Creating 3-D Airports in RF 7

I'm on my phone right now, so I can't see how big the texture size is, but if you'll give me some dimensions you want, and post the highest quality texture you can get here, I'll work one up tonight. Want any curbs along the sides or anything like that?

Thanks abaser, took forever to find something decent to use. Website is called aeroscale.co.uk. ,I posted couple of pics from it. Hopefully these pics will explain what I would like as far as scale. The concrete square in first pic is scaled at 100%. that is the size I need for the tarmac to be. Each square contains 16 smaller squares, which at the airport where I work are about 20 sq. ft. each. I would like to be able to connect a few together like the RF concrete square pic shown if possible. Does this help?

Attachments

• ScreenShot1386694597.jpg
    ScreenShot1386694597.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 10
  • ConcreteBaseClean.jpg
    ConcreteBaseClean.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 15
Some more examples

Attachments

• ScreenShot1386738987.jpg
    ScreenShot1386738987.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Tarmac2_48-1.jpg
    Tarmac2_48-1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Something like this? I had to darken the pic you posted because it was nearly solid white in RF, but I went too dark with it. Ill lighten it up some if this is what you're wanting. Its scaled 50ftx50ft and is just a simple plane with no height to it.

Remove the .rfx when saving.

Attachments

• TARMAC.KEX.rfx
    1.8 KB · Views: 14
  • ScreenShot155.jpg
    ScreenShot155.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 14
andy Is that object gonna have that big killer speed bump at the seams if you butt 2 or more of them together in the sim? as discussed earlier?.......... if so I'd make the planned tarmac , the planned final size and shape of the whole tarmac all in 1 piece... like KE does (prob for same reason

@helihemi.... in the screeny in post #23 showing the larger AP in the top half
aren't you experiencing bumps between pieces? ...or is that all 1 piece ....if not 1 piece and you're not seeing bumps between pieces ...who did you do it?

@helihemi Depth buffer in a 3d field ?.....
I've never found or have seen a use for a depth buffer in a 3d field

Not saying there could never be ...just that I haven't ever needed one myself and cant recall ever seeing them used in a 3d field , maybe they have been is someones AP but since they can be made invisible ..... ....? and have never just bumped into something invsis either

Honestly, don't know. I'll have to check. I'm not into doing APs so the thought never crossed my mind. Maybe someone can DL the kex and let us know before I get off today.

I just put 3 side by side, using conform to ground, no bumps. Not even going from grass to the pad.

On one of the small maps like "Simple Grass" it wont matter io think they are perfectly leval ....
place in a random spot within Sierra Nevada's ground.... and problem's start .....float your spawn at 80,0000 ft ,....fugetaboutit

On one of the small maps like "Simple Grass" it wont matter io think they are perfectly leval ....

My brother enabled water at that map for his AP and raised the water a bit. It creates a strip of land in the center.

Edit: The flatlands and photofield maps are 100% flat.

I tried to import the kex file and got this error. What should have I done?

Jim

Something like this? I had to darken the pic you posted because it was nearly solid white in RF, but I went too dark with it. Ill lighten it up some if this is what you're wanting. Its scaled 50ftx50ft and is just a simple plane with no height to it.

Remove the .rfx when saving.

Attachments

• KEX Error Msg.jpg
    KEX Error Msg.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 18
Hi,

I imported the Grass on Grass. This is what I got.

Jim

Added 100ftSq,2by100ft & 4by100ft Projected Scenery Objects mapped with an
~ALPHA material.TGA's are Found in your
C:\Documents and Settings\****\My Documents\RealFlight G4\Scenery\AirportObjects Folder.
Modify to suit your needs!.
Dont Think U want a Static Scenery Object for what U R doing it would need 2 B Poly Rich for conform to ground 2 work adequately.:)

Attachments

• Grass on Grass.jpg
    Grass on Grass.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 14
Hi,

Which pieces did you put side by side and not get that killer speed bump? I really think you may have solved the issue. Can you load the Floating Runway and apply the same process to it and see if you can butt 2 pieces together and taxi from one to the other with out hitting a glass wall?

I just put 3 side by side, using conform to ground, no bumps. Not even going from grass to the pad.

Here's the .tga file. Again, remove the rfx, and place it in the same folder as the kex.

I just set 3 of these tarmac objects that I made side by side, using conform to ground. That's about the limit to my knowledge of AP editing. If it works for you, and you want the texture modified, let me know what you need. It seems dark to me.

Attachments

• ConcreteBaseClean.tga.rfx
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
Hi,

I imported the Grass on Grass. This is what I got.

Jim

The edges of the texture that a projected object use MUST be transparent. In 3ds Max the material must also be named ~ALPHA or ~CANOPY
KE really needs to work on this.

andy Is that object gonna have that big killer speed bump at the seams if you butt 2 or more of them together in the sim? as discussed earlier?.......... if so I'd make the planned tarmac , the planned final size and shape of the whole tarmac all in 1 piece... like KE does (prob for same reason

@helihemi.... in the screeny in post #23 showing the larger AP in the top half
aren't you experiencing bumps between pieces? ...or is that all 1 piece ....if not 1 piece and you're not seeing bumps between pieces ...who did you do it?

@helihemi Depth buffer in a 3d field ?.....
I've never found or have seen a use for a depth buffer in a 3d field

Not saying there could never be ...just that I haven't ever needed one myself and cant recall ever seeing them used in a 3d field , maybe they have been is someones AP but since they can be made invisible ..... ....? and have never just bumped into something invsis either

Buffers used as hangers.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1386909592.jpg
    ScreenShot1386909592.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Thanks abaser for your help. I am having a problem saving Tarmac KEX and oncreteBaseClean tga. When I go to save it wants to save as attachment.php file.

Back