AT-28D-5

Mr. legoman sir ... you have many tricks up your sleeve , were you or are you a magician .
Thanks for sharing that info, Since I do not construct models, I don't have a clue what your talking about, but my attention rises, when the talk turns to nups.
Everyone that constructs RF models benefits from the sharing on this forum ... thanks to all !!!

no I am not a magician nor have I ever tried. I have been a rf user for 15 years over half my life at this point. and building Ea's for 9-10 of those years. and I try figure out ways to use features provided in non conventional ways or unintended ways. and reverse engineer some feature from older planes from whose left before I joined. to keep pushing better and better planes.

Thanks for the information Legoman, so this type of springy gear can only be used on the main gear, ? I guess it would not work on steering gear with the pivot point so far ahead of the gear.

Am I correct in my impression that NUPs are settings that you can change in the RFX file or the KEX file or some other file?
NUP'S (new user profiles) are set in modelling program, here are some examples (using 3dsmax)
On the Beaufighter gear door, the NUP's tell RF to rotate the door 60 degrees on the Y axis when the left gear operates.
In the next example (Sea Vixen) the NUP's tell RF to rotate the gear door -88 degrees Y axis, 53 degrees Z axis and 11 degrees X axis when left gear operates (NUP_LandingGear=~CS_LG) pay attention to upper and lower case when typing.

Attachments

• NUP's_2.jpg
    NUP's_2.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 17
  • NUP's_3.jpg
    NUP's_3.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 15
Thank you so much! So NUP_ is the prefix of the custom (user defined) property names. I get it now. is there a reference for all of the different NUPs available?

common ones for planes
NUP_LandingGear=<insert comonent name here ~CS_RG> (this is used to link gear doors to landing gears)
NUP_MaxRotationX=<insert Dergees of rotation>
NUP_MaxRotationY=<insert Dergees of rotation>
NUP_MaxRotationZ=<insert Dergees of rotation> (also used in folding props on ~CS_BLADE2)

less common ones for planes for lights
NUP_OffPeriodSEC=
NUP_OnPeriodSEC=
NUP_OffsetSEC=

airport object specific

2022-03-11 21_18_16-Knife Edge Software KEmax Objects Tutorial and 2 more pages - Personal - M...jpg

I have a question for you Legoman,...Referring to post 155-2nd pic.....How do you establish where to put/set the pivot (distance/height wise from the tire/wheel assem.)) and what do the dotted lines mean, are they part of where to put/set the pivot...?????

Last edited:
for everyone: here is post 155 that Uncle Twist is referring to above:
and here's the picture:
index.php

Last edited:
I have a question for you Legoman,...Referring to post 155-2nd pic.....How do you establish where to put/set the pivot (distance/height wise from the tire/wheel assem.)) and what do the dotted lines mean, are they part of where to put/set the pivot...?????

the pivot in the image is for the pivoting frame component (NOT landing gears).

as far as establishing the location you want it tangentially away the axis of compression if you draw a big circle around the x axis the edge of the circle runs through and is "parallel the axis of compression". distance too close and you end up using a large angle so large you can notice the change too far away and your spring rates (OZ/degree) go very high to maintain the travel to a few inches of compression. greater than five degrees of travel is noticeable if you stick your nose in close and if you look for it you can see the EF-111's gear rotate gown and forward slightly.

Yes the dotted lines show the parent/child connections and connect the origins/pivots

Legoman you should start a new thread for Pivots and NUP's and maybe Mapping, I am sure there will be a lot of interest especially now that you are using Blender and you can give us some screenshots from within that program.

I've been playing around with the 28D for the last few days but decided not to use any of the changes I made so I started working on the mapping again but had to stop to go to a Dentist appointment, they're always fun. Anyway there's not much to report but I did finish mapping the Fuselage. I still need to remap the wings and all the changes to the landing gear so there's still a lot to do. But at least I'm working on it.

I just finished mapping all the weapons but they're still full size and all the parts are separate. Now I need to go back and overlay all the individual parts so I only have one set of parts for each weapon, machine gun, bomb, and rocket. Then I'll resize them and put them on the grid so I can update the color scheme PSD file and paint them. So things are moving along nicely. I think I'll end up creating a normal map this time with panel lines and rivets so the T-28B Trojan and AT-28D-5 Nomad has more detail. I guess since the normal names are taken I'll use the full names, unless someone has a better (shorter) idea. Maybe I could use the wingspan in meters to shorten the name and leave the North American off.

North American T-28B Trojan
North American AT-28D-5 Nomad

Last edited:
I updated the color scheme and painted the weapons and wheel wells so here's a couple of pictures for you. I still need to do the 1x1 mapping on a few things but I'm getting close. If anyone is flying this and wants an updated beta let me know and I'll upload another one.

AT-28D-5 Nomad 23.jpgAT-28D-5 Nomad 24.jpg

A little more work on the mapping this morning. I remapped a few parts and did the 1x1 mapping on them now I need to go back remap the new gear doors I forgot to remap them before. Duh! I'll get there, eventually.

Back