Extra NG

So here’s a quick shot of the wheel mapping. You can see the edges I marked as seams highlighted in green before doing the peel mapping. After marking those, one click and this is the result. The ONLY modification I made to the end result was straightening the tread edges as Boof69 points out in his video.
If you made seam selections that trace the spokes and only one seam on the thickness the entire loop of polys that are the thickness will map as a single piece. I noticed all of the edges are green seams so the polys would break out individually, and need to be stitched.

If you made seam selections that trace the spokes and only one seam on the thickness the entire loop of polys that are the thickness will map as a single piece. I noticed all of the edges are green seams so the polys would break out individually, and need to be stitched.
No stitching required this way. Each poly defining the thickness is cut on 3 sides. The edge that isn’t marked as a seam becomes like a hinge and the face just rotates and lays flat. I’ll post a pic of the uv editor later to show what I mean.

No stitching required this way. Each poly defining the thickness is cut on 3 sides. The edge that isn’t marked as a seam becomes like a hinge and the face just rotates and lays flat. I’ll post a pic of the uv editor later to show what I mean.
Are you planning to paint the inside (depth of the wheel) a different shade of the same color to highlight it? If not why can't you select the whole wheel and map it using the x-axis and do the same thing to the back of the wheel then overlay them on the cs map. I've done that and they paint okay so I'm asking to learn something. Now with a texture I'm sure there would be stretching but for a solid color it works for me. I've also done the front and back of the wheel and overlaid them then selected the inner polys of the wheel and mapped those separately so I could paint it a slightly darker shade of the same color to highlight that part of the wheel. I'm definitely waiting to see what your uv map looks like.

I did this as an experiment really. It’s not so much for the wheels as most of the wheel will be covered by the wheel pants, but for future reference for items such as the holes in the bottom of my fuselage.

I did this as an experiment really. It’s not so much for the wheels as most of the wheel will be covered by the wheel pants, but for future reference for items such as the holes in the bottom of my fuselage.
Okay, got it. I was thinking maybe you were planning to put some sort of bitmap on it like I've seen on a few wheels out there. Sort of like those props with bitmaps on them.

Are you planning to paint the inside (depth of the wheel) a different shade of the same color to highlight it? If not why can't you select the whole wheel and map it using the x-axis and do the same thing to the back of the wheel then overlay them on the cs map. I've done that and they paint okay so I'm asking to learn something. Now with a texture I'm sure there would be stretching but for a solid color it works for me. I've also done the front and back of the wheel and overlaid them then selected the inner polys of the wheel and mapped those separately so I could paint it a slightly darker shade of the same color to highlight that part of the wheel. I'm definitely waiting to see what your uv map looks like.
Here's what the wheel UVs look like. Here you can see how the depth faces folded into place. If this was a more noticeable part, I would definitely fix the overlapping faces, but in this case I'll probably just leave them as is.

Here I've got the tread at the top, the main wheel area on the bottom left, and the two on the bottom right are the center wheel hub.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 05-22-20 at 10.58 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 05-22-20 at 10.58 PM.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 05-22-20 at 10.59 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 05-22-20 at 10.59 PM.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Very interesting, thanks. Why does the center hub mapping look like it has thin rectangles sticking out all the way around the hub but they're not connected? And the detail in the wheel mapping for the front and back look different. Or at least I think the front of the wheel is on the left side and the back of the wheel is in the middle. Sorry about the 20 questions but I'm really curious about what I see. And thanks for explaining what you're doing with it.

Very interesting, thanks. Why does the center hub mapping look like it has thin rectangles sticking out all the way around the hub but they're not connected? And the detail in the wheel mapping for the front and back look different. Or at least I think the front of the wheel is on the left side and the back of the wheel is in the middle. Sorry about the 20 questions but I'm really curious about what I see. And thanks for explaining what you're doing with it.
Ok, what you see on the center hub is basically what you’re seeing with the depth faces of the wheel. The “rectangles” are actually the faces making up the sides of the hub. They were cut on 3 sides, but the 4th edge is still attached to the center portion of the hub. When you peel map that, those faces will basically “hinge” on the edge that’s still attached to the center. For example, if you have a cardboard box, cut that box along the corners so that you can spread it out and make it flat, but still one piece. That’s all I’m doing here except with a cylinder.

As for the wheel halves looking different, one has the depth faces still attached to it while the other doesn’t. Give me a few and I’ll post a pic hopefully clearing things up.

Ok, what you see on the center hub is basically what you’re seeing with the depth faces of the wheel. The “rectangles” are actually the faces making up the sides of the hub. They were cut on 3 sides, but the 4th edge is still attached to the center portion of the hub. When you peel map that, those faces will basically “hinge” on the edge that’s still attached to the center. For example, if you have a cardboard box, cut that box along the corners so that you can spread it out and make it flat, but still one piece. That’s all I’m doing here except with a cylinder.

As for the wheel halves looking different, one has the depth faces still attached to it while the other doesn’t. Give me a few and I’ll post a pic hopefully clearing things up.
Okay cool that makes total sense, the peeling is what I saw but didn't realize what I was looking at. Thanks for the explanation. I'm heading off the bed I'll checkout your new picture when I get up. Later.

So what is the reason you wouldn't map those spoke hole thickness polys as simple strips and stack them in one spot for instance? Just curious.

So what is the reason you wouldn't map those spoke hole thickness polys as simple strips and stack them in one spot for instance? Just curious.
I guess I just have this idea in my head and I have this need to make it work. In my mind, I like to know what everything on the map is. If I were to come across a map where someone mapped the thickness as strips, I'd more than likely go crazy trying to figure out what the hell they went to.

Anyway, here's another look at it. In the second pic, I outlined the holes in red, and highlighted the "hinge points" in blue.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 05-23-20 at 01.17 AM.PNG
    Screen Shot 05-23-20 at 01.17 AM.PNG
    928.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 05-23-20 at 01.20 AM 001.PNG
    Screen Shot 05-23-20 at 01.20 AM 001.PNG
    758.6 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for explaining that Andy, you mentioned the cardboard box being cut so all the pcs. that make it up, will lay flat, yet still be one pc. of cardboard. Having worked in a sheetmetal shop, that very type of "layout" is what we had to learn, in order to make various parts of duct for heating and A/C ducting, and anything else that a customer wanted. Our shop had a suit of armor in the office made of copper as an example,it was very cool.... SO, it made perfect since to me me when you used that as an analogy.... (y) (y)

I can see your point there. Grouping those parts with the wheel should make finding them easier, but if you decide to bake an AO map those are exactly the kind of places that benefit from it.

So I started making this happen tonight. I'll be throwing a DA 120 up front on this one, and I can already tell this is about to be my biggest modeling challenge to date.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 31
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 39
  • desert-aircraft-da-120_1.jpg
    desert-aircraft-da-120_1.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 37
That DA is looking Fantastic Andy...!!!..Dare I ask, are going to model the engine with all/most of the detail/parts in the third pic...???...How far do you plan too go with it..??

That DA is looking Fantastic Andy...!!!..Dare I ask, are going to model the engine with all/most of the detail/parts in the third pic...???...How far do you plan too go with it..??
We’ll see where it goes. I’m going try and make it all but who knows.

Back