Extra NG

That's definitely a good looking table. My Father and Nephew used to make lots of furniture
Thanks. I’d like to maybe get into it a little more. I recently made a bed as well and used an old door out of the abandoned house I grew up in for the headboard.

Attachments

• 0C2D976E-2D79-4369-9D8A-43C11A8BED62.jpeg
    0C2D976E-2D79-4369-9D8A-43C11A8BED62.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
Thanks. I’d like to maybe get into it a little more. I recently made a bed as well and used an old door out of the abandoned house I grew up in for the headboard.
I like the way you left the door natural. My nephew, Richard, made just about everything in his house (before he died) God rest his soul.

Eating....... you’re funny.? More like my daughters softball team got cleared for practice for the first time since fall (he travel team, HS team was cancelled) and that’s a 2 hour drive one way. Add a 4 hour practice in between drives and that’s 8 hours. Then her pig escaped and went to visit the neighbors down the road a 1/2 mile away. Wrestled that thing for almost 2 hours. In the meantime, I threw my back out so I was done for the day.

Sunday started off with a one hour drive to pitching lessons (once again for my daughter), 1 1/2 hours there, then an hour home. Get home and eat only to have to build a kitchen table for a customer. Knocked that out around 10:30 that night so once again I was done physically but did do a little while I wound down from the day.

So, long story short (May be too late for that), I might’ve eaten once or twice this weekend.
Sounds like your pretty busy even during these times ! Your daughter has a pet pig? Wow. That sounds pretty cool actually. Anyways, love that table.

I like the way you left the door natural. My nephew, Richard, made just about everything in his house (before he died) God rest his soul.
We’re trying to do several things in the house like that. My wife loves the rustic look, so rustic it is. The table has several large knot holes and we opted to not sand it. The bench tops and table tops are really smooth wood though so splinters hopefully won’t be a problem. :unsure:

I've spent more time in the past couple days trying out Boof69's new technique to map, even let him play with it, but I eventually went back to the old planar mapping on the fuselage simply because I couldn't get a result I was pleased with. My main issue was with the openings on the bottom of the fuselage. We both were able to get the fuselage mapped well, but the faces that make up the opening would always end up being separated individually or in strips. I spent a lot of time trying to stitch everything back together, and probably would've eventually got it like I wanted it, but I finally said screw it and went back to my comfort zone. 15 minutes later and the fuselage was mapped and good to go. Now, for a standard fuselage, I'm all over this new technique, I just need to understand it better before trying one like this.

Anyway, here's where I'm at so far with mapping. I still have a few stretching issues to deal with as this is just my rough mapping. I hope to refine this stuff and maybe finish out the rest of what's modeled next time I get to it. Then it's on to creating some more details for this beast.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 23
Thanks tech. I mapped the wheels a little different than normal and I thought I’d share the process as it made quick work of them. Keep in mind this is for spoked wheels and I’m mapping the left and right sides as well as the faces creating the depth of the spokes at one time.

First, apply a UVunwrap clear modifier to clear any default unwrapping (this didn’t work quite as well before doing this step). Select all edges defining the depth, and loop select one side of the depth faces. Convert convert those edges to seams. Now select all the faces making up the wheel and peel. You will now have a left and right side, and the depth faces will be laid flat and in place. The tread portion was mapped as Boof69 shows in his thread about an easier mapping method and went flawlessly.

Now, when I did this I had prevent overlapping faces unchecked, so the depth faces do overlap. I have not tried having that option checked yet but will do that next time I work on it and report back if it changes anything. No pics yet as I was running late by the time I figured that out.

So here’s a quick shot of the wheel mapping. You can see the edges I marked as seams highlighted in green before doing the peel mapping. After marking those, one click and this is the result. The ONLY modification I made to the end result was straightening the tread edges as Boof69 points out in his video.

Attachments

• 617D2925-ECC3-45FB-B110-76706C62EE1A.jpeg
    617D2925-ECC3-45FB-B110-76706C62EE1A.jpeg
    301 KB · Views: 12
  • 6D2CC2B5-C185-46F6-B4BA-57E97D74E991.jpeg
    6D2CC2B5-C185-46F6-B4BA-57E97D74E991.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 13
  • CB1ABDE5-3CA5-4A0D-A28B-50BFBF607C82.jpeg
    CB1ABDE5-3CA5-4A0D-A28B-50BFBF607C82.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 14
One thing I discovered, and this may be common knowledge, but double clicking an edge while mapping will loop the selection. Works great for creating seams.

Back