G5.0 Video Game or Sim?

12oclockhigh said:
I don't use every feature of all products that I buy, but I recognize that they are important to other people. So if real flight can expand the number of people buying the product.... that means that my cost could/should go down.
And that will happen.... when?

I fully understand the need (or at least the desire) to increase the target market. But as an RC flier who is not interested in gaming at all, I'm not happy about paying for all the gaming features that seem to be absorbing the development resources these days.... and "justifying" the price. I think if KE wanted to satisfy both worlds they would offer a version that has no MP or gaming features.... but retains all the sim features.... at a discount, with an upgrade path to add the gaming and MP features if/when needed.

Paul

pgoelz said:
I think if KE wanted to satisfy both worlds they would offer a version that has no MP or gaming features
It's called G4.5. I use both. If you want it cheaper, get RF Basic. They can't please everyone.

Last edited:
jeffpn said:
It's called G4.5. I use both. If you want it cheaper, get RF Basic. They can't please everyone.
I own G4.5 and it has MP as well as gaming features. Which I paid for and have no interest in. RF basic was a bit TOO basic for my needs.

Yes, you can please (nearly) everyone.... if you listen to them.

Paul

You're suggesting that RF has several different versions, depending on what options that the user wants. And make sure that all of them are upgradable. I don't see how that would make the versions cheaper, if they have to support all of them. Same reason there's package options in cars, instead of a la carte options, the way it used to be. It's cheaper in the long run.

My car came with a spare tire... in 12 years I have never used it... I still like knowing that it is there. No I don't need it... I can wait for a tow truck or assistance to arrive. So why should I have to pay for a spare tire???

Same argument. Because most people would like to have both even if I never use it. At this point, I think you are just trolling. They came out with a better product with more features and kept the same price and even provided an upgrade track. Who can be upset with that? I am not happy they took the big fins off the cadillac. (not really)... I vote with my checkbook. So don't buy it, they might listen to you, but I don't think so in this case.

Last edited:
Trolling? Since when is providing customer feedback (and generally positive at that) considered trolling? I bought RealFlight (after owning RFD for about ten years) and I am happy with it. I am merely suggesting that sales might be increased (that's a good thing, right) if there were a couple less expensive options with an upgrade path. I am not suggesting several versions of the program. I am suggesting ONE program with features that could be enabled with an additional purchase, either by buying a new license key or by downloading optional components. Support the ONE program at the top level and you support all versions.

I really think you frequent users on this forum need to re-examine your attitude towards people you don't know very well. If you think product improvement suggestions are trolling, that fits right in with the attitude here. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll continue to try to help with airport creation issues as I gain experience but I'm done posting casually here.

Paul

Last edited:
Well, then good... at a certain point, I think people try to provoke an argument. This whole argument about it's a game not a simulator is rather silly to me... that is my opinion and just as polar as yours. I think that I was respectful towards you... you have spoken, you apparently are not going to buy.... they listen to that and only to that. The idea of a smorgasbord program is difficult to implement and like nickel and dime-ing. I wish that the expansion packs came as part of the central program. I sure don't want to pay an extra $240 (+/-$40*6ea) though.

If you think about it... $200 for a "game" is a pretty darn expensive game for Santa to slide down the chimney with. Well at least in my neighborhood anyway. If it gets more people out at the field, I don't care what they stuff into RF.

Last edited:
I find it a bit amusing to see so many people in the years I've been here who suggest that the way to increase sales is to implement their requested feature. That stategy has been used many times before, and it will be used many times again.

Sim or Game

Sorry you don't like the idea of a game. I am a new flyer but an OLD guy. I bought 4.5 for the sim and man it sure did help me. I bought 5 for the game. I have a son in Nebraska that is also a new flyer but we have enjoyed playing games together since he was a little tyke. Now we fly on Multiplayer together and jump on the game with guns and rockets blazing. Depends on what you make of it. For me, I LOVE it. :eek: :cool:

Is jbourke and the GP dude just sitting waiting for marketing advice from the anonymous forum drones? Of course not. :rolleyes:
Let's say KE and GP have marketing guys whose sole purpose is to determine how to best market this piece of software.
Why would you folks think they do not have a marketing strategy?

What they have now seems to be working quite well for them.

Could you get your son in Nebraska (go big red) to get my dad to turn it on and use it??? :) :) I would love to fly with my dad.

Great story...

I agree with phrank, think about it, compared to jbourke and the real head honchos and decision makers, we're lobsters in a cage (metaphor meaning we're inferior in a way) to them. Now lets say someone did have abrilliant idea, I doubt they would take the idea how it is, they would probably mold it, and tinker with it till it is even better. After all, they make these great games for a living, well, some its more, and some its less, but they would know more than a whole lot of us here including me :D

RFRulez said:
I agree with phrank,
And also me, since he was expounding on my post. My point is this: make all the suggestions that you want, KE does look to us for them. I never would have thought that they would have added voice chat. People don't use it much, but they certainly did ask for it frequently. Combat, same thing. People have been asking for that for a year or two. Make requests, just stop saying that it would increase their sales. You have no idea whether it will or not. And like phrank said, of course KE/GP has a markeiting department whose job it is to study such things. Stop suggesting that you're the one who knows how they can increase sales.

Lets hope this thread stops at that. Great point Jeff, and for any one who disagrees with G5 you can cry about it, mope about, be depressed or get over it! You have no control over knife edge, Great Planes, or Realflight unless you are a member of that company.

phrank said:
Is jbourke and the GP dude just sitting waiting for marketing advice from the anonymous forum drones? Of course not. :rolleyes:
Let's say KE and GP have marketing guys whose sole purpose is to determine how to best market this piece of software.
Why would you folks think they do not have a marketing strategy?

What they have now seems to be working quite well for them.

What they have now may be working quite well for them.

However, it may not be working for true R/C enthusiasts (important customers).

Nothing was lost, if anything new features were gained.
Please state which "true R/C enthusiasts" features were lost from G4.5 to G5. :confused:

slowflight said:
However, it may not be working for true R/C enthusiasts (important customers).

OK kiddies! Marketing 101:

You may bet true RC enthusiasts (whatever that means), false RC enthusiasts, non RC enthusiasts, and other iterations of customers' race, ethnicity, persuasion and ______(insert any descriptive terms above underscore) are ALL important customers here.

Wowie Kazowie Bozo! The Big-Top is really teeming with plankton tonight! :D

Charles

There was another thread in the 4.5 forum that discussed all the possible enhancements that folks would have liked to see in G5 that were improvements in RC flight simulation

The list was quite extensive. Instead of improving the simulation, they spent valuable resources on game play. If I want to play a game, I have a ton of options for that, which don't give me nearly as much trouble when I try to join multi-player combat sessions on the web (and cost half as much as RF).

The bottom line is that when G6 comes around, unless Knife Edge/Great Planes changes their strategy and make significant improvements to the simulator, my money will be going to Phoenix instead.

Where are you going ?

I bought G5, because RealFlight was highly rated in the past.

Where are you going ?
Saying goodbye to true R/C enthusiasts, and compete with big boys such as Nintendo ?
True R/C enthusiasts may say goodbye.

Back