Extra NG

Got a lot of the mapping done tonight. Still need to work on the canopy area, cowl, wheels, and inside fuselage faces. Not sure if I'll map the pilot or not. In all honesty, this one hasn't been all that bad and is going fairly quick.

Attachments

• 1mapped.jpg
    1mapped.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 13
It`s really looking nice at this point. Just curious, when you say "canopy area", are you referring the area right in front of the canopy, (purple area) ??, looks like some stretching..

Last edited:
So, this has been fun (insert sarcasm here). Pretty much done mapping everything that's getting mapped. Still might do the pilot depending on how much room I have left in the 1x1. I'll probably take the weekend off and get back to this next week sometime. By the time I get back on it, I'll know what I'm going to do for the CS.

Attachments

• 3mapped.jpg
    3mapped.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 11
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 1x2.jpg
    1x2.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 10
No pics tonight because there’s really not much to show. However, mapping is complete and waiting to export to stay the CS once I decide what I’m doing. Naming has begun as well. These late nights are starting to get to me so I’ll get back to it in a couple of days once I get some much needed rest.

Just out of curiosity, how long should it take RF to convert a .fbx to kex? Going on 5 minutes now with no progress. Normal?

Back in the day things were almost instantaneous.

Just out of curiosity, how long should it take RF to convert a .fbx to kex? Going on 5 minutes now with no progress. Normal?

It doesn't take me long maybe 5 to 10 seconds. How fast is your computer? Of course maybe it doesn't like the FBX your tool puts out. I know legoman mentioned converting an FBX from "binary" to "ascii" but I don't remember what tool he was using to output the FBX.

Or maybe your plane is so perfect it can't comprehend it.

Typically my laptop runs ok. It’s an older gamer. This is my first attempt in years to do this so I may have done something wrong on export so who knows. 10 minutes in almost and I get an error stating I saved my CS wrong. Forgot to save as a tga instead of jpg. Trying again but same situation. Just sitting.

Typically my laptop runs ok. It’s an older gamer. This is my first attempt in years to do this so I may have done something wrong on export so who knows. 10 minutes in almost and I get an error stating I saved my CS wrong. Forgot to save as a tga instead of jpg. Trying again but same situation. Just sitting.
Yeah that doesn't sound right to me. My system is fairly fast is why I ask, a much slower system would take longer. But not 5 or 10 minutes I'd think.

After 3 tries, I finally got it to import but either I’ve got a ton of modifications/repairs to make or something went wrong (so bad I’m not taking pics and posting). I went back into blender, changed a couple times and trying again, but it’s taking right at 10 minutes for the conversion.

it has been a few years since I have had this issue (RF8). I dont remember which error cause issues at crashes/hangs at which point. I think a bad smoothing group would cause issues on import. more specificly one face with two groups I think. try exporting the model without smoothing data. the other error was very large collison meshes/auto generated meshes would crash on aircraft select screen.

the binary/ascii for 9.5/evo binary semmingly works fine unless you need NUPS. but the guides specify ascii

it has been a few years since I have had this issue (RF8). I dont remember which error cause issues at crashes/hangs at which point. I think a bad smoothing group would cause issues on import. more specificly one face with two groups I think. try exporting the model without smoothing data. the other error was very large collison meshes/auto generated meshes would crash on aircraft select screen.

the binary/ascii for 9.5/evo binary semmingly works fine unless you need NUPS. but the guides specify ascii
Can you elaborate on the binary/ascii? I have no clue what you’re talking about there.

Can you elaborate on the binary/ascii? I have no clue what you’re talking about there.

the version of blender I use is old (2.82a) and it does not have the ascii option for FBX only binary. if I export FBX files and dont convert them to ascii RF seems to handle it I may be overlooking some issue. I think someone on the forums made a plugin to export FBX ascii files with special handle for NUPs.

I use the FBX exporter built into blender which produces a binary FBX and run it through the autodesk converter to convert it to ascii

OK, I started not to post any of this, but decided to show the issues I'm running into. In the first two pics, you can see that there are parts that aren't showing the .tga file which is all blue at the moment. After about 100 exports/imports, I finally figured out how to completely remove ALL material/texture references. I reassigned the tga to the base parts and bingo. I've finally got the correct coloring where it should be. However, now I have to deal with a smoothing group problem. This issue IS better than it was at first, but there are still problem areas. I'll update again as I progress. I have a feeling there is some small setting I am overlooking, or there is always the possibility I have bad geometry in the problem areas. Since getting this into Blender, I have had to cleanup a TON of double verts/edges. So, it's getting real close to a CS, but still not ready yet.

Attachments

• trash.JPG
    trash.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 17
  • trash2.JPG
    trash2.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 17
  • RF.JPG
    RF.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 17
  • RF1.JPG
    RF1.JPG