Mig-15_real or model?

Neither, I cannot tell if there are servos or any thing else :confused: , and I'm not able to determine it as model or real jet :confused: ...

model i've seen plenty of pics of rc planes with stuff in the background that makes them look real. and the grass is iffy but like i've said i've seen pics where rc looked real. gear failed and the guy backed off put them flaps down and set her down real nice in the short grass near the end of the runway at the airport where the jet rally was taking place. :p

o and theres no thrust or the dust cloud would be a lot bigger

no that real it happened at the ann arbor municapal airport
and i belive it "landing" on runway 12-30 (a grass runway)

Last edited:
wow thats a gental landing then that guy is good not to be digging a trench and kicking up enough dust to make a sand storm jelious

I'm not calling anybody a liar, I thought it was a model, Because, The brakes aren't deployed and the gear wasn't down, AND, why, if he was doing a loop, are the flaps down? Oh, and the antennas/sensors are on positions not seen on MiGs of that time, sure, I have seen the Red bull 17, It has considerable changes done to it, and they would probably do that to their 15, but, that is not a red bull 15. Perhaps you could give us some more information, maybe about the Number, or color, ect...any historical bacround on the aircraft could help convince me that it is a real aircraft.

Last edited:
Vikingwarrior said:
I'm not calling anybody a liar, I thought it was a model, Because, The brakes aren't deployed and the gear wasn't down, AND, why, if he was doing a loop, are the flaps down? Oh, and the antennas/sensors are on positions not seen on MiGs of that time, sure, I have seen the Red bull 17, It has considerable changes done to it, and they would probably do that to their 15, but, that is not a red bull 15. Perhaps you could give us some more information, maybe about the Number, or color, ect...any historical bacround on the aircraft could help convince me that it is a real aircraft.
i can help with ehy the breacks and the general things in a landing
there nod down because in a energency landing with no gear the book says to keep flaps and breaks to a low level so you dont end up stalling

... sorry i cant help with the other stuff you asked
brendan

About the dust trail, If it is a Real mig 15, why isn't a bigger plume, afterall, The MiG-15 Klimov engine gives it 5952 lb of thrust, It's not much by today's standards, but it would kick up some dust, The dust trail behind the image is just from the rear dragging, and it's not like the engines are shut off, or else it would have crashed.

disturbed666 said:
could've shut it down at the last second to help prevent any fire danger
Then It wouldn't have been able to recover and Crashed into the ground, which would result in a fire and explosion. It's a good point though

I'm not sure why we still feel a need a question the picture and the explanation but, here goes ...

There is plenty of "dust" in the picture to indicate that it's a real Mig (look closer) and that this could very well be a tail strike caused by doing a loop too close to the ground. 5952 pounds of thrust would push any amount of dust well behind the impact point. with the direction of that thrust - as seen in the picture the direction is at about a 70 to 80 degree angle to the ground - the resulting dust would also be held in it's blast stream - along the ground. The engine is obviously close to full power - there is a long stream of dust along the ground behind the Mig - if the engine wasn't at full power the dust wouldn't be blown back along the ground and there would be a plume close enough to the tail to see it in the photo. If the photo showed more distance behind the Mig you could see a plume of the generated dust circling higher into the air as the jet blast from the Mig disipated.

As an example; look at a picture of any jet with a smoke trail behind them and you'll see a gap between the jet and the beginning of that smoke trail. The jet blast is so strong that the smoke isn't even visable for several feet behind the jet.

Yep it's real! I saw it!

I just ran across this forum searching for Mig 17 stuff. I was at the air show in Harrison, AR when the Mig touched the ground. I was a volunteer pumping Smoke oil when this happened. I saw the plane go flat coming out of the loop and just knew he was going to crash. I was down a little too low to see the plane when it touched the ground but saw a huge dust cloud boil up and then a couple of seconds later saw the plane climbing out. I couldn't believe my eyes. I too have an 8X10 glossy picture of this hanging on my wall. The fellow that took the picture had some copies made and my flight instructor gave me a copy. After he landed the FAA guys descended on the aircraft for about an hour then the local mechanic and the pilot got a rubber hammer and a dolly and started beating on the tail section until they had it looking pretty good. I guess the FAA guys OK'd it to fly cause he flew it out later. I heard the pilot was killed a few years later in another crash but can't confirm that and don't know what he was flying when it happened. If anyone knows the pilot's name it would be interesting to see what happened to him.

Definitive "it's real"

I know it's real because my brother Kelly is the photographer. The photos posted on the internet are scans from the enlargements people, mostly from FAA, asked him for. He has the original negatives, better Pdfs, and prior/post photos of the sequence. He was there at the Harrison, Arkansas Air Show as an FAA technician but off duty taking photos. To answer some of the posters' comments:
- it is a MiG 17, not 15.
- actual year was around 1992-95 (he doesn't remember exactly) as that was when he was with the FAA in Arkansas and he was still in the USAF in 1990.
- that is weather station gear, not landing aids, in the background which is why they don't look right.
- the angle of the photo is because he was on top of the FAA van.
- he couldn't actually tell what was happening at the time due to his location and the restricted visual field looking through the camera lens. The photo was pure serendipity in the sequence he was taking of plane.

Back