How-to CS

Status
Not open for further replies.
problems

I am having the same issues as acenh007. I also am using vista. I have gone over the how to cs page and dont know what I am doing wrong. What is "suffixes on" ? How do I check this? I am using Gimp to color and am saving color scheme as.

Thanks,

Trevor

Gimp user...

Save the color scheme you want to edit with Gimp, in the RF sim. Go to AIRCRAFT, then click on SAVE COLOR SCHEME AS, then rename the CS to your choice. Open the CS in the sim, to create a DDS file. After this, look under your RF directory for COLOR SCHEMES, open the folder. look for the new name, and open the TGA file with the GIMP program.

change the colors you want then go FILE, SAVE AS, REPLACE, then uncheck both boxes and press SAVE. Go to RF, and click on your CS name in the sim. if you do this right, you should see the change after the DDS changes.

I created the Gimp Users Guide To Color Schemes, to compliment this thread. You will find helpful hints and tips to make your CS the best it can be.

Last edited:
I have in the past been able to edit in the way you say in your post but now when I try to save the CS it says unable to find it and it will not save .

also when I try to use downloaded ones they do not show up in the drop down..............WTF.

Mark

mbergs said:
I have in the past been able to edit in the way you say in your post but now when I try to save the CS it says unable to find it and it will not save .

also when I try to use downloaded ones they do not show up in the drop down..............WTF.

Mark

Check the paths in the .colorscheme files ( these are merely TEXT files that you can open in Notepad ).

Make sure that G3 sees that the listed folders do exist.

would the path be in the cs file or in the original plane file......the G3 supplied planes are the one with the problem the extra add ons are ok

If you go in to edit the model it show up with the correct colors.........

Last edited:
In....

my documents you should have a folder named RealFlight G3.5. open that folder and look inside for COLORSCHEMES, once opened look for the colorscheme of your choice.

Now if you see no folder named REALFLIGHT G3.5, do this. Go to START, then MY COMPUTER, then hit LOCAL C:, then open PROGRAM FILES, then REALFLIGHT G3.5, Then open COLORSCHEMES from there and find the one your looking for. hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just went in a painted up the trainer I am going to learn with. Added colors to make it pop out a bit, now a trip to the hobby shop is in order for monocoat. :D

Adobe CS3 is a PITB. very confusing for a first time user.

One crucial thing to remember is to save over (overwrite) the original file that you started painting on, otherwise it will revert back to the original RF scheme. (usually that file name stays highlighted in the color schemes folder)

Keith.

hi

herc40 said:
Using Gimp, if you "SAVE AS " then "REPLACE" the original CS, the "UNCOMPRESS" will pop up automaticly. Just click the check marked box to deselect them. Now press save and it should be right.
Just a helpful hint. Good job, Alex!!!!!

where do i download gimp iv bin looking soo hard and just cnt find it anywhere could any1 send me link plz

CS wire frame/mesh template

If this was posted before, I can't find it.

How do I get a wire frame/mesh template that I can use to paint over to create a CS?

I'd like to create a wire mesh layer so I can create a separate paint layer.

Mike

Might have to ask

Sorry Mike

You can not get the Original Mesh Wire frame Template unless the Maker of the model up loaded it to the swaps as the Color Scheme ( blank CS ) of that model, uploaded it as a second CS, placed it on a build thread, or uploaded it to the Net some where on his public space. Only thing you can do is the take a copy of the CS your wanting to work one and try to make a new layer.

If the model is not a RF box set one, the maker might have a master map laying around some where. All you can do is ask.

Prop and Spinner Puzzel

Thanks for the response. I've managed to produce the two CS's I wanted, just look on the swaps for sukhoi and you'll see two CS's for a sukhoi 26. Both are CS's used by 3d HobbyShop for their SU-26mx models. I like them a lot and I own the blue/silver/white Red Bull 49in model.

Speaking of that, I want to change the spinner and prop texture/color on both of them, but there is no file or area on the tga file that I can see to set the color/texture of the spinner or prop... :confused:

any ideas?...that may be "hard wired" in the original version provided by RF.

Mike :)

It depends upon the model.

Sometimes the spinner color is determined by what appears to be an unused area of the color scheme.

Try changing the unused background colors and see if this affects the spinner.

Remember though that the spinner may not be mapped to the color scheme.

MikeVictor said:
... . . . . I can see to set the color/texture of the spinner or prop... :confused:

any ideas?...that may be "hard wired" in the original version provided by RF.

Mike :)

Most people don't map the spinner unless it is a big one that would look good painted. They just assign it a solid unchangeable texture color. Even if it is mapped it might not look like what you want it to after it is painted. they might of mapped it sidewise, or dead on from the front. The unfolded one are great for painting on.

The Prop is a Locked in to RF and can not be painted or modeled.

I like the "Dead on from the front" ones, as I can use blending tools to achieve a fairly realistic look. It is also easy to do spiral paint schemes with these.

The side mapped ones are a bit more problematic, for things like blends, and often they create a pulsing effect in the sim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back