Directory server connection failed

It is not just you Flare... Jeff "corrects" everyone here if they are wrong or unclear. Bugs me sometimes but once you look through it again, you usually agree with him... he really does have a good ability to remember obscure facts, so don't try to be the first to respond... If it is a day old and no-one took a stab at it... research it and then answer if it interests you.

A lot of things interest me... And I like helping people.:)

Yes, Flair. Do not try to help people when you are clueless about something. I hope I typed that slow enough for you to follow. :rolleyes:

Loaded up wireshark, launched realflight

watched several attempts to connect to 69.167.190.231. Knowing the developers would never hard code an IP address into the game, I knew they were using a CA name in their DNS servers for the game to connect up to the list server.

So, I just did a reverse WHOIS on that IP and up came multiplayer.knifeedge.com

Depending on what version of windows you are running, just go to RUN->CMD. Pops open a command prompt.

Do a simple ping command "ping multiplayer.knifeedge.com". You will see the server responds to the ping. Which, for security sake, I don't know why the server folks haven't disabled ping since that opens the door for much more nefarious purposes but hey, it makes it easier on my part to do some more research.

Now, if I knew the list service they were running, one could modify their local HOSTS file and redirect multiplayer.knifeedge.com to whatever IP address they want, which I tried messing around with but didn't spend too much time on it.

The point being, forcing ALL users to connect to their list services for the price we pay for this product is a very bad decision. Ubisoft learned this lesson and removed ALL their "Live Internet" requirements to play their games. If you sell a game and your servers go down, don't prevent users from continuing to use the game, INCLUDING multiplayer.

Interesting about the IP lookup. I wouldn't have thought (or cared) to do that. Only because I can't do anything about their server crashing.
The point being, forcing ALL users to connect to their list services for the price we pay for this product is a very bad decision. Ubisoft learned this lesson and removed ALL their "Live Internet" requirements to play their games. If you sell a game and your servers go down, don't prevent users from continuing to use the game, INCLUDING multiplayer.
Why is it customers always know the best way to do things? Based on my experience with Real Flight as a customer, it is extremely unlikely that KE will take your valuable advice. You are far from the first person to suggest he knows a better way for KE to handle their MP server. Setting up a VPN is still an option for you, even if you don't care to do it. In the RF documentation, you'll find that MP functionality is not guaranteed.

Well Jeff, KE is a wonderful company, but what happens in 2055 when they no longer want to support RF6? What happens if they get bought out and the new owner does not want to continue the service. There should be a backup process available that can be run on an alternate server and the ability to redirect to that list server.

This would protect our investment. I don't think that releasing the list server software in a compiled format and making an adjustment for alternates is asking for a lot. Here it is the Christmas season and all these new pilots just want to hang together and fly their new simulator.

So it is both a short term problem and a long term problem. In the sort term, there should be a method to restart the server remotely. I am not asking for someone to drive in and reset the system. Of course, the server could have a hardware crash. How about a second server that is reached only when the primary is not available? If the on-line portion of this product is to grow, it needs to be available....99999

It's called professional courtesy.

Anyone who releases software for commercial purposes understands that the only constant is change. If you have a multiplayer option and allow folks to connect up, you understand that you will never have 100% up time. Hell, even MMORPGs like World of Warcraft, with millions and millions of users still can't guarantee 100% up time.

So, since many of the same developers are just local peons like us as well, one would think they would provide "some" ability so users can still enjoy the game, with friends, even if their servers go down.

I can't recall the last time I had to pay a monthly fee to connect up to multiplayer Realflight, so why the strangle hold on multiplayer is confusing as best. Just because multiplayer isn't "Guaranteed" does not excuse them from at least providing an option to users to connect up independent of their servers.

<EDIT>
You can play Realflight multiplayer across the internet, however, you need to set up a Hamachi(now called LogMeIn Hamamchi) VPN service on each person who wants to join in. Hamachi allows up to 5 users for their free service. It costs about 30 bucks a year for a 32 member option. Hamachi creates a LAN across the internet to connected computers, so Realflight sees it like a LAN game. Downside, everyone who wants in has to install the Hamachi client, and by doing so, opens up their computer to everyone else on the VPN. Creates a serious computer risk to the folks who might not be as tech savvy.

Last edited:
Every time the server goes down, there are about 3 people who just can't understand why KE doesn't care enough to A, B, or C to keep the server running at all times. Nobody else is bothered as much about the issue. As long as it's been an issue, I don't see KE doing anything to ensure that MP is always available. Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong.

Three people (it was more this time) complain, but how many are upset/disappointed/postal about the situation. We cannot judge that. I checked out the G5.5 MP yesterday and it did not seem unusually busy. The P**** sims MP sites were busy and almost always busy on the weekends.... build it and they will come.

Should be up around 8am west coast time... 11am eastern. Not everyone uses RF in the same manner... some guys really like to fly with others and improve their technique. I have enjoyed getting to know a few guys that haunt one of the rooms.

Every time the server goes down, there are about 3 people who just can't understand why KE doesn't care enough to A, B, or C to keep the server running at all times. Nobody else is bothered as much about the issue. As long as it's been an issue, I don't see KE doing anything to ensure that MP is always available. Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:
It's only 7AM where they are. Give it time. A couple mods are on right now, but I don't know if they can fix it.

I'm at work so hopefully they'll fix it tonight. Since the servers were down I have to admit. I was pretty productive this weekend. Cleaned up the apt, went shopping with the gf, played a little bit of xbox, etc. She said she hopes the servers go down more often... :p

not comparing servers comparing the number of people in the audience... a nielson result. How big is the market for on-line services. Real Flight w/ a better product should be just as busy as the competition it would seem.

You're putting way too much thought into this, Nooner. You're just a customer. You don't need to analyze any numbers. Register your dissatisfaction with MP being down for as long as it was, and let it go at that. Let KE figure out what, if anything, should be done about it. If enough people cry about it as much as you are, maybe KE will do something to prevent it in the future.

Back