Mig-15_real or model?

rjmanzuk

Dusted this one off from my archives (having flown Mig-15s early in my USAF career, I have a continuing interest ... which my wife calls an affliction).)

What do you think: real? or model?

Model

I go with model. If that was real someone would be in a lot of trouble. My guess is someone had a gear failure and was putting it down nicely :rolleyes:

2 vs 2

2 for model and 2 for real ... I'll wait for a few more inputs and let you know tomorrow. At least half of those already voting will be right. :p

Real

Real.

1/ Looks like a real Airport. (But some real big RC planes fly out of Real Airports anyway, so that didn't clinch it for me)
2/ Grass Scale looks like it is either some bad Lawn bowl grass or just ordinary Grass which looks small because the plane is Real. this is clinching it for me.
3/ The dust height is also a good indicator.
4/ looking again at the Zoom and its comparable size to the Airport Landing Aids in the Background also Gave me a clue.

Ok. now I am going to be Second guessing myself on those > :)

I'm going to say model just to keep the tie. :D
It looks real but there's just something off about it. My local Air Force museum has a Mig-15, maybe I should go take a look at it and see if I can figure what's putting me off about it. They also have a 21 and when I first saw it I was a little shocked at how small it was, which is kind of why I'm abivalent about this, but I'll stick my vote firmly in the model column.

Here is a Coolish website I found whilst trying to find the info on this Birds incident (If any ;) )
http://www.1001crash.com/index-page-video-lg-2-crashes-2.html

one point I am now Second guessing myself is the height of the Photographer . compare the Canopy height to the Horizon and it appears the Photographer is Above that Height.
second point I am now Second guessing myself is the Landing aids in the Background appear a little Tilted.

Nice shot RJ :)

Fake! (not a "real" mig.

the dust plume behind the plane is too small for the angle and altitude.
it would be plowing a huge trough with giant ammounts of dust at that angle and height.
just my $.02
crashed

real? or model?

I'd have to say model. The real thing I should think would display greater deflection of the flaps. The grass runway.... don't think so!

Looks real to me, but if it isn't, shows you how realistic these scale jets can look! If it is an RC Jet, then it has to be a large scale one, I have seen those with all control horns well hidden. The other "tell" that this is real, is the angle of attack on landing with flaps down, most RC jets I have seen go in, go in nose first or relatively flat..but then I have seen a few land like this... :eek: !!!!!

Last edited:
Model FTW. The back end is touching, and a real bird would have some serious torque on the body causing the wings and body to bend. The dust plume would also be much bigger, and the pilot would have ejected if he knew he was going to be in this situation.

Yes, and based upon the relationship to the ground marks and grass, this is no where near as large as a full scale jet.

The REAL thing

From a friend who flew wing with me at Nellis AFB when we had the privilege of flying Migs:
"Subject: Bottom of a MIG 15's Loop

You don't get any closer to bustin' your @$$ than this............

Contributer says : " The tail strike occurred during a 1990 airshow in
Harrison, Arkansas. Kelly, who was a technician for the FAA and somewhat
of a camera buff, was tracking this guy flying a MiG-15 with his camera.

The pilot had just completed a loop and misjudged his pull-out. Everyone
considering themselves as potential victims, took-off running in all directions.

But Kelly had a non-threatening position with strong motivation to take the
picture. So just as the MiG scraped the ground, Kelly captured this rare
image. Had it been circulated at the time, this clear, once in a lifetime
photograph might have earned an award.

A few weeks later, in Fort Smith, Kelly was showing me these pictures he
had developed at a local Walmart. I asked him for a copy and now have it
hanging on my office wall - a clear depiction of the tiny difference between life
and death.

Oh, by the way, the guy just flew a wide circle, lowered his landing gear,
touched down then taxied in showing very minor damage.
"
Some of you really have a good eye. Congratulations to the "real" crowd.

Back