Northop XB-35/YB-49 Build

Looks FANTASTIC Legoman...!!!!, got a question though regarding the canopies, specifically the small dome and the rear canopy......who sits in those positions, any idea ...???

The rear canopy has one of the gunners who faces rearward he also has a periscope to see/target below the fuselage. Hole behind the pilot seat under the front canopy. Has a double ended periscope for a second gunner he can see above and below too. The small bubble i am not real sure on but i think it is for the navigator to do star navigation. As his station is more or less beneath it. He can stand up and get his head and sectant into the bubble. With a table to chart the course of the plane. Could also be for more eyes to spot fighter attacks.

I found this, you can enlarge it, first, just CLICK ON the the pic. THEN, look at your cursor (you`ll see it is a magnifying glass), click on it and the pic. will enlarge once again, so it`s legible THEN, you can move left/right...up/down with the scroll wheel or the side/bottom screen controls to view all the parts and/or naming of the numbered parts etc....???...

Last edited:
There are also bunks for relief crew to rest in between the main deck and the tail gunner position. I have seen the cutway before but i had not seen that the steering wheel door is a two piece one moves forward and the other rearward.
Well,... regarding the front gear doors, I`m glad I posted the pic...apparently/hopefully it will help you in some way. I`ve never seen a front gear retract sideways, but it makes since, do to the cockpit layout. Would have been a love/hate thing with me if I was a designer/engineer on the plane...LOL... :unsure: :unsure:

I'm most intrigued that both front gear doors would act quite strongly as airbrakes... as off-center ones at that!
They are only open while they gear is part way up/down. They are not super off center. Variations in engine power from one engine to the next. would probobly give a larger change drag/thrust. I was thinking more how much hydrualic power would be needed to rotate the door at climb out and final approach. But i guess the back half of the door would help balence the load on the actuator.

Well, think about the doors as dive brakes for a moment, they`ve already figured out the hydraulic pressure at this point to deploy them, due to the development of dive brakes on previous planes/warbirds prior to the XB-35/YB-49, in either case (climb out/final approach), the math has already been done to make sure the doors open/close. hydraulics are very powerful..... ?

It is hard to believe that the B-35 and (X)B-36 where Both competing for The USAAC sent out the initial request on 11 April 1941, asking for a 450 mph (720 km/h) top speed, a 275 mph (443 km/h) cruising speed, a service ceiling of 45,000 ft (14,000 m), and a maximum range of 12,000 miles (19,000 km) at 25,000 ft (7,600 m). They just look so different

ScreenShot1628374372.jpg

Also re did the Turbocharger outlets with the wastegate exhaust stacks
2021-08-07 18_22_10-Paint 3D.jpg2021-08-07 18_36_41-Paint 3D.jpg

Back