Katana Revisit

I think you're always best to use the ~CANOPY material name for RF models, whether you bake the canopy or map it. That way you'll see the material when flying from the cockpit. That doesn't have anything to do with your issue, though.

This is what it looks like in my Wings. Maybe due to different lighting, it looks differently. I don't see your issue. Is it a problem in RF? I'm betting all you can do is to smooth the canopy, to add polies. I doubt it'd be worth it.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 6
Well, Ive been running this through my head for a day or two now, but Im going to go back to the Electra and get that one knocked out. I am about to take a major turn on this project and Id like to get my previous obligations done before I take the time to rework this bird. Just to give a couple of teaser shots and a little idea of what Im going to attempt, here's a little peek.

Attachments

• 100_2246.jpg
    100_2246.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_2236.jpg
    100_2236.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_2205.jpg
    100_2205.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_2235.jpg
    100_2235.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 30
With nothing going on today, I decided to start this build over for the last time. This will be the last go around for this model on my end.

With that being said, here's where Im at so far.

Poly count at 4010 with servos and linkages. There is lots of room for refining though.

As said in the above post, that's what Im going for.

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 16
After a few tries, I finally got the fuse hollowed out and ready to start forming the inside details.

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 9
  • zzz1.jpg
    zzz1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 8
Yup! My modeling time has become somewhat limited and wings is a comfort zone for me. I can get more done since I know what more tools do than I can in Max trying to figure out WHAT I need to look for.:p Im hoping (and also knowing at the same time) that I wont have the import/export problems I had with Blender.

At this point, 3ds max is my comfort zone. But hey, whatever gets the job done for you! If you like a tool, you may as well use it. Good models can and have been built in Wings, Blender, and 3ds max.

I posted pics on the pervious page. One shows the bottom of the cowl with intake end exhaust openings. I believe it's also 3 pieces.

OK Jeffery, What's going on here? I bridged across the top of the fuse to make the cross member. After forming it to the desired shape, I decided to hole the underside. Doing so causes these nice black areas to start popping up all over the place. Ever see this before?

First pic is before, second is after.

Attachments

• zzz1.jpg
    zzz1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 12
  • zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 12
You probably have invalid geometry. I can't really see well on my phone. Send me the file, and I'll look at it when I get home.

A quick motor placement via Flex's Brison 6.4. All in all, 10,812 polys so far.

I really gotta work on my materials for better renders.:p

Attachments

• katana_12.png
    katana_12.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 19
I usually select all of the default materials, and assign a new material with less specular and gloss. Then I close without saving.

Well, Its not much, but I got started on the pipes and the electronics tonight.

With motor, control rods, and servo horns, Im sitting just under 13k polys. The motor accounts for 6k of those.

Attachments

• katana_12.png
    katana_12.png
    129 KB · Views: 14
Thanks. There's going to be plenty more to go with them. Just wish there was a way to create them like using splines in max, but, that's another story.:p

In using this motor, a lot of details will get painted on instead of modeled I believe.

Ive looked at it, and there are a ton of polys to be gained I believe. Just haven't had the time to do it yet. It took two days to finally get the hard lines set up where I wanted. Time is just not on my side lately.

Back