with your download or dvd versions and accept the fact that you will not get any further 9.5 updates.

And I screwed up, I didnt think about all the Add-ons 1-5, and expansion packs 1-8 before I unistalled 9.5. How/where do I put the add-on files after I re download them, I stuck them in the data folder like before but they dont show up in once I get back into RF9.5s
If you uninstalled everything (you should have unchecked things like custom aircraft) then you should be able to reinstall them. Check out Ryan’s earlier post.

Thanks Tom, SEE above I edited my last post, I only lost the add-ons and expansions, I still have all the custom aircraft I got from the swaps.

Could be he has a slower pc and/or the cache is reloading, who knows? The point is other’s have already commented that aircraft/airport loading times are not significantly longer. Don’t base your decision one one person’s opinion. Your own experience will be most important imho.

As far as whether or not Steam collects 30% I could care less. All software distributors normally collect 10-40% and this is often something negotiated between them and the developer.

You seem keen to find as many reasons as possible why not to go to Steam RF 9.5s. This decision is completely up to you mate. There is no point in trying to justify whether or not you want to do this imho.

No one is forcing you to switch. You can stay with your download or dvd versions and accept the fact that you will not get any further 9.5 updates.
Sorry I was just trying to give a nice reply to your information.

I don't understand why you guys are upgrading. All you get is (1) new airport, and a few new E-flite airplanes that someone is gonna model anyway (if it hasn't been done already), and put them in the swap file section even if this update wasn't happening in the first place. I already have (3) Draco's in my RF9.5, "Point Proven !" No mention of a fix to the physics engine at all. Can't use you old key code if you have a CD version if your PC crashes. You have to go redownload it from Steam (of which I'm a member). I see no absolute benefit to this upgrade. I won't be duped into falling down this Horizon Hobby rabbit hole. No way man. In fact I won't buy anymore HH products because of the key code issue. I'm done with them for good. This was the last straw with them.

Last edited:
Ok, here is my take, it works and does what it's supposed to do, I can still fly, all the user created aircraft still work. I am not a gamer, so I never looked into Steam, for me I saw no need, but here we are, and if this is the path that Horizon wants to go, I will go too, I have used RF since G2, and won't let a "scary new thing" stop me from enjoying and moving forward with what will come next for Real Flight.

The only thing I wish I had done was save my Add-on and Expansion pack files to make moving them to steam easier, but again, big deal, once I figured out the correct file to stick them in, I just redownloaded the add-ons, and took me maybe all of 10 minuets find my DVD drive and to run all 8 of the Expansion pack disks again.

BONUS: For whatever reason, I did not have to re enter all the serial #s again? Don't know why or care, it was that much quicker.

Once I got all the AOs and EP put back in all my own custom AV that I had saved all even worked.

I see no difference in load times, or performance overall, at all. It feels just like if I had been running my DVD version of RF9.5.

Guys don't be afraid to move along with the times, so far this is working out just fine for me. And I am no tech wiz either, most of you are probably far more advanced than I am, especially you guys that create the stuff on the swaps. This will be a walk in the park.

I look forward to what will happen next for Real Flight.

On a side note, I was checking out Steam, and I might just have to go get a blast from the past, and download Joint Operations: Combined Arms Gold, We played the crap out of this back in the day. lol

Last edited:
You could probably do one better :D Besides Draco is Old news nowadays since it no longer exists in one piece and won't be rebuilt. Scrappy is the new plane and that one is Amazing :love:.
View attachment 127310

scrappy is amazing. I would totally make one for RF once I know what he is doing to change the prop the airboat prop has some issues. I am kinda expecting a constant speed contra-rotating setup with six or eight blades. I believe he has also mentioned turbochargers to replace the Nitrous oxide

Also Mr. Patey has bought another Wilga 2000 to make a new better draco.

Douglas, Wait a minute? Did HH just give us something for absolutely FREE, "again" let me check, yup did not cost me a dime to get some new planes, a Heli that I actually am thinking about buying in the future, and a new photo field..... those A-holes. lol

Last edited:
scrappy is amazing. I would totally make one for RF once I know what he is doing to change the prop the airboat prop has some issues. I am kinda expecting a constant speed contra-rotating setup with six or eight blades. I believe he has also mentioned turbochargers to replace the Nitrous oxide

Also Mr. Patey has bought another Wilga 2000 to make a new better draco.
I love your turbine AV you did.

Douglas, Wait a minute? Did HH just give us something for absolutely FREE, "again" let me check, yup did not cost me a dime to get some new planes, a Heli that I actually am thinking about buying in the future, and a new photo field..... those A-holes. lol

I still don't see the point or the need regardless if its free or not. There isn't much benefit in the upgrade logically, other than as I said (1) new airport and a few new airplanes. What's wrong with RF9.5 as it is now..? Its working fine for me, I can still download swap file aircraft. If my PC crashes I can install it again with my CD. I have all my extra airports and aircraft on USB stick so they don't get lost. All I'm saying there is no justification for "ME" to upgrade. I was expecting something new and fandango with this new release. I was let down again by HH. So that was my exit out from ever buying HH stuff again. It's been a long time coming for me. This was the push I needed.

Back